SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website Hangs when loading ASP Page

Hey guys, got a problem which I hope to be enlightened on.

Currently I'm building a website (Classic ASP + mySQL DB) that holds a cache of daily stock prices and have written an algorithm to calculate the best performing stock within a period of time.

This algorithm will read the mySQL database and calculate % of stock gain days, % of value gain etc, and will take a period of time (seconds to minutes, depending of the period of timeframe) and during this point of time, when I try to open a new tab on the browser and try to access the website again (acting as a second user), it would not respond until the algorithm is complete.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

P.S, read from somewhere that the algorithm might have used too much of the server's resources, hence the website can only be available after it is completed. Not sure how true that might be.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds likely that your PS hits the nail on the head, since the second tab starts working once the first has finished. Is your host only giving you limited resources, or is it just a very complicated algorithim with lots of data to process?

Would you be able to run through the data in the background using a scheduled task (assuming you have access to them on the server) or does it need to be generated when the page is loaded?

Dan