SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    eigo hanasemasu ka? Yes. =) ZuulJin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 is a good book. It delves into concepts of web applications... something most books shy away from. The project that the book covers is phpIRC, definitely an advanced project. The book is written by the creators of phpMyAdmin, which we all know is a great PHP web application. When I first got the book I glanced through it and put it on my bookshelf for later. I couldn't even begin to understand it. But, after I became more familiar with PHP, the book has been very helpful. The CD comes with a few very helpful scripts - such as a function that will check if the text contains bad words. It's the practices they teach in this book that set it apart from others.

Anyway, I think you'll enjoy the book if your looking for something advanced.

[Z]
    Last edited by ZuulJin; Dec 10, 2001 at 10:04.
    U.S. DoD Member in Japan?
    Choose your base. Buy|Sell. Easy
    @ APO Ads.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I find for myself I am a project person. I always look for books that give me ideas to create projects. I then create the projects and work with them. It is one reason I always hated school they teach the theory then yars later let you play. I am a very practical person. If I can't see a reason for it right away I can't be bothered. Show me a reason and I will learn everything about it.

So the book by Sams gave me some ideas and I worked into the two languages. I use the book more for ways of how to write clean code etc...
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! My first 'stuck' thread here. I'll have to try to make this thread even more useful.

I'll elaborate on Kevin's book Build Your Own Data Drive Website Using PHP & MySQL (published by SitePoint).

First, I don't consider myself a beginner anymore. I would say I am intermediate. I don't ask questions unless I absolutely cannot find it on my own.

Now, Kevin's book. I have to admit I learned quite a bit from this book. Especially in the many-to-many relationships for RDBMS's area. I feel that section was well written. Also, content formatting. This book was the first I have read that contains information about content formatting. While I understood the concepts of content formatting, I didn't really know the details. The book also described LEFT JOINs well. I couldn't really grasp the idea of LEFT JOINs, but Kevin worded it right.

My biggest complaint with this book is that Kevin tends to end each section a little early. For example, when discussing how to manage jokes that can be assigned to multiple categories. He just assumes that the information he presented earlier in the book was enough to allow you build your own script to edit a joke. It wasn't.

My other complaint is the print quality. The book is printed on demand, so the print quality varies. I just happened to get one that was faded.

Other than those complaints, the book is great.

[Z]
    @ APO Ads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally

I finally received one of the books I ordered a while ago. I got PHP4 Developer's Guide. I haven't really had much time to delve into it... but from glancing at it there looks to be potential in this book.

We'll see...

[Z]
    @ APO Ads.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have merged Zuuljin's "PHP Developers Handbook & book recommendations" thread into this, the "usefull resources" thread to form one mega recommended resources and books thread. Enjoy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gracious

Just wanted to beef up all you veterans ego a bit. This community has to be the best developed site to serve the purpose it is designed for. YOU GUYS ARE TRULY OUTSTANDING. Since becoming a member a short time ago, have found many interesting reads across every forum visited. Some spock looking fellar led me to this thread, after pming him to inquire about configuration of PHPTriad. Thanks freakysid
    I hesitated about joining at first for the simple fact of not knowing diddly about the ART of being a webmaster. Throughout my visits here and much to my amazement, have been able to put in my two cents worth.
    Thanks again for everyone in this community. Regardless of what you know or don't, at some point you too, will be able to offer your advice in some area.

Cudos to Everyone
    Job Well Done.......... not my steak though (hehe)

Steviray

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it me..or did they take down that 10 series article?

Anyway..archive.org is a great site..and I happened to find this: http://web.archive.org/web/200108081...te.php?aid=228

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone seen "PHP Functions Essential Reference" or "PHP Black Book" yet? I'm considering these as my next purchase to learning PHP.
    Last edited by Kevin Yank; Jan 9, 2002 at 10:42.
    <///////~

www.sohh.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A PHP function reference seems silly to me, since the reference at PHP.net is fantastic and any book would be out of date almost immediately. If you really think a function reference will help you learn the language quicker, just download the .CHM version of the PHP manual to read on your PC.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your point but at times I don't find PHP.net's function guide useful. If it had a general example for each function it would be good for me, but sometimes the first example of a function is written by the user, and is worded poorly.

In fact, I hated PHP.net so much that I used one of your tutorials to get me started in PHP. E-mail me if you want to ever see my CPS.

That's just my thoughts.
    <///////~

www.sohh.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    other than the PHP Essentials by J. Meloni, does anyone know of a book which leads you through setting up an online store with php/mysql. I am happy doing database side but need to be taken that little bit further, also including credit card details etc.
    Thanks
    Sarah
    Regular user

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *ahem* - I believe if you look to the top of the thread you will find an advert for a book written by a certain administrator that certainly leans heavily in that direction at the end.....

Failing that, there are TONS of php store scripts available through searches - dl a few and tear 'em apart!
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, Essential PHP for Web Professionals by Christopher Cosentino isn't a very good book. It does lean toward beginner to near-intermediate, but doesn't really cover anything in-depth. It's pretty much standard fare for a beginner book, if that. It's a little older so the author speaks of PHP 3 from time-to-time as well. If you've already got a couple PHP books, I would not recommend this book. Actually, I don't recommend this book to anyone. Get Kevin's book. It's FAR better for getting started in PHP than this book is.

I give it 1 star. Look somewhere else.

[Z]
    @ APO Ads.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a good book to learn the basics of php and MySQL all the way through the advanced of both?
    I want to learn how to create: a DB driven site, users submit content, admins have ability to delete, edit, and post content, Password protected pages, Search functions, Members sign up, cookies, and lots of other stuff.
    Is kevins book good to learn all this, or are there other books that would be better?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are some programs to help write the PHP code in?
    Or do you just write out the entire code in notepad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know of any books that go from beginner to advanced well. PHP and MySQL Web Development tries to, and it is a big book. It does a decent job and you will learn a lot. I recommend two books. Kevin's book and then an advanced book. The only "real" advanced book I know about is Web Application Development with PHP 4.0. It's not a tutorial book so to speak. It developes programming concepts and discusses topics advanced programmers will like. The 'project' that is in the book is phpIRC. It's not one of those projects you would just think of on your own (unless you ARE the advanced PHP programmer), so it's not an overdone project. It's probably my favorite book right now, but I use Kevin's books more. The reference in the back of Kevin's book is just about perfect, not too much - not too little.

I'll let you decide (of course), but if I were buying books... I'd get Kevin's book and Web Application Development with PHP 4.0. Maybe even get another one to fill in the small gap between where Kevin's book leaves off and where the Web Application Development book picks up (this is not saying Kevin's book is only for beginners, it's just that Web Application Development with PHP 4.0 is that advanced).

I also recommend not buying a reference manual. The windows help version of the manual is perfect (if you develope on windows of course). There is even a version of the windows help file manual that comes with the user comments from PHP.net. I use that version on the manual, and it can be found here: http://php-dev-win.dhs.org
    (I made that a direct link to the file because the page it's on is kinda hard to find stuff in.

Finally, don't rule out web based tutorials. I prefer Zend, but there are MANY other sites to find good tutorials (this site is one).

Hope that helps,

[Z]
    @ APO Ads.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start with Kevin's book. My personal opinion is that PHP and MySQL Web development is a great book, but is not the best for somebody new to PHP or even programming

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Textpad to write my code. It can highlight php syntax with is really helpful in finding those parse errors. Plus it has line numbers. I like a streamline development system, which basically means I don't want to depend on clunky, bloated programs to develope with.

Plus textpad is cheap, I think it was like $15 when I bought it.

[Z]
    @ APO Ads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP and MySQL web developement.
    I have to recommened this book, because i have read a few and this is the only one i thought worthwhile buying.
    Its good for someone with a bit of programming experience who knows the basic concepts, but wants to learn PHP and more advanced programming. It also has some good set applications that you can follow along with and make like a web email app, content management system and shopping cart ( there are more )
    the next book i'm going to buy on recommendation from some here is
    Web Application Development with PHP 4.0

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new O'Reilly book...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree but haven't seen when it will be out, other than March 2002 - hopefully
    Regular user

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll definitely receive a review copy of that one. I'll be sure to give it a review in the Tech Times.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does archive.org ilegally copy people's works and put them online?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No more than your public library is. They don't represent any of the content as their own; they just keep a record of what has been freely available on the Internet over time.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's a good place to start looking for answers or articles, links:
    PHP knowledge base

PS. hope it wasn't already mentioned