User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homepage awesome !
    We can't communicate with other members, Atleast i couldn't find one..
    The video chat, which allows 10 person on video chat at a time is an awesome feature !

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I finally managed to get in so that's a start.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Google launched Google+ very late. Now it can't give strong competition to Facebook. Facebook is the most popular site used now a days.
    Last edited by Ted S; Jul 10, 2011 at 11:41. Reason: Added spaces after periods to make the post readable.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veryshant View Post
    Now it can't give strong competition to Facebook.
    Why can't it?

I joined FaceBook a week before joining Google+ and I already know how to do lots more things with Google+ than I can with FaceBook (even though FaceBook can supposedly do lots more than Google+ - I can't figure out how to do much at all with FaceBook as everything is hidden away).

Also Google+ has separate security options for everything which come up as you enter them whereas FaceBook has almost no security options at all - basically hide in a hole where noone can see you where you may as well not have an account or stand naked where everyone can see you.

Google+ is so comparatively easy to use that I would expect a decent number of FaceBook users to start using it as well as FaceBook. After all they'll need to because it integrates into all of the other popular Google tools making all of them far easier to use.

Also it doesn't need to directly compete with FaceBook - while there is some overlap in what it is expected to be able to do, it is probably going to compete more directly with Twitter than it will with FaceBook.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Felgall completely. Within about 5-10 minutes of starting up on Google plus I knew how to use anything I really cared to, it's incredibly intuitive.

Regarding Google being too late to the game, I disagree. Keep in mind that MySpace also had hundreds of millions of users at one point, they simply jumped ship to a better social network when it appeared. The main reason that Facebook is so huge was that there was no good alternative... now there is.

From a personal viewpoint, I doubt Plus will be going the way of buzz or wave. A number of my friends are already on the network at beta stage when they were never interested in wave, if that's any indication.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy TheRaptor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have an idea of how long it'll take before it's released to the general public?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one [other than the Google team] knows. They could pull the trigger tomorrow or wait another quarter while they keep developing.

I suspect we're down to weeks but then again I figured the initial closed release would also end fairly quickly.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    No one [other than the Google team] knows. They could pull the trigger tomorrow or wait another quarter while they keep developing.

I suspect we're down to weeks but then again I figured the initial closed release would also end fairly quickly.
    Knowing Google, thats what I figured! Thanks Ted!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you [or any other regular SPF member] needs an invite they've been allowing them out for a few days. No telling if it will last but it's the longest run thus far.

Just PM me an email address.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mashable has said they've been told to expect an official release before July 31st.

Source: EXCLUSIVE: Google To Retire Blogger & Picasa Brands in Google+ Push

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of the user interface, Facebook is better; Google+ seems a bit dull. In terms of the functionability, I have not much comment because I has yet fully discover Google+.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkypainter View Post
    In terms of the user interface, Facebook is better; Google+ seems a bit dull. In terms of the functionability, I have not much comment because I has yet fully discover Google+.
    I disagree. I signed up for FaceBook 10 days ago and Google+ two days ago and Google+ is a million times easier to use. FaceBook looks like it will take me a year or two to find how to do the things I've already figured out with Google+.

Presumably you only think that FaceBook is easier because you already spent those years figuring it out.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook has already been THAT network for people to literally wrap their lives around and who has more time to spend on ANOTHER social network? Really, most of Facebook users don't want to have to go and form a new group (circles) of friends. People are plain lazy and Google+ wont amount to another Facebook. Sure, the techy guys will catch onto google+. I just heard today that Google+ is expected to reach 10 million users by this weekend.

also, Google is known to all non-techy people as the Internet's search engine and nothing more. Google+ will have a hard hard time getting to be known as a Facebook alternative to those same people!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, just think about all those mothers, fathers and grandparents that JUSt got on Facebook.. you think they are going to switch to Google+? Don't think so! Lets just wait another 6 months and see what happens.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a chance to try it out tonight, and I must say it's pretty sweet! It took me about 15 minutes to figure out where almost everything is, whereas Facebook is quite a bit more difficult as its not as smartly laid out. I'm really liking the whole "circles" idea, great for separating friends from family, family from coworkers etc... The interface is nice, clean and easy to navigate, Google really knows their stuff when it comes to this.

Will it kill Facebook? I doubt it, but I definitely think Facebook has some serious competition here.

Off Topic:

Also a bit off-topic but it is rumored that Google wants Skype... interesting as Facebook wants to implement Skype.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have yet to discover the potential of google + , we are already usiing it here for SEO

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a member yet, and I won't be until I hear real life people talk about it.

At the moment, I'm feeling comfortable with Facebook because my real life friends are there already, and if I would be able to subscribe for google plus and notice that none of my friends are there available at that moment, I wouldn't be excited and I will possible unsubscribe directly

At this moment, none of my real life friends I spoke about here in my office, heard about google plus, yet.

It's some sneaky marketing trick of google to make it first "on invitation", so the fuzz and gossip about the mysterious thing can get around yet. If they put it online immediately, it wouldn't have that big effect.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
    It's some sneaky marketing trick of google to make it first "on invitation", so the fuzz and gossip about the mysterious thing can get around yet. If they put it online immediately, it wouldn't have that big effect.
    I think its more that they want to work out the bugs in the system before they release it then "some sneaky marketing trick". Most beta releases are done by invite or subscription so its not really that odd.

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couldn't find out -- my invite is worthless as it doesn't work worth a flying purple fish in my browser of choice -- Opera. Why do I have the feeling that if I report it I'll get the same response we Opera users got back when GMail was new? "Go plow ourselves, **** Opera users" ... they said it a bit more politely than that, but nonetheless that was the response.

Of course now it says they've "exceeded their capacity", meaning they didn't plan enough hosting for the number of invites handed out? Maybe that 33k of markup, half of which is inlined static scripting and CSS for 1.1k of plaintext has something to do with that?

(what the hell is with Google and doing that on EVERY page/site? Just TRYING to double their hosting costs for no good reason? Have they never heard of browser caching models or something?!? Next thing you know they'll start slapping the same class on every LI and A inside a UL for no good reason -- oh wait, too late.)

As I said recently, their current front end coders ineptitude knows no bounds.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Plus will grow fast and will give Facebook a run for its money and that's for sure!

Circles and they way they work is perfect and overcomes limitations of Facebook, if you have friends and work ppl in your Facebook you can't limit a silly post to your friends only, pps from work will see it as well. This is the most major problem Facebook has at the moment and google plus solves this from day one

Still many things are missing from google plus but it's far from a complete product, events groups and pages are not there, hopefully google plus will make these better than Facebook

Google has many assets they can use to promote google plus! U are not gonna see like buttons in google searches, +1 is already there thought! Tight integration with other google apps used my millions will surely make g+ easier to use than FB!

Android will play a huge role in promoting G+ since they can integrate it really deep in the OS, Facebook even failed to get tight integration on iPhone since twitter is there in iOS 5 I am sure they were in talks with FB as well but an agreement wasnt reached!

Hopefully google will keep all that crap apps and flash games in Facebook away from google plus and keep it clean, so kids will keep using Facebook for that and grown up will jump on g+, anyone remember hi5? That's where I see Facebook ending up unless they move fast and step up the game but I am under the impression that they got lost somewhere

P.s drop me an email at Paris@UnitedWorx.com with ur name and email and will happily invite you

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    couldn't find out -- my invite is worthless as it doesn't work worth a flying purple fish in my browser of choice -- Opera. Why do I have the feeling that if I report it I'll get the same response we Opera users got back when GMail was new? "Go plow ourselves, **** Opera users" ... they said it a bit more politely than that, but nonetheless that was the response.
    *cough* It will possible work best in Google Chrome.
    And you probably need a Google account aswel to sign in?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    I disagree. I signed up for FaceBook 10 days ago and Google+ two days ago and Google+ is a million times easier to use. FaceBook looks like it will take me a year or two to find how to do the things I've already figured out with Google+.

Presumably you only think that FaceBook is easier because you already spent those years figuring it out.
    What the... you can just rephrase it positive aswel:
    "For me, Facebook was quite userfriendly though... I signed in and it all worked out immediately.
    I don't understand why you have to critique that... there's a reason why Facebook got so popular. A reason more why children and seniors get easily on Facebook: it's easy to use."

Btw,... It's just a website. It's not like you're in America at a junction in an airport with readable signs, while some officer is standing next to shout out loud what is mentioned on the signs, like people can't read.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
    *cough* It will possible work best in Google Chrome.
    And you probably need a Google account aswel to sign in?
    Don't you need a Facebook account to login to facebook? Guess what already millions of ppl have google account so many wont even need to sign up, they just need to login to the service!

Don't see any google services not working in all browsers! Don't see why this would not apply to google plus

btw chrome IS one of the fastest browsers out behind apple safari

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Plus will start to really explode. I already have over 10 people on my facebook sharing their account and talking about it. That was what it was like for twitter. That leads me to believe that its going to be the new preferred means of social media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty amazed at how many of my friends and colleagues have started using G+ over the past week...not just accepting invites, but actually preferring it over FB. Granted, most of them are fairly tech savvy and tend to be early adopters, but I don't recall seeing anything close to this rate of adoption with Buzz or Wave. Several have begun posting FB status updates saying they are already spending more time socializing on G+. It may just be that it's new and unique (everybody seems enamored with Circles), but the next few months will tell I suppose.

Once Google opens up a developer API, things will get even more interesting.
    Drew C King: PHP Developer
    <?= $short_tags++ ?>