User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review this Breakdown Cover Site Please

Hi All

I know I need to improve this breakdown cover site, so please could I have your thoughts about possible improvements.

Many thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of quick comments:
    1) The layout is weird in Chrome, there is a lot of white space scattered around and there is not real structure to the home page
    2) Having all the information you got on the home page is bad from a user experience perspective and a SEO perspective. Maybe have an FAQ page instead
    3) If you want to present a comparison, it would have to have similar terms and a structured table. Or at least a clear list of advantages and disadvantages
    4) Putting Google ads on your contact us page isn't too hot
    5) Add more companies

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is multiple problems with your site, I hate to break this to you but you need to relearn html and apply more css.

You are still using tables, that is a issue. Tables are outdated and deprecated, take a look at many of the sites here. To start out with some layouts, I suggest you use a grid system or some predesigned layouts here: CSS Layout: A collection of 224 Grid and CSS Layouts

The second problem is that you have too many words on the home page. Visitors don't want to read all that on the first page. It is a total turnoff, and you should cut that down to at most 2-3 paragraphs. I have skimmed through your page, but I still don't even know what the site is about. I suggest you put more info on a seperate about page.

Yet another problem is that, the logo is way too simple. In fact, you didn't even have to use an image for it. You should at least stray from common fonts and add some simple design elements such as lines and shapes.

The last thing is just a suggestion. You have way too many ads, and I really don't think you should add any until you get more traffic or until at least you're done with the basic design.

Please consider all the problems above, good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, this website reminds me of the type of site i run across while searching for something usefull and immediately leave. It has too many ads, not enough design, and that generic picture of the lady with the creepy white teeth? That is another sign that this site is nothing but junk.

I can tell that your just trying to make some money off the ads and not necessarily help people find what they need. i would work on the design of the site, and add the ads around that, not vica versa.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely has the boiler plate feel to it....almost like a cash parked site at godaddy.

I'm not a big fan of the color scheme..but maybe that's just me....I tend to not like heavy reds and orange.

I think visually, if you are trying to compare the various providers, it would work better listing them in columns vs. top to bottom.

I think developing a site logo instead of just the text in the upper left would also help

SitePoint Member
    Over Wyre, Near Blackpool, NW United Kingdon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,
    This is my first review, I've come here to learn and I'm new on here so please bear with me, I can only give you a "visitors" impression, without the technical stuff!

At first I was confused about what the site was offering me, so I read your opening line "a site that discusses the UK breakdown cover options currently available" reading down the page I expected to see some type of forum or discussion regarding the subject, instead I soon began to realise that maybe this site is just a base for refferal links and too many adverts, not being put off I carried on reading down the page, and reading, and reading, and reading... I found the page so long that I began looking at the scroll bar to see how much more I had to read! As a visitor I would have been put off by the ammout of text, and little informative content. Maybe it would be a good idea to section off the questions etc to seperate pages maybe in the menu tabs, and segregate the breakdown providers from the advice about breakdowns, maybe even suggest alternatives to getting a breakdown service involved for the simpler fixes! This may sound daft and go against the whole point of the website but I believe if you offer some free advice visitors will think you are genuinely interested in the subject and not just a landing page for referalls (ps I'm not saying you are not interested, i'm just saying that is the impression I get from the content) By giving this free advice visitors may bookmark your site and return if they have a problem, not be able to fix it themselves and sign up to the AA! or they may tell their friends about this great site with useful motoring related material.

Site Graphics:
    I found the logo to be rather plain and not eyecatching or memorable, maybe this could be changed to refer to the service you provide, ie a breakdown truck, mechanic, spanner etc.

I appologise if this seems like a negative review, its not, I believe that we can only improve things if we give honest feedback. PS you will be able to get your own back when I've posted another 2 reviews!
    Kind Regards
    DIY John

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout in Firefox is off centre,..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks okay to me but there's too much whitespace in the left and right columns. Populate it with some content.