Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by kellilicious; Apr 23, 2006 at 08:50.

Fully Qualified Fool :) luke-innovative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to get in on this, does anyone know of any good laptop retailers in the UK?

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Kelli, ppl answer her question first please

Cheers
    Luke
    Luke-Martin.com (work in progress) :: Independent Web Designer's Portal
    Freelance Forums :: Sign Up Here
    "What happens if you get scared half to death twice?"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's fine.....i could use some info on retailers as well...but first i need to decide on a model!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you need something fancy schmancy? I design websites on my Toshiba Sattellite and its only a 733mgz h with 128 megs of ram, 10 GB HD. I have a external cd-writer, dvd-writer (i author some movies and backup).

The tool is not what matters, its the person who can do something with that tool.

ANY MODEL at this point will do. Depends on how you like your mouse (nub on the keyboard, touchpad, or like me, buy an external)

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with wyz, you don't need high power. You need something which connects to the internet which is all of them. Even if you intend to do alot od "design" work in Photoshop or something, you prolly still don't need huge amounts of memory because the graphics you'll build for the web can't be that big in memory consumption....but even at that, 512 MB is standard and way more than enough.

Anything you can find will do the job. Just find one that meets your "personal" preferences....where's the speakers located is a favorite of mine. Don't like the Compaq laptops cause the speakers are under the palms which block sound.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptop recommendations...

Having been the IT guy for a dot.com, I can let you know what we used to use for our developers. I can also give you my two cents worth on some other makes that I've played with (or had the misfortune, depends on how you look at it...).

We used Dells as our machine of choice. For hardcore development, whatever their "desktop replacement" of the day is is usually what we ordered (this is usually the Latitude C8xx series). This machine meets all your basic requirements (it has a 1600x1400 max res., can handle at least 1GB RAM, has two USB ports, and can be configured with a CDRW/DVD drive (nice for travelling when the plane's movie is really bad...), can handle a 60GB drive (plus mine has a secondary one that takes the place of the secondary battery), etc...). A word of caution for these systems. They can be rather hefty, both in bulk and pricetag. But it can and does the job nicely (I also like Dell's CompleteCare warranty option, which means if you get ticked off and chuck the laptop out the window late one night, no worries, it's covered...).

As for one's I've used and wished I hadn't, I'd put IBM at the top of the list. Let me put it this way, we referred to them as Stinkpads (as does most everyone), and promptly rotated them out of existence. I also supported Sonys and while they might be a nice retail system, they are hardly a great workhorse (at least that was the consensus of our developers).

I would say to shop around and hit the websites of Dell, Gateway, etc. and see who can get as close to your wishlist for the price you want to spend. I would say that if you are going to be truly mobile, look for a warranty option like CompleteCare from Dell. I've trashed my notebook on a couple of occasions (cracked LCD, broken speaker jack, etc.) and it would have cost me 5 times what it did for the warranty upgrade if it had to come out of pocket.

Just my two cents,
    Oahubob

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i'm on the move, i use an old battered compaq armada. got mysql, apache, php, dreamweaver ultradev, photoshop 6 running on it without any problems...not lightning fast, but if it's mobility that you're after, rather than desktop replacement, then i'm with wyz on this...

p.s.: sitting in the train playing old arcade classics on MAME sure does get some stares...not quite the form factor of a gameboy, i'll grant you that
    redux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks so much for the suggestions.....i have been looking at Dell's which seem to be the brand of choice in terms of quality and durability.

one thing i forgot to mention is that i want something with a decent soundcard as well...or whatever i need to be able to record from the mic-in at a reasonable quality.

im a singer as well, and I often need to record rough acapellas to add to songs. i used to have a desktop dell and I would just plug my mic in and record, and the quality was great (or atleast as good as it could be without being so perfect)...when i tried to do the same with my Sony laptop....it sounded like I was singing through a can with a string in a thunderstorm.

any suggestions? I dont expect professional quality, but wont it to be audible.

SitePoint Evangelist jimday1982's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I would mention how much I dislike Dell. I bought one of their cheap inspiron (i think) notebooks about a year ago and when I opened the box, the case of the laptop was the thinnest plastic I had ever seen. It flexed like crazy with the touch of a button and made god awful creaking noises. I promptly returned it and threatned to get my lawyer involved with the matter since Dell would not quit hounding me about paying for it 6 months later. I didn't really NEED the mobility anyway, so now I own a lightning fast compaq presario desktop. This is my 4th Compaq and I couldn't be happier.
    Jimmy Day
    Senior Systems Analyst
    Piedmont Healthcare Corporation

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm....well, that last post certainly did put a wrench in the works of my plan...

anyone else have a bad experience with Dell?? i wanna know what I'm getting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one question...

you a mac user?

if so, powerbook G4 is the way to go. check it out...
    http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

if you have the money and you know mac os x then theres your laptop.

i have one and i love it. plus i dont have to worry about crashes or missing dll's.

so to sum it up, POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4 POWERBOOK G4
    "Truth is a pathless land." - J. Krishnamurti

SitePoint Evangelist jimday1982's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey retard-

Obviously if she is considering a Dell, she's not dumb enough to be a mac user
    Jimmy Day
    Senior Systems Analyst
    Piedmont Healthcare Corporation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey jimday1982-

just because you couldnt use the EASIEST o.s. around, dont get mad.

thats ok, not everyone can me mac users

its all good, kelli, id look into macs. i opened my eyes and switched
    "Truth is a pathless land." - J. Krishnamurti

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by kellilicious
    hmm....well, that last post certainly did put a wrench in the works of my plan...

anyone else have a bad experience with Dell?? i wanna know what I'm getting.
    Errm nope,

i´ve been using dell since the good old Optiplex Gx Series (P75) and never had a "cheap"-looking or feeling product...

But for your needs i would have a look at the brandnew Toshiba Satellite Series...i love them and already sold many of them (mostly models of the 1900 series, P4m processor, ddr-ram, geforce4go graphic cards, 15"TFT, bluetooth, and the best feature: the best audio system i´ve ever seen (errm heard ) in a laptop: harmann & kardon surround speakers....)

Have a look at them...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dell = good

So their not exactly light if you want a highspec one, but their pretty tough, and come with the lot.

I actually was looking at buying a sony (they're still some of the best I reakon).

But you don't need something hugely powerful, I mean photoshop like's it's ram, but hey, it runs 'alright' on my old P200/96M/2Mgfx.

haha @ "stinkpads", the school I go to is getting rid of theirs for dells at the moment

If you really want a mic, get an external one, otherwise you'll just hear the nice loud revving of the harddrive in tha background of everything you record (the inbuilt ones are crappy).

But the mac laptops are great if you've got the money to throw around (and the software).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for something simple that's lightweight, powerful and easy to use then I would agree with think5577. The Apple "TiBook" might the perfect choice. I have a friend of mine who uses it as his primary design computer. He's one of the most talented designers I know and it works perfect for him. It's so light and thin that you can take it anywhere.

For the record, I'm not a Mac person, and neither do I own a Mac but if that's what you're looking for then I would at least check it out.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like think5577 and creole said, Apple Powerbook G4 running OSX ... everything you need and then some ... can handle full-scale web and audio/video production and blows those Dells away!!

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a laptop, definitely Dell. Most of my friends have one and they love it. The one my dad has is heavy and high end but it is awesome. It is powerful enough to pass for a desktop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always liked the IBM Thinkpads for laptops, never used a Dell and actually heard some bad stuff about them (though I have a Dell desktop). I had a chance to use my Dad's T series Thinkpad he uses for business/work and it's really, really spiffy. I still prefer desktops myself, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently got an Inspiron 8200 with the following specs:
    • Dell UltraSharp UXGA+ 1600x1200 Resolution
    • 1700 MHz Pentium IV
    • 256 DDR RAM (I would like 512, but haven't had any problems with 256)
    • nVidia GeForce4 440 64 Mb Graphics Card
    • 40 Gig High-Performance 5400 RPM Hard drive (makes a difference!)
    • DVD Drive
    • Modular CD-RW Drive (can trade with extra battery)
    • Windows XP Professional
    • Extra battery
    And I also got an optical mouse and nylon carrying case and such. The sound is amazing for a laptop! It'll blow your mind. And if you go with an UltraSharp screen -- holy cow! I can sit to the side and see it. I can sit to the other side and see it. I can see it from the top. If you don't mind the extra weight of a high-performance laptop such as this, it's more than worth it!

I payed $2,407.00 when all was said and done with, and I haven't had any problems. It was even dropped (gasp!) by a friend, and besides a minor discoloration of the plastic where it hit (as anything plastic will do), I've experienced no problems. My next laptop purchase will most likely be a Dell! It's my child.

-Colin-
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Sony Vaio PCG-GRX316MP for web development and it's great.

P 4 1.6GHz
    256MB ram (upgradeable to 512)
    30GB
    16" screen
    1600x1200 resolution
    CDRW & DVD Combo Drive

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    I just recently got an Inspiron 8200 with the following specs:
    • Dell UltraSharp UXGA+ 1600x1200 Resolution
    • 1700 MHz Pentium IV
    • 256 DDR RAM (I would like 512, but haven't had any problems with 256)
    • nVidia GeForce4 440 64 Mb Graphics Card
    • 40 Gig High-Performance 5400 RPM Hard drive (makes a difference!)
    • DVD Drive
    • Modular CD-RW Drive (can trade with extra battery)
    • Windows XP Professional
    • Extra battery
    And I also got an optical mouse and nylon carrying case and such. The sound is amazing for a laptop! It'll blow your mind. And if you go with an UltraSharp screen -- holy cow! I can sit to the side and see it. I can sit to the other side and see it. I can see it from the top. If you don't mind the extra weight of a high-performance laptop such as this, it's more than worth it!

I payed $2,407.00 when all was said and done with, and I haven't had any problems. It was even dropped (gasp!) by a friend, and besides a minor discoloration of the plastic where it hit (as anything plastic will do), I've experienced no problems. My next laptop purchase will most likely be a Dell! It's my child.

-Colin-
    Dude, I'm getting a Dell. What's the battery life of that baby?

edit - and does it handle connecting an extra monitor for dual-display operation?
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dad's inspiron (or lattitude? whatever's the better range than aes's ) has a port for another moniter, it connected pretty easily when I tested i out, the resolution on the laptop backed off a bit though it's nativly at 1600x1200 anyway, but yeah it looked a bit weird @ 1024

2-3 hours of 'normal' use. That includes, a bit of photoshoping, accessing a CD.

Not like the stupid tests they do at the factory with 10mins idle, 10 mins typing in word, 10 mins idle... ect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone purchased from http://powernotebooks.com/ before? I've been looking at them for my next computer as their prices are excellent, and they have really great reviews at resellerratings.com as well as ebay. They seem to deal more in higher-end laptops but at affordable prices (actually among the cheapest I have seen as far as laptops go!).

I'll be looking at getting my first laptop this fall sometime.

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. Johansson
    Dude, I'm getting a Dell. What's the battery life of that baby?

edit - and does it handle connecting an extra monitor for dual-display operation?
    With the extra modular battery, it'll last a good five hours, which isn't bad at all in my opinion. I use it mostly for outlet hopping.

Yes, it has digital outputs for other monitors -- have it connected to the entertainment center in our dorm right now so we can watch DVD's on the television as well as listen to the sound from the speakers. It's great!

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.