SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We can all agree Google always seem to be on the for-front of new technologies, but it's concepts are fairly old.

I remember Google Wave, all geared towards HTML5, only one problem, nobody was developing their sites in HTML5 then.

Circles is cool. Facebook in my opinion has grown too large, it would be very very difficult for Facebook to do the same in such an easy way. They always seam to patch their site up, rather than create completely new revamps. Revamps scare people using FB and FB owners.

Only time will tell if this is a success.

Of course they only get one real shot so making sure the ducks are all lined up is worth some about of hype burn... it's just a matter of how much.
    It's like Gmail vs Hotmail. I use Gmail and would never use Hotmail. Saying this I know more people on Hotmail, particularly not-tech. Once Hotmail got the name it obviously became the in thing, even against GMails asynchronous calls.

In my opinion Google Chrome was Google's biggest success ever, that and search engine results. :P The difference between this and other Google products is that they hung in there and fought the battle evolving and advertising their product effectively.

..gives Facebook even more time to launch and push features that rival, or supersede anything plus does.
    Precisely. Saying that I have not seen Facebook really do anything shocking with their design and functionality which could match Google's impressive entrances on things.

We as web developers/designer, internet enthusiasts thrive on change, particularly in the field of the web. Can't say the same for other.

If there was a Facebook application which would allow the transit to be made easier then I could see potential, but as it currently stands, unless Google decide to advertise it on it's clean *virgin looking* homepage, I can't see the herds crowding over this.

Can anybody invite me to this. I would love to get involved.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Circles are something I really missed at Facebook. I did not like the fact that my business partners for example can see my pictures from holiday, or from some parties with friends, while on the other hand, why would my friends and family see all those business links I have posted. So, circles are excellent idea and reason why I have opted for G+.

@sega send me an e-mail on PM, I'll send you invitation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annabelle07 View Post
    I think it will give them a leg-up in a way...people who start using it may be different from facebook users in that they may be more private and reserved. I like Google Circles' approach to privacy...think their main users may be a slightly older demographic...?
    a lot of people have gone to using gmail as their primary email account, even for business or professional purposes. I would consider them to be googles first and foremost target user group. from what I have seen so far, more like linked in than facebook to me. one of the goals inside of this initiative is the +1 button being placed alongside the facebook like button.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice to be able to link Wordpress with Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @qwaerstd What you have in mind? You can add +1 button easily.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant the way in which you can write a post in Wordpress and when you publish it, a link, an image and a snippet appear on your facebook profile

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djoca View Post
    @qwaerstd What you have in mind? You can add +1 button easily.
    What does that have to do with Google+ though?

The +1 button is one Google product and Google+ is another separate Google product.

Google have not yet provided a way to incorporate WordPress and Google+. It is presumably something that will be possible in the future.

If poople want to discuss the Google +1 button then they should start a separate thread.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post

If poople want to discuss the Google +1 button then they should start a separate thread.

And probably not in the Web Content area.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was talking about this with a friend, now that I've finally seen it working -- it may be a giant javascripted train wreck, but nowhere near as bad on the speed as Facebook (though that could just be there are so few people in it yet)... But from a functionality standpoint it is little more than a refinement of the concept.

There is absolutely NOTHING innovative in it -- but that's what Google DOES. They let other people innovate, then they take the best and avoid the pitfalls others have already encountered. People talk about Google using "new technologies" but when has that EVER been the case?!? They're almost like Symantec or Adobe in that regard -- stealing what they can and using leverage to swallow up the competitors who they can't steal from and get away with it...

... and I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Look at their flagship product -- Search engines were nothing new, spidering was nothing new, ranking algorythms were nothing new... They just refined the technlogy and cut out the extra bloated garbage... and boom things like Altavista went the way of the Dodo.

Kinda funny, in that regard it's like they're forgetting what made them great as a choice for search and doing all the things the competitors they buried were. Ah, but to have no serious competition -- works wonders for quality, right IE?

In any case, ALL of googles major successes were like that. Google maps wasn't anything new, they just did it BETTER... or as good and percieved better with their names slapped on it. Google Docs there have been multiple attempts at a full 'web based' office/desktop environment long before Google did it (I can remember back in '98 there was an entire desktop environment with full apps -- slow, but it was done) -- they just did it better.

I think it's where all their failed projects usually drop the ball... I mean, does anyone actually USE google talk? Of course not, it's just repackaged Jabber (sorry, XMPP) with zero real improvements, and Jabber sucks compared to AIM, MSN, Y! or even ICQ. (not that I know anyone still using ICQ now that Dan is no longer with us). It's slow, it's buggy, and shows ALL the flaws that distributed computing can have. (much less uncommon protocols since it's blocked by half the firewalls I've dealt with -- and you think XMPP is bad, try

Repackaging existing products has rarely worked for Google... The only example I can think of where it did work is Linux as the kernel for their various OS -- and they had to throw away X11 and build a whole new UI framework on it to pull it off as a success. (like most every modern successful GUI *nix flavor -- see OSX running X11 atop their GUI instead of the other way around!)

But I mean, look at what google plus does -- is any of that groundbreaking or innovative? Of course not. Circles? I've been able to do that with groups in IM clients since 1998. They are sticking to what they do best -- take an existing concept, make some refinements, cut out the extra garbage... and people will use it.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snip>

I think Google should've named it something else, seems to be a ton of confusion as to what it really is.

I've been impressed with G+ though, granted its nothing "new" but Google did it better then I've seen. It's great to be able to separate personal and professional contacts, I can post something for my personal contacts and not have to worry about my professional contacts seeing it, or I can post something to my professional contacts and not bog my personal friends down with it. It's been growing rapidly, and I've seen people actually start using G+ more then FB.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Jul 17, 2011 at 08:46. Reason: removed reply to fluff post

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
    For Google Plus, I possible won't be able to create an account with a hotmail address, I would possible need a gmail address....
    Say what? I have a Google account that I can use to access Google services, but I odn't have a Gmail account, I just use my regular email address to log into it. Google aren't going to restrict G+ to people using Gmail.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    But I mean, look at what google plus does -- is any of that groundbreaking or innovative? Of course not. Circles? I've been able to do that with groups in IM clients since 1998. They are sticking to what they do best -- take an existing concept, make some refinements, cut out the extra garbage... and people will use it.
    Don't disagree that google shipped too many projects and only a few were successful however, don't confuse social networks with instant messaging clients.

Circles that google+ introduced does really hit. One of the major problems all social networks out there have Inc. Facebook.

Simply allows you to not only group personal and work ppl but also allows you to control who sees whatever you post!

I want friends to see silly posts and want business associates to see my serious work related posts. Google simply does that, which Facebook and other fail miserably!

Now in order for google+ to succeed they need to grab at least 50% of Facebook users, it wont succed if they don't manage to grab a large pie out of social networking even if it brings things that makes us manage our social networking lives a bit easier than FB

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by parisp View Post
    Don't disagree that google shipped too many projects and only a few were successful however, don't confuse social networks with instant messaging clients.
    Don't assume I mean they're the same thing. I'm making a simile -- grouping contacts; be it forums, mail clients, IM, or contact management software (like goldmine) is nothing new. It's actually kind-of jaw dropping it hasn't been applied to social networking yet.

That's basically my point -- it's so ... obvious an addition.

Though you're bang on when it comes to messages to people on social networking sites and privacy -- FB is a wide-open disaster in that department which is why there are as many people upset with it as there are people using it.

But then, I'm in backwoods NH, people around here ***** about everything. Hell, I've made money locally just going around to parent's houses and adding:

127.0.0.1 Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
    127.0.0.1 Myspace | Social Entertainment

to their kids machine's hosts file or blocking DNS for them at the router level.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    facebook allows me to add groups, twitter allows me to add lists

however these are nothing like what google+ did with circles

whatever you post in google+ you have to specify whom you want to share it with. the public, a circle or more or a specific person. and you can change this at any point in time. best of all is that it remembers your selection so you don't have to do this all the time

no other social network is build with this fundamental idea in mind even it is simple on no groundbreaking, its simply not there and makes things much much better.

i doubt that twitter or facebook can implement this easily since they need to fundamentally change how their platform works in order to allow this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    up-to now I'm loving it. In my opinion and from what I red in other post the circles are really brilliant AND well implemented.

The data liberation feature is also a nice one to easily export everything you've done on Google+, this is wat Facebook and Twitter lack.

Hope the API will be good and ,bring all our favorite twitter (API) apps to Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zhoom View Post
    They are accepting applications for the testing phase: https://plus.google.com/105923173045...ts/DFf6RPhX2rU
    Totally missed this one. Just saw your reply today. Crap. OH well, guess I will wait until they have something LIVE for businesses.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think that google + is going to become more of a professional social service rather than a personal one. People will use it for promoting their business or website etc.

I reckon people who normally use Facebook, but have been frustrated with the lack of being able to separate friends/family/professionals, will flock to G+ in order to make good use of circles.

One other thing I like about G+ that they do differently is sparks. I think that sparks have fairly decent potential. Like I said above, I think google is trying to head towards businesses using their service.. this target audience is also the type that like to have news feeds and such. Sparks could be a big deciding factor.

Lastly, I've noticed that many people only use Facebook because of the games that they can play. I think that through coupling that, with the fact that FB is perceived to be easy and "non-technical", will be a huge factor in the masses switching over to G+

Anyways, just my 2c

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree few of you. but personally i believe that Google + will beat Face Book soon. and if i say that the down fall of Face Book has start.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sherjeeljs View Post
    I agree few of you. but personally i believe that Google + will beat Face Book soon. and if i say that the down fall of Face Book has start.
    Why do you feel this way?
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that with its on going popularity now, it will surpass Facebook's "Like" button..because +1 has much more sense than just the "Like" button. More than just popularity over the social component, but it also helps other users find the "+1" information that their colleagues are looking at. For example, I'd "+1" our own create a website link, so my colleagues will know what I'm up to. and it's not just I'm liking it.
    Last edited by Mittineague; Jul 18, 2011 at 18:56. Reason: removing unnecessary link

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a nice add for site owners for networking, but overall, I don't think it will stand a chance against facebook.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tracidb80 View Post
    I don't think it will stand a chance against facebook.
    How so?

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    Don't assume I mean they're the same thing. I'm making a simile -- grouping contacts; be it forums, mail clients, IM, or contact management software (like goldmine) is nothing new. It's actually kind-of jaw dropping it hasn't been applied to social networking yet.
    Except that it has. Facebook has allowed you to select who can see particular posts for a long time. You can choose from "everyone", "friends of friends", "friends only" or "specific friends". Choosing the latter allows you to put in names of individual people, or groups/lists of friends you've created. Sure, it may not be as "Wowsers that's cool, I can drag words around the screen" style funky as G+ seems to be with its circles, but that functionality has been there on Facebook for ages.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Except that it has. Facebook has allowed you to select who can see particular posts for a long time. You can choose from "everyone", "friends of friends", "friends only" or "specific friends". Choosing the latter allows you to put in names of individual people, or groups/lists of friends you've created. Sure, it may not be as "Wowsers that's cool, I can drag words around the screen" style funky as G+ seems to be with its circles, but that functionality has been there on Facebook for ages.
    As Mark Z pointed out, the issue isn't the feature as much as people's desire to deal with setting them up. Of course facebook groups only extend to what you post and are therefore limited from truly segmenting your profile.

Thanks to apps like Katango it's going to be much easier to form groups off of life stages [college buddies, family, etc] but even then it's questionable if people outside of techies will really use them.

Last night I was showing friends how to do limited access posting... they were amazed to put it mildly, so there is hope for groups / circles / limits but I'd say no one has quite nailed making them ideal to create [at scale] and leverage.
    - Ted S

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Google+ and it is good enough against competitor like Facebook etc. I think it will work for Google.