SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast thosecars82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Arganda, Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Does Google penalize links with different anchor text and same url?

    Hello

    Does Google penalize building several links with different anchor texts but the same url when all of these links are in the same web page and are very close to each other (I mean, there's almost no html code between the "<a href.." tags corresponding to all these links)?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think google will penalize you for this as long as your anchor text are relevant to landing pages.

    But do not overdo it other wise it may look spammy.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast thosecars82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Arganda, Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro D View Post
    I donít think google will penalize you for this as long as your anchor text are relevant to landing pages.

    But do not overdo it other wise it may look spammy.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when all of these links are in the same web page
    When a page has several outgoing links to the same URL, only the first one is taken into account by search engines.

    Only the anchor text (or ALT tag of the picture) of the first link is taken into account.

    All the other anchor texts will be neglected. No penalization.

    Exception: the different anchor texts might be taken into account if they concern different parts of the target page like here: -www.example.com/page1.htlm#anchor1 and -www.example.com/page1.htlm#anchor2

  5. #5
    SitePoint Enthusiast thosecars82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Arganda, Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmina View Post
    When a page has several outgoing links to the same URL, only the first one is taken into account by search engines.

    Only the anchor text (or ALT tag of the picture) of the first link is taken into account.

    All the other anchor texts will be neglected. No penalization.

    Exception: the different anchor texts might be taken into account if they concern different parts of the target page like here: -www.example.com/page1.htlm#anchor1 and -www.example.com/page1.htlm#anchor2
    First time I hear anything like this. Thanks for the insight.

  6. #6
    Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,824
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thosecars82 View Post
    Does Google penalize building several links with different anchor texts but the same url when all of these links are in the same web page and are very close to each other (I mean, there's almost no html code between the "<a href.." tags corresponding to all these links)?
    As Jasmina says, from an SEO point of view, it makes no difference.

    However, from a usability/accessibility point of view, it is usually a good idea to ensure that links to the same place have the same text, unless there's a very good reason not to ... otherwise it's confusing for the reader who clicks on what looks like a fresh link only to find that it's an old link in a new guise.

  7. #7
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,015
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    However, from a usability/accessibility point of view, it is usually a good idea to ensure that links to the same place have the same text, unless there's a very good reason not to ... otherwise it's confusing for the reader who clicks on what looks like a fresh link only to find that it's an old link in a new guise.
    steve, i don't think the seo guys want to hear that argument

    they are looking for ways to pimp their sites, and they're looking to score multiple different link text keywords for the same target url

    readers are worth squat to seo people

    content is king? not to seo experts -- it's all about keywork ranking in the serps
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  8. #8
    Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,824
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    steve, i don't think the seo guys want to hear that argument

    they are looking for ways to pimp their sites, and they're looking to score multiple different link text keywords for the same target url

    readers are worth squat to seo people

    content is king? not to seo experts -- it's all about keywork ranking in the serps
    rudi, I live in hope that not everyone here is as blinkered as some. While the people asking the questions may only be interested in hearing about ways to pimp their sites and get themselves to the top of Google without any real work, I'm sure there are many lurkers here who are reading what we have to say and will take on board any words of wisdom that we have to offer. That's why it's important to keep bringing it back round to the truth, no matter how tiresome the opposition gets...

  9. #9
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,015
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    i live in hope

    quote of the day

    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all, in seo keyword optimization we use same url on many of the keyword as anchor tag.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google does not penalize use of same URL for link building on multiple keywords belonging to the same website.

  12. #12
    SitePoint Enthusiast thosecars82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Arganda, Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    As Jasmina says, from an SEO point of view, it makes no difference.
    When you say "it makes no difference", what do you mean? Do you mean that it would be the same as including just one link on that web page with only one of the anchor texts because when you include more than one link with the same anchor text and different urls on the same page search engines ignore the second, third....links?

    Thanks

  13. #13
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,600
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thosecars82 View Post
    Do you mean that it would be the same as including just one link on that web page with only one of the anchor texts because when you include more than one link with the same anchor text and different urls on the same page search engines ignore the second, third....links?

    Thanks
    That's what it means.

    The additional links are only there for the benefit of the real visitors that you have reading the page. They should make the page more user friendly. There's no point in having them there if they don't help the visitor already on the page because they have no affect on helping find any page.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  14. #14
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thosecars82 View Post
    Hello

    Does Google penalize building several links with different anchor texts but the same url when all of these links are in the same web page and are very close to each other (I mean, there's almost no html code between the "<a href.." tags corresponding to all these links)?

    Thanks
    Yes it is bad, it basically called a combination of a spammed page with a lot of Keyword stuffing.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmina View Post
    When a page has several outgoing links to the same URL, only the first one is taken into account by search engines.
    \

    What is your evidence for this? There's no indication that SE will ignore ensuiing links. Perhaps a devaluation x > but otherwise I've never seen evidence for this.
    Distinct SEO | Calgary SEO Marketing & Social Media Consulting

  16. #16
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no problem for creating links in this way even if it is outside your website. Anchor text is based on our required keywords, no one can penalize us from this.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •