SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading Php on server

In corresponding with techs for a web host I have to publish on for a client, I got these replies.

I asked them to upgrade from Php 4.0.6 to at least 4.1.0 or if possible 4.2.3.

These are the replies that I got.

Unfortunately, we are not able to install PHP version 4.10 onto the server your site is hosted on at this time. We feel that PHP 4.10 has too many security flaws to safely be installed onto the server at this time. Eventually, when these flaws are corrected, we will install a newer version of PHP.

PHP is compiled within the linux operating system that is on the server. There is no feasible way to upgrade the version of PHP on the server at this time.
    What do you think of this? What are the issues I can research to discuss this with them. Are they correct?

I know a wee bit about Linux, and it seems to me that Php is compiled as a part of Apache not as a part of the 'Linux operating system'. Isn't their statement about that B.S.?

If you need more info to help me answer this, ask me please and I'll answer it.

Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would concur somewhat with the BS thought - installing an upgraded PHP may mean updating the httpd.conf file, and then stopping and restarting the Apache HTTP server but shouldn't require a restart of the OS (Linux).

Perhaps those tech people were "treating you as a dummy" and giving the "simple-speak" answer. Or perhaps they just don't know their @rses from their elbows and don't know what they're talking about?

The interesting comment to me is that from the info you have supplied they haven't even considered the 4.2.3 version option - their reply focuses only on issues with 4.1.0.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ian,

Another thing that makes this difficult is that I am a sub-contractor on this project and don't even have access to discuss this except through my project manager.

They are now saying that if they upgrade it could break existing apps online for other clients. What claims or assurances for legacy support can I give them?

Just to get things going I am planning on hosting just this app myself (offloading the user to my server for this app and sending them back for the main site content), but I don't want to do it this way forever.

More comments?

Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The REAL difference is that version 4.2+ is configured by default with register_globals = Off whereas in prior versions it was On by default. Not that this is show-stopper as this is set in php.ini file so they can always set it up in any way they like.

I don't think there is any command or function that worked in 4.0.6 that wouldn't work in 4.2.3. I reckon that they just can't be @rsed to make the upgrade, and would rather have an easy life and offer their clients an inferior product than have to suffer some (theoretical) increase is support calls.

Just my 2¢
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to a more appropriate forum

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly