SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what if your site doesn't make money?

So you have a site, it doesn't make money, what do you do?

Make a second site that you know will make money and cross promote.

Member Cloughie is doing this. He owns WannaBeBig.com and while he does make advertising revenue off the site its nothing to write home about. So he's starting a supplement company and he is going to use his site to market his products.

There is no greater partnership than that between a content site and an ecommerce or affiliate site. So if you have a site that doesn't make money, make a site to compliment it.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the other option is to make a site that doesn't support the current one and run it seperately. That's what I'm doing. I have a website I kind of run as a hobby and I don't really mind paying for it but I'll be launching a new site soon that should more than pay for both.

Say for instance you have a site on pencil collecting or something, you're probably not going to get many high paying advertisers. It'll be hard to develop something to cross promote that with so why not just go for something new that's a proven money maker? Plus that way you don't get burnt out on doing the same thing over and over.

Just another spin on a very good idea.
    http://www.veggieboards.com - Vegetarian forum.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great post aspen

this is especially true for forums - having a large community puts in you in a great position to sell

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my free site to drive traffic to my subscriptions sites these days. Much easier and cheaper then buying traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not sure what you mean by making a site to compliment it, any examples?
    Companyreviews.net - Webmaster Reviews And Resources
    Companyreviews.net Webmaster Forum - Come Chat
    2FunnyPictures.com - Huge Humor Archive
    A4B.cc - Free Redirection Service With NO ADS!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the supplement site was an example.... here's another:

Suppose you run a movie site with reviews/discussion/whatnot. Its a free content site so you can get good traffic and people to link to it, but it doesn't make much money.

So make a "Movie Marketplace" site where you write a script that scans buy.com, bn.com, and amazon.com looking for the best price for a new DVD. You could also scan half.com and offer up the price to buy it used.

So people would go to MovieMarketplace.com (just a guess - no idea if that's an actual site) to compare prices, and then click on the listing for the lowest price - earning you affiliate commissions in the process.

So now you have a site that has a built in community and lots of good incoming links. And you have a site that is very good at making money. So you cross promote. Link to the marketplace site from your content site which will give the marketplace site good link popularity to get in ranked high in search engines, in addition to of course sending actual visitors.

Cross promoting sites is very useful. About a month and a half ago I decided to expand my wilderness survival site into a "Training Network"

I just finished the third site in the network, http://www.online-orienteering.net so that one isn't yet in the search engines (by just finished I mean 3 days ago).

The second site though is in the search engines, http://www.fitness-training.net and its already getting 500 impressions a day.

It also already has a PR of 6.

Now check it's backward's links:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ining%2Enet%2F

The only outside site it has links from is my survival site. I'm basically using the built up popularity of one site to give a large jump start to another site. And of course since I link back from my fitness site no actual PR is lost, in fact some may be gained.

Most of this material... ideas like this... I'm saving for my book... I think I already told you guys more than I wanted to. I'm usually not this open with my ideas....
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhhhhhhhhhh. lol
    Companyreviews.net - Webmaster Reviews And Resources
    Companyreviews.net Webmaster Forum - Come Chat
    2FunnyPictures.com - Huge Humor Archive
    A4B.cc - Free Redirection Service With NO ADS!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the relationship between IMDB and Amazon.

IMDb had been around for a very long time before Amazon bought it - now it accompanies Amazon's site. They complement each other well too.

For instance, IMDb provides movie reviews and information for people who are browsing Amazon, and Amazon provides a link to purchase a movie for people who are browsing IMDB.

The nature of IMDb doesn't seem to have changed for the worse since Amazon bought it - although it is becoming more commercial. But at its core, it is still a free, volunteer-contributed movie information site.
    Last edited by mmj; Sep 18, 2002 at 06:13.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff