SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Migrating from Asp.Net to PHP

I been working on Asp.Net/MS SQL for some years now & now planning to move to PHP.
    Ive read up some PHP Introduction tutorials, installed MYSQL , & got PHP 5.3.6 started up on IIS. To get started, I got to build up a basic E Commerce site.

If you have moved from Asp.Net to PHP, May be you could know

The equivalent/alternate way of handling page events (page_load,click events , selected index changed events ) in PHP
    The equivalent of controls (Data grid/Tree-view) . I guess i can do this by looping to build the structure , but is there anything to make life easier ?
    Handling view-state in PHP.
    How to have a separation of HTML & Code. It'll be great to have separate class files/dll but I might think about that when i get the basics right.
    Most of the tutorials i went through had echo placed randomly throughout the page which while gets the work done feels difficult to maintain.

Any information or links about this is highly appreciated.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...there is no direct migration to the concepts you learned with ASP.NET. There is no Data grid or tree-view like ASP.NET controls. If you are wanting something similar to ASP.NET pick up a framework like Symfony or any other MVC framework. Remember ASP.NET is a framework and not a language on its own. PHP is just a language on its own.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your post to let know that PHP is not a framework.
    Don't think I'll go for learning symfony or other framework, as of now Ill stick with the language & go for framework if I realize there's a demand for those in the job market.

I'm doing much better with PHP than when I started 4 days ago but also facing problems to do things without a framework.
    I'd still like to know how people who moved from Asp.Net to PHP managed the problems.