User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    (Paul, what's that IE debugger in your screenshot??)
    That's just the standard IE8 developer tools (f12). It's not as flexible as Fiebug because you can't add styles but you can identify them quite easily or switch existing rules off.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh ok, I've been using IE Developer Toolbar but yours looked different, thought you had something else.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul. Yes i do appreciate your considerable efforts on my behalf.
    When I re-read my posts i do not see the confusion. I am aware that Dreamweaver is not a browser but succumbed to sarcasm in the face of being told something so fundamental and obvious. Apologies.

FROM SCRATCH
    1 When I type into the design view in Dreamweaver,
    in an old website I created,
    using the exact same style sheet,
    it appears as verdana as I type.

2 If i preview the page in my browser (Firefox)
    it (predictably) also renders as verdana.

The style sheet is making it so or it would appear as times new roman in the design view of Dreamweaver as i type and would render as times new Roman in the browser.

3 Using the exact same style sheet referenced in the badly written page that i reproduced in full in my earlier post,
    Dreamweaver ignores the style sheet and the font appears as Times as I type in Dreamweaver
    and, of course renders as Times in Firefox.

In a later post in this thread I reproduced some html which was had all but the tiniest minimum of code so as to remove whatever possible distraction was causing this weird phenomenon and still i got the same result. If someone had described this to me i would have said it is not possible...

Paul, when you said
    "It's important that you open the file directly in the browser and not via dreamweavers "preview in a browser" function because that uses some sort of cached temporary stylesheet and occasionally gets stuck."
    I do believe this is incorrect. The browser renders the html and the css is "read" from the style sheet. You cannot preview a page in your browser from Dreamweaver without first saving the page and I believe the browser is called and simply told to open the page. The web editor NetObjects Fusion creates a preview page but one of the beauties of Dreamweaver is that you can open a page from a site no matter how it was created and edit it. Once saved it matters not whether you tell DW to open the browser or whether you open the browser and navigate to the file yourself. Another way is to keep switching to the browser that shows the page you are working on and refresh each time to reflect the changes, and I often do it this way. I have never seen a different result opening it either way.

I trust this is really clear, though the result is obviously, really queer.
    Many thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerz View Post
    3 Using the exact same style sheet referenced in the badly written page that i reproduced in full in my earlier post,
    Dreamweaver ignores the style sheet and the font appears as Times as I type in Dreamweaver
    and, of course renders as Times in Firefox.
    rockerz, do you have this somewhere on the web we can look at? It helps a lot in debugging to see the whole picture.

Make sure your new site is defined correctly in Dreamweaver and that the stylesheet is located where you tell the HTML document to look for it.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Paul, when you said
    "It's important that you open the file directly in the browser and not via dreamweavers "preview in a browser" function because that uses some sort of cached temporary stylesheet and occasionally gets stuck."
    I do believe this is incorrect.
    No, it's true and has happened to me quite a few time as I use DWs code editor quite a lot. If you go into preferences, "preview in a browser" you will see that there is a check box for viewing the page via a temporary file which saves you having to save the page first. You just press f12 (no need to save or even have a saved page) and the page is displayed in the default browser. It's handy when checking code without having to save or have saved a file that you may not be needing. This is the option that is unreliable and on several occasions has either not loaded the current file or has in cases not even found the file.

It doesn't seem like you are using that option anyway but it could have been a cause that we needed to rule out.

You still didn't answer the question where I asked if you get the same result when you open the page from the File, "Open File" drop down menu in Firefox alone (not via DWs preview in a browser function). This is important because if you get the same result as before then you can rule out DW as the cause and the problem must be in the html or css that you are linking to.

Another way is to keep switching to the browser that shows the page you are working on and refresh each time to reflect the changes, and I often do it this way. I have never seen a different result opening it either way.
    That is the method I recommend as it is the most reliable as already mentioned.

I trust this is really clear, though the result is obviously, really queer.
    Many thanks,
    Using the code you gave me I produced those screenshots showing how the page was rendering for me and others have confirmed the same. There must be something else going on here.

Can you post screenshots of what you are seeing - maybe that will give us a clue?

Also as a last resort can you zip up your html and your css and attach it to this thread. You may have introduced invisible characters into the html or stylesheet that may be corrupting certain rules. We need the complete stylesheet and the complete html - don't leave anything out.

We will find the cause of this problem if it kills us.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,
    i admire your "stickability."
    you said:
    You still didn't answer the question where I asked if you get the same result when you open the page from the File, "Open File" drop down menu in Firefox alone (not via DWs preview in a browser function). This is important because if you get the same result as before then you can rule out DW as the cause and the problem must be in the html or css that you are linking to.
    Sorry, I judged it as not needed as I can report that the problem is due i think to frames ( yuk). One frame - when i type into the editing view ( not the code view) - the type renders immediately as Verdana (desired) which means that previewing is not necessary to determine whether the style sheet is working or not as it works right there in the edit view. On the other frames i am having a problem but i think when i get back to it i can fix it. Sorry about the long and winding wild goose chase and a big THANK YOU to Paul and all of you who weighed in.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    life used to be so hard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    life used to be so hard
    Did you finally ditch Dreamweaver? ;-)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone did a post that had some fun, whimsical, non secateur, stuff at the end that finished up with "two cats in the yard." This is a line from the Crosby Stills and Nash song, "Our House," and I just put in the next line: "Life used to be so hard." After that I couldn't see the post I was responding to??? So thought I deleted my post. Today I find it is there and Jun Jun responded.
    OK found the post - it was by Stomme poes and it was on page 1 of this thread.

Ditch Dreamweaver?
    It was established that the problem was in the code to do with frames done by an earlier person. DW creates nice clean code so no problem there. ‘Twas an earlier author of the site i was fixing what done that lewd code.( I threw it all out and started from scratch. No frames!)

Had a site once where I to change a piece of text common to all the 82 pages. Changed it once in the site’s DW template. Job done to all 82 pages. Try doing that with notepad.
    Found a mistake on another site that was common to 40 of the pages, did a search and replace with DW. Job done. Try doing that with notepad. And on…
    Last edited by rockerz; Oct 5, 2012 at 07:05. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a site once where I to change a piece of text common to all the 82 pages. Changed it once in the site’s DW template. Job done to all 82 pages. Try doing that with notepad.
    This is one of the great things about DW's template system. It must have been +15 years ago they added it, and I've done updates like this for 100s of pages (a long time ago).

You can also use a (very) simple PHP include approach which lets you do the same 82 page update with Notepad.