SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think?

Quick run down:
    Ok just thought i would write a bit of info before i display the forums
    So why are these forums any better than snitz or vBulletin i hear you say?!
    Well they aint exactly better than vBulletin in the terms of speed or volume handling....but they do have a .asp ending which makes them 10 times better - honest

The problem with snitz forums are, imo, they are not coded that greatly. Its hard to read their code, but you can tell by the amount of posts on their forums that there are a lot of bugs with it...however it is one of the best asp boards out there.

My forums (Frag Forums) are hopefully going to be an asp version of vBulletin. It has a similar board layout to vBulletin, but with the snitz way of displaying the links at the top.

At the moment the main pages are done, bar a few minor adjustments. The forums atm are pretty damn quick. Most pages load up in about 50ms - but thats on a local machine with only one person viewing it....however i have also tested snitz forum and webwizforum and its faster than both of these.

Hopefully soon i will be adding options such as WYSIWYG post pages (for IE users only im afraid), and other cool features.

Things to look out for:
    Styles - if you register you can pick from 3 styles, but when the forums are finally developed each user will be able to create their own CSS online and have that saved so the number of styles will increase without me having to do anymore work!

Collapsable posts - I saw a hack for a vBulletin board and though it was a pretty cool feature. It adds about 20ms to the loading of a page, but its well worth it, if you want to minimise the whole page and just look at the first few lines to see if the rest of the post is worth reading

Search Function - Even though it has only been tested on a post size count of 1500, if you search for something really popular like 'and' it still returns the results pretty damn quick.

New Posts? - One of the things im most proud of. Its a very accurate function to find out what posts you have seen. the snitz one is very very p00, and that is why im so proud - they have had their forums under development for 5 yrs and still aint got it right

Things to note:
    Because this is run on 'localhost' sometimes, for outside connections, pictures are not displayed. Just right click on where the box is and click show picture. This is not a forum bug - blaim microsoft.

I havent installed mySQL since the format, so if more than 10 people are on it might slow up because access is pretty p00r at multiple connections. Having said that, practically all data is shifted into an array and the connection closed asap.

ok here is the link! remember to get full options you need to register (and stuff like last visited wont work as its meant to as 'guests' have not been accounted for yet :O)....oh and the swear filter dont work - i only just added the option to members profile...

have fun ya all!
    http://62.30.220.75/forum/forumlist.asp

your views on what to change, what i can do to make it better etc etc will be greatly accepted :X

(forums will cease to be live late on saturday (GMT))

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goku, if the front page (the forums list page) takes 120ms to generate, and viewing a thread of reasonable length (e.g. http://62.30.220.75/forum/showthread.asp?id=75) takes 170ms with only 1 user active on the system, are you sure that your board is scalable enough?
    MarcusJT
    - former ASP web developer / former SPF "ASP Guru"
    - *very* old blog with some useful ASP code

- Please think, Google, and search these forums before posting!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it will be with mySQL - its mySQL ready, just havent installed it on the machine since format.

it wont be able to take the traffic like vBulletin does (ie 200+ active users) but for normal asp to do that, is VERY rare.
    will be porting it over to aspx when the normal version is finished.

also when there were 12 users, the speed was exactly the same, so....
    Last edited by Gokou; Sep 14, 2002 at 15:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm I'm not getting anything.....

Have you taken it down?

Why not just scale the database to MS SQL? Little more expensive for hosting but would help you alot. You could also create an intelligent caching system which would help some of your speed issues.

Speed probably won't be too much of an issue even if you have a few dozen people looking at it. What you really need to watch out for is when you have that number of people adding threads, replying to threads, an admin doing some maintance on the forums and your database is backing it's self up

If you can test for things like that, then you will be able to see a more realistic benchmark on how it preforms
    .NET Code Monkey