SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with html newsletter

Hello-

I'm doing a pro-bono site for a local politician. It's actually been a fun project, because I have final say, and I get to try new things.
    www.rickglazier.com

The newest venture is an HTML newsletter.

Outlook, Yahoo, hotmail - all these mail servers handle it great.

But two I'm having problems with
    Excite and Lycos.

The program I use is GroupMail Pro, not bad if you can find it still, it's about two years old.

Anyway when I pull up the raw code, it replaces the img source with a cid # and/or code.

In return, the e-mail in excite and lycos come out fine, but all the graphics are at the bottom as attachments.

AOL is handleing this newsletter better then thse two.

If anybody has experience with this,or suggestions
    let me know.
    Last edited by raddesigns; Sep 12, 2002 at 11:58.
    Michael B. Rados - creative for hire
    wow@raddesigns.com
    www.raddesigns.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure but you may want to send lycos and excite and email and ask them. You may find an answer in their FAQ sections for people signing up for email accounts.
    www.treelinestudio.com
    Online Showcase of works by Canadian Watercolour artist David Brougham.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A caveat about HTML newsletters

One of the big problems with HTML e-mail newsletters is that the people creating them think that their recipients are as enthusiastic about them as they, the creators, are.

Unfortunately, this often turns out not to be the case. It's easy to end up with a bunch of angry recipients who unleash an equally angry torrent of e-mails on you about how long your kewl message took to download, what it looked like once they got it, etc.

Before embarking on an HTML e-mail adventure, you should determine, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that EVERYONE on your list:

1. Wants to receive HTML e-mail
    2. Has the software that can properly render the message

OTOH, there's nothing wrong with sending your info in plain text, with links to web pages that show your Wonderful Message in all of its HTML glory.

Martha Retallick
    Grow your business with direct mail postcards!
    It's easy, affordable, and FUN! Learn how at:
    PostcardMarketingSecrets.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool a little free advice - and worth every penny

this may come across as a little obnoxious and no doubt off-topic, BUT

I don't think you should describe your work as "pro bono" in this case - it's come to be associated with "for free" but, as you know, it really refers to "in the public interest" - I don't think it's fair to call partisan political campaigning pro bono - if the candidate were a Republican, I would have kept my mouth shut - but as a more or less fiercely partisan Democrat myself, I would recommend the use of "unpaid"

is that worth two cents?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry I couldn't help ya - good luck in the campaign!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The reason this is happening is because you are including images with your newsletter as attachments, instead of, for example, including a URL to an image.

This is normal behaviour when you include images as attachments. In many (if not most) cases it is best not to include the image in the actual email, and instead include a URL to the image. It will save you and your subscribers quite a lot of bandwidth.

The downside is that they won't be able to see the images if their email client isn't working online.

As for getting Lycos and Excite to stop showing the attachments inline - I don't know how. This is normal behaviour though with most attachments. There may be a way around it but it would probably be client specific.

--

As an aside, I would like to respond to Martha's post (above).

The majority of email clients today do support normal HTML email. According to a year old estimate I think it is above 93% but I cannot remember. It is not possible to determine, for everybody, who can read what email but you can offer them a choice between plain text and HTML if you wish. It is not just HTML that has some compatibility problems with some clients.

The ability to create both an HTML and plain text version of a newsletter means that there certainly is no need to make sure all of your subscribers can read HTML email. Nor is there any need to make sure all of your subscribers want HTML email. Let them choose, if you want.

There are things in HTML email which cannot be done in plain text and in many cases (though not all) these benefits will outweigh any cost of some subscribers not being able to read your HTML mail. These include extra revenue from advertising, extra ability to track statistics, and the ability to insert hyperlinks for people to click on. Not all clients convert URLs to hyperlinks when a plain text email is viewed. In fact, a surprising number do not.

Publishing in plain text only may sacrifice these benefits. You have to look at your stats, etc, and work out how much better you can do with an HTML newsletter - then work out how much worse you'll do when a number (let's say 7%) of your subs cannot read the HTML. Then compare.

Sorry if this is like a rant - it just seemed you provided a rather one sided argument.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if this is like a rant
    came across as very informative/helpful t' mme

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help

Being new at this, I'm relying alot on the program to send the e-mail. However it does let me pull up the raw code.

? So I guess the cid code is actually an attachment code.

Because when I code it, I'm coding the newsletter as a html page. But the program is replacing the images as some long complicated cid source. I can post a sample if you want.

Why does this only effect Excite and Lycos?

Are there other programs out there to send html e-mails?
    wow@raddesigns.com
    www.raddesigns.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey raddesigns - why did you scold me for not helping you and then delete the post? - did you feel motivated to retract your admonition?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey raddesigns - why did you scold me for not helping you and then delete the post? - did you feel motivated to retract your admonition?
    The reason above, I did not want it to sound like a scold, I'm not that type of person, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

I hope you will not be scared to reply to anything else I post.
    wow@raddesigns.com
    www.raddesigns.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you post an "official copy" on your site that people can just check out every week, month, etc without having to get the email ... that way, you have people coming back for the new content and if certain subscribers have problems with the layout there's always a properly formatted source for comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

back up link

Actually I do, I have a link in all newsletters, plus when you sign up, you can view a sample, which is the current newsletter.

I thought of archiving them, but after November, they will be null and void.
    wow@raddesigns.com
    www.raddesigns.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: reply

Originally posted by raddesigns

The reason above, I did not want it to sound like a scold, I'm not that type of person, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.
    nah, I'm just having one of those days where everyone seems to be hollerin' at me so I'm unfortunately givin' it back to whoever's standin' in front 'a me
    I hope you will not be scared to reply to anything else I post.
    if I ever have any technical knowledge to contribute to a web developer, I'll keep ya in mind

by the way, in my experience a politician will answer a question ... if the price is right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my experience a politician will answer a question ... if the price is right
    There you go. Good one. Made me laugh.
    wow@raddesigns.com
    www.raddesigns.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool oh I got lots more funnier than that

like, for example, this copyediting business I'm tryin' t' get started

I was able to tear myself away from my usual $25-50./hr work , took a minute t' check yer site and would like to offer my usual collection of unsolicited suggestions - I should, of course, do my business promotion outside this forum, but the staff here seems to be exceptionally tolerant

"60 citizens from throughout our County" - I'd take "County" out of caps
    Words designating political or geographical divisions of the world are capitalized when part of a name. source
    "throughout this campaign" and "throughout the district" - I might try "during the campaign" to avoid the dreaded Triple Throughout Threat - and maybe "be held" instead of "follow" in that sentence

"with details on these events to issue through" - gettin' a little fancy there

"for the North Carolina House, District 44, ['today' or 'this week'?] received"

delete the quotation mark following "Association of Educators."

"has also served as its" and "has also served for three years" - I'd think about droppin' the "has also" bits and providing a time reference for the work as Finance and Budget Chairman - too many "fors" in this sentence - sounds like me warning fellow golfers at every tee - how 'bout "He served three years as Chairman of the Finance Committee at the UNC Center for Public Television."

"Cumberland County school system [is?] the 76th largest system in the United States."

"FAYETTEVILLE ATTORNEY'S GLAZIER AND BRITTON" - delete the apostrophe

"The first award will be awarded" - presented?

"More than 200" - I'd consider "two hundred" in this particular context

"a major private fundraiser" - yeah, those funraisers are always private

"and for those whose constitutional rights were violated"

"make your voice heard. Help"

"process only takes" - takes only
    Last edited by mmi; Sep 17, 2002 at 22:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the edits.

Personally, I'm a copy/paste guy when it comes to text.
    My advertising experience has me right headlines, sometimes but I'm an artist at heart.

Our campaign manager wrote all the text, but I love your edits, and I'm going to make the changes tonight.
    I'm not big into politics, but this candidate is just an all around good guy, that voices up for the small guy.

So any help we recieve, to get him elected, is much appreciated.

So far so good, He went unapposed in the primaries.

Again - Thank you for all your help.
    wow@raddesigns.com
    www.raddesigns.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool walking the walk beats talking the talk

you're quite welcome - I definitely liked what I saw with Mr. Glazier - and of course a lot of those are only suggestions - people sometimes get uptight about this stuff - I see it as analogous to someone that has a good eye for code cleaning up someone's html/script - it's just the detail work - the great majority of a document's value lies elsewhere

participation in electoral politics can and should be one of the higher callings in life - I applaud your public-minded spirit - to my thinking, the truly appropriate response to our current national challenge