SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link Directories???

Are link directories worth submitting to? I don't get many visitors from them if any and I'm not sure if search engines spider that far into them for link popularity. I'm not positive on that though, some input would be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously, it depends on which link directories you're talking about. Some are worthwhile and some aren't. I've tried to submit to as many directories for sports sites as possible as it couldn't hurt you, although there is no guarantee it'll help. I think submitting to specialty directories, while not as effective as link exchanges and SEO, are worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have links in a few of those, they bring in no traffic, but every little bit help PR as google does index some of those.

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Archbob
    I have links in a few of those, they bring in no traffic, but every little bit help PR as google does index some of those.
    Just be sure that the links point to your site and not a cgi or php counter type script (ie. http://domain.com/out.php?id=234) Otherwise it is still a waste of time.

Keep it Real,
    Dan
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point regarding the scripts

back to the original question, placing your site in link directories will never bring as much traffic as se but it will bring traffic and best of all its free - its very easy to get a few hundred vistors extra a week or day or whatever if you put in the time

it amazes me that some webmasters will go to the time and expense of setting up an overture account and paying a few dollars a click on overture etc when they could get free traffic to their site by adding their links to link directories

plus all these inbound links will improve your search engines ratings