SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS Gallery

I just recently launched my latest site:

CSS Gallery - http://cssgal.com/

I've been working on it in my free time for a few months now and finally got it to launch =)

I would love to get some constructive criticism, feed back, compliments, ... or anything! .. give it a try and let me know what you think

I'd also be happy to answer any questions you may have about it

Thanks!

Cheers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd guess your not getting a lot of feedback because your site looks fantastic and its hard to find some thing to say.

I really like the layout and look. Great that you can browse by clicking on website colour too.

Not being a website maker myself (other than a basic wordpress) and not knowing code, this might be a daft comment, but the front page doesn't seem to explain the purpose of your site. Ok so its a css gallery. But why would some one be interested in that? for ideas for their site? if so state it.

"css gallery: research here, apply on your website, get featured here today"

just an idea, i hope you understand what i mean. There seems to not be a good reason explicitly stated (to me) for viewers to come to your site. Can web owners pay you to be featured? that might be a good way to generate income. If this is a research tool, then state it.

I was expecting to see some css code once you click on a site. This would be very useful to many people who are making sites and like what they see and can apply some of it with some of the code used to generate the pages they like.

the url, while simple and memorable, is not cssgallery.com, so i found that odd.

"come see my website"
    "what is it"
    "its called CSS gallery"
    "ok cool"
    "wait i haven't told yo0u the address yet"
    "its ok ill find it"
    "no its cssgal.com"
    "oh? alright"

I like the twitter integration, and the "follow us" and "+1" buttons. The whole design and layout and flow of the website is very nice.

haha i hope you dont mind my informal review. I took it as a challenge to find some thing to say as the site looks good. doesnt seem fair that you have no feedback.

i might submit my site

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pros:

Layout is good
    Technology used is awesome
    Information architecture is good

Cons:

Can't find anything

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good CSS style

I like this css CSS Gallery / InnoSite / http://www.innosite.co.uk

How can download your css style ?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about the URL, I think it's clever and pertinent (and cssgallery . com has long since been taken). I would think about changing the subheading descriptive line from "showcase and inspirational source..." to something a bit more straightforward, but maybe not...

Above the fold, the site is a bit busy, with lots of elements clamoring for attention. On the other hand, everything there is useful, so it's hard to say what, if anything, should be removed or moved downward.

I am a HUGE fan of speaking-block navigation, so I really liked your top navbar.

I expected the entire image blocks to be clickable, and was confused for a bit as to what was happening when mousing over. Once I figured out what was going on, I found it very useful in quickly getting an overview of the site's color scheme (with hexcodes, a nice plus).

Overall, this is a terrific site. I hope you get some attention from the design mags such as Smashing and Six Revisions. I've bookmarked it for future reference for when I need some design inspiration. Nice work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very professional looking website you have got, you just need to darken text of good design on top right.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is pretty sweet, I love the top menu buttons. the overall feel is fairly simple to use for someone that knows what is going on. My initial thought was that you were selling these services and the site was your portfolio.

I gotta admit this an actually useful site for any designer or developer (I bookmarked it). the only thing I could think of that could be added is maybe some validation tools or CSS cheat cheats with tips and tricks.
    Memory For Server

SELECT * FROM `US`.`Politics` WHERE `Idiocracy` = '0';
    MySQL returned an empty result set ( Query took 0.0005 sec )

SitePoint Enthusiast purple skunk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply put...Great site! I wish I had skills like that...
    bookmarked!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me only the layout is OK . maybe you should put more inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hi lifeindev,

I agree with the first person that replied that you should rethink the name of your site.

You have a terrific idea. I love how you organize the CSS layouts based on color theme. The interface and thought you put into this is superb. I just wish the name of your site reflected that fact.

As it stands "cssgal.com" makes me think of a blog site where a lady who is into CSS talks about web design. "Gal" makes us think of "girl" not "gallery".

Internally you refer to your site as "CSS Gallery". If people later try to search for this they'll end up with another web site. If people talk about this with their friends, it becomes hard to differentiate your site with the other one.

Here's a thought. Register "csscolorflow.com" - as of this moment, it's available. That's what you've really given the world here, a "color flow" to help us design our sites with. Even if you don't like this particular name, please come up with something that exemplifies what your site is all about. It's a very good idea you have. I hope you get more exposure and traction.

Another thing. It is not obvious at first glance that you can click on the color swatches to see categorized content based on color. The only reason I knew I could click them was due to another forum member's comment. Somehow you need to elegantly present this key feature to new users. Perhaps just the words "Click a color patch:" that is presented above the rainbow bar will suffice.

Be sure to use analytics before you make *any* changes. Let's monitor what minute changes you make and see their impact. You must strive to be sure users are actually clicking the color swatches! I like "clicky" which is free but you may already be using a good analytics package.

Best of luck
    -- Aaron Rosenzweig
    Chat 'n Bike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say the layout looks sublime. If you designed it yourself you obviously have a lot of talent.

I really love the colour picking, that is an awesome feature.

There are a lot of other CSS gallery websites. What do you plan to do to get traffic to yours? Also, i see no ads? Do you plan to monetize this site? Or is it just a hobby?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to have some issues in IE7. The top menu isn't displaying correctly and the homepage screenshots are appearing in one single line - while they are in 2 columns in firefox.

Looks nice in Firefox though. There are a lot of these sites going about right now so it takes something special to stand out from the crowd but you are certainly on the right path.