SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Site looks great on PC but not on Mac :(

I bet you get many people talk about this. I run a site and I to get more visitors but whne My site is on a mac, the hompage is great but once you click on a section like reviews, you only see the top and no links to the the reviews! I think I found a article about this. Is there anyway I can fix this. I designed the site myself but once I'm done it looks confusing and I dont know why it does this on Mac with Netscape, the netscape is kind of old, not too old. But if I oike remove one thing it gets worse, does any one have any links to articles or anything?

Thanks, by the way, you can se my site at http://nintendong.com if you like.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me say "thank you" for being concerned with how your site appears on Macs!

In Mozilla 1.2a on my Mac, your site looks just fine. I checked the reviews and events pages, and it appeared that everything was there.

Older versions of Netscape for the Mac had some serious problems. I have the new Netscape 7 and 6.2 on my machine -- I'll check it later today with them.

Have you run the pages through a validator yet?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    validator? Never heard of it. The browser I was using was Netscape 4...lol

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, crap, I just ran across this thread again and realized that I forgot to look at your site in Netscape 6.2 today. And now I'm sitting here with 15 tabbed windows open in Mozilla, and I can't launch Netscape to look at it now because I can't run Netscape and Mozilla at the same time because they think they're the same program. So I can't look at your site until I get through my currently loaded pages.

I'll look at it in the morning, and at your code, too, to see if I can spot anything.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a validator, huh? I'm partial to the one at http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ but there's also one at the W3C's Web site. (Sorry, don't have the URL handy.)

Validators look at your code and tell you about errors in it.

I ran your Reviews page through the validator and found that, among other things, it was missing a number of close-TD tags, was missing some open-Td tags, and was missing some close-table tags. These errors are known to cause older versions of Netscape to not display the page.

Once you fix those errors, the Netscape problem should be fixed. You're also going to get a truckload of other errors, such as missing ALT tags, atributes that need to be quoted, and so forth. You're going to get even more errors due to having no DOCTYPE statement in your pages.

You can ignore these, for the most part, and they won't cause serious problems in today's browsers, but as browsers and standards evolve, they could well cause problems.

IMO, you would do well do learn about validation, and standards, so that you can at least make an informed decision about what lengths you're willing to go to to have pages that contain only valid code.

I'm sure if you do a search on these forums, you'll find extensive discussions of validation and its importance.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also one at the W3C's Web site. (Sorry, don't have the URL handy.)
    http://validator.w3.org/

They have one for CSS, too. It's linked from the HTML validator.

Otherwise: You're using CSS, and Netscape 4.x is a disaster area with CSS. The site looks fine in Mozilla, though, so it's probably OK in Netscape 6/7