Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Freelance Designer Portfolio

I have made several sites in the past, but this is my first from scratch with no templates, themes, and frameworks.

SpatialVoid :: Premium Custom Designing

Tell me what you guys think, I realize that the design is a bit too simple.

Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except for the header and the basic nav menu, there's nothing to review, and the nav menu hides part of the logo. Come back when you've developed the concept a bit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry i was working on a new design and forgot to switch the domain folder

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First post was for another site. Here comes for your site:

First page I saw... with the circles -> not a bad idea, but I would extend the links to the entire big circle.

Second... the dark gray -> looks kind of dark actually . Keep working and post something nice.
    www.bluepindesign.com - web design/graphic design/web development

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like someone decided to harm visitors' vision. Dark background, no content, very hard to read text.
    There is almost no design. Nothing to review.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that tastes are different. The simple looking thins do not mean they were simple made.
    In my opinion your header looks like a simple made one.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea im really sorry about this guys, i was working on a new design and i just finished today so if you would be generous as to write up another review that'll be great, thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I found your site heavy to load and very difficult to read.
    Colour scheme "black-dark grey background - dark blue text" seems a pain for my yes. Text itself (some weird font in silver) is too small and is hard to read too.
    COntent: "Lore ipsum" is not a content.
    Portfolio: not found. Even the idea about how it will look - not found.
    Contact form: not found. Even the idea about how it will look - not found.
    Not impressed with this site. Maybe you need something lighter and easier to read.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main gripe is with the fonts used. They are far too hard to read and aren't really "web safe". There's a good reason why most websites use the typical font stacks like Georgia, Arial, Trebuchet and Verdana, and that's because they're easy to read and they look nice.

Your site looks okay as a concept, but as a portfolio you'll need to research what your potential clients want to see. I would highly suggest taking some inspiration from elsewhere on the Internet (Google "css gallery" and you'll find tons of great sites) and trying to improve it.

SitePoint Zealot PatrickSamphire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but this is fairly horrible. It's close to unreadable, even using modern browsers and OSs. I hate to think how it will look on Windows XP with IE6, 7 or 8. The colour scheme is also very dour. I can't help but think that this looks like a computer game from a decade or more ago.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the constructive criticism, I have deleted unnecessary css3 styles and limiting myself on custom fonts.

I also changed the color scheme, hopefully it looks a lot nicer now and is easier to read.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatialVoid View Post
    I also changed the color scheme, hopefully it looks a lot nicer now and is easier to read.
    I hate to be the person to break it to you, but the new colour change is terrible. Bright green on bright purple is an awful idea.

Use this website and come up with a colour scheme that works. Color Scheme Designer 3

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now it is better to read. At least for my eyes there is much less pain.
    Design looks better (at least for me and with FF 3).
    Colour scheme: while it is better, no doubt, than dark-on-dark, I think blue text on green background may not be the best idea. Why not make something conservative black text-white background?
    I would also like to see how do you imagine sections "Portfolio" and "Contact". At least make some nice picture and place it there so we can see...and eventually criticise. Or enter any sites (like yahoo, google...) as your "portfolio".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I found the color scheme really hard to digest - the purple and yellow were very hard on my eyes. I would go with a white background for sure. The font isn't bad - it takes a second to read it, but it's not too difficult

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The font is so special! It represent the "Alien" identity. Good one!

The room of improvement in the website is that, Green and Blue is clashed. Both are grabbing the attention from the visitors and it cause to eye-pain after awhile looking at the website. Use contra colour such as navy and white would be more comfortable for viewing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used random color scheme with colorwizard from colorsontheweb complimentary colors for the current design, i thought it would work, but many people seems to not like it

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then stop using that! It does not look good. (that's about the colors)

The dashed border is too thick, I especially like 1px line borders, if any.
    Also the font in the navbar does not seem the best choice. Some characters are not easy to understand.

I appreciate though the movement of the navbar button background.
    www.bluepindesign.com - web design/graphic design/web development

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1px border looks nice, design improvement appreciated

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Not to be harsh but I wouldn't hire you based on that.

Although the website may be a good design for other purposes... when your designing a website to stand out from the thousands of freelancers and design firms you really need to do something new, Something no one has seen before.

One of your quotes is "we fill in the gaps" ironically their appears to be an awful lot a blank space in your design.

I would be going back to the drawing board and utilizing some new technology for your next design, css3 html5 Jquery. at the very least get some flash happening.

Good effort, But like i said just not good enough for the purpose it is intended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks good. I really like the nav menu, I think you did a great job on that.

Although as said above, Its good, but when choosing through tons of website designers, I do not know If I would choose you out of the tons. You need to make it more unique while not making it so that people do not like it. I think it is a bit dark, but hey, that might be what you were going for. That's just my opinion, but other than that, it really looks good, just work on making it more unique.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as many others have said, there isnt a whole lot to review so far. Its really cool so far. It has a cool style. And it fits into my aesthetic. I really like it.

With that said. Its VERY grey and white. I get the impression your either uncomfortable with, or afraid of color in your designs. A portfolio is a place to be bold, and make a statement, and let people know that your not afraid to be a trendsetter. You can always tone down, but you dont want people assuming your a grey kinda guy.

Anyway, i dont think you need a ton. Id just pick one color. maybe something like a lightest blue like #118DFA, or an orange, or lime green maybe like #FFC508 or #6CE04C (just rough guesses, youll have to mess with it, and maybe look at other sites for ideas.) Id put your menu highlights in that color, and maybe your quotes, and maybe just your name or something. Don't go overboard.

Anyway, add some content, more quotes and keep up the good work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please more reviews... thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back again!

I like the new colors! I see you took my color suggestion to heart! haha. I like the blue highlights a lot.

I still find myself squinting at the site... there just isnt a lot of contrast... have you tried a text shadow or box shadow on any elements to help them pop? i dont know if thats a good idea or not, but something to try.

Also, a small nitpicky thing... i noticed your lavalamp type menu blob loads squished behind the about button... i assume thats because you dont have a home button for your nav, so you couldnt set it to selected to have the blob under it... You might want to consider a fix for that, its small, but awkward.

Also, im not a fan of how your content divs interact with your overall border. like on the about page, theres a lot of info in there, so it pushes the footer down and leaves a gap in your border...

Its still a lot of grey.. its a bit hard to look at. Im a fan of grey also, im sure you can tell if you look at my forklift site, but you need to be careful and make sure its broken up with other stuff. Im still working on it too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not sure whats the problem with the border on the about page, can u take a ss?

Thanks, yea grey can be really sexy if used correctly

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please more reviews...