SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy My site crashes Netscape 4.7

http://www.meowhoo.com/

I know that 4.7 is sensitive and doesn't display things the way I want them, but this is too much! Now it just crashed the browser before it even finished uploading the site!

Help!!!

My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't seen anyting that just screamed "problem" when I looked at the source. It crashed my Netscape 4.7 also.

Most likely it's your javascript. Try removing that. Javascript used to crash 4.x all the time. Oddly, from same people who brought us what language again? Oh yeah, Javascript. But their browser doesn't handle it very well
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah, I've had javascript that would crash a PC. It can be some nasty stuff if not used right.

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also didn't see any glaring mistakes in your code. I when this was happening to me I tried a process of elimination.

First thing disable your style sheet and test 4.7. If it doesn't crash, enable the style sheet one line at a time (copy and paste the code, then delete the bottom parts. First time all except the first line, then all except the second line etc). When it finally bites the dust you have the culprit. I'm assumiong you can test this on your computer at home and not on your live site

If it's not the style sheet, it's probably JavaScript. You only have one script, the tell a friend one. Eliminate that and test 4.7 to see if that is the problem. If that's it, find a new script that was tested in 4.7.

If none of that works, test the page at NetMechanic.com, maybe it will find something out of sync.

Good luck,
    Palmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good advice!

But here's something odd: I saved the page using "save as" and uploaded it with the relevant files directory to my server here:
    http://www.meowhoo.com/test/test.htm

I did this to test the various scripts and css off the site.

Now, I even went and changed the css reference directly to he css page on the site. Nothing else is changed and lo and behold - the test page does not crash netscape! but the original page still does!!!

How is that possible?!?!?!?
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker