SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatic File Copy

This question is related to my webservers, however not to design. I have been asked to take copies of our site and put them on another server that is on the network. This is being asked for extra backup purposes. I have thought of a couple of ideas of how to schedule this but unclear on how to go about it. My first choice is to schedule a batch file to run that will issue a simple command....

copy d:\inetpub\wwwroot\folder_to_copy \\remoteserver\folder_to_copy_to

or thought of installing FTP service on both machines. Though I do not know how to create a schedule to make this automatic or a batch file that would invoke a copy....

Anyone have suggestions on how to do this... I have to be carefull of 3rd party software that is not included in Win 2000

Any help would be great.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTP is a bad idea cos of the security implications. I'd leave it switched off if I were you. Your batch file sounds absolutely fine though. A scheduled batch file is a tidy solution.

Of course, the MOST obvious solution is that your IT people do the job properly and add the web server to the backup schedules ....