SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which search engine phrase in the following URL was used to find me?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to this forum.

Today I saw the following in my access log....

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...elusplanet.net

Most of it looks like Greek to me and normally I am able to tell what the phrase searched for was from these types of access. But in this one.

I tried deleting parts of the URL down to this....

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...d9ec45a&seekm=

which still accesses the old thread someone found me at but I can't figure out what the 'th=686bab566d9ec45a' value is about.

I think that's where the search phrase is hidden. Can anyone suggest a way to read that value in plain English so that I can tell which search phrase was used?

Thanks very much for any insight.

Carlos

PS. Just so everyone knows I am NOT trying to promote my site or otherwise trying to generate traffic for my site through this post. It is not even fully operational yet! The URL I dropped and the questions I am asking are sincere and are best described using the actual URL I found in my logs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but I can't figure out what the 'th=686bab566d9ec45a' value is about.

dunno but looks like thats the thread ID to me, could be wrong but would make sense as "th" is an abreviation of "thread".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks terraglo,

If that's the thread ID then I guess I can't tell what search phrase someone used when they accessed my site through threads I have created on various newsgroups and such.

That's too bad since the search phrases used would be helpful information to have.

I had wondered if the 'th' was some kind of hex encoded value for the search phrase that I might have been able to de-encode.

Oh well. So much for that.

I'm thankful to get traffic from old threads but I guess I won't try and capture the traffic by looking at the most popular search phrases being used to find me and orienting some of my pages around that.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think someone was browsing the newsgroups with google and found your site in a posting. That link you have in your log is prob just a link to that post. They might not have ever preformed a search really.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's likely that anyone was just browsing Google groups without searching for something.

In any case thanks for your input.

Carlos

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I browse Google groups sometimes without searching. Not too often, but I do it.