SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pricetack: like Ebay but prices go down

Hello, I'd very much like to get some feedback on my new service, Pricetack. It is a lot like Ebay but the prices go down. If you sell things online, would you use it? I have kept the design pretty simple. Is it too simple? Thanks!
    Pricetack - sell your goods with automatic markdowns

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I always recommend that a site have a brief explanation of what it's for and how it works—at least on the home page. Before even judging the design, TBH this would be one of the majority of sites I take one look at and leave straight away, because I don't have the time or interest to find out what it's for and why I should stick around. On first glance, it just looks like any other storefront with a bunch of stuff I wouldn't normally buy. Is there are reason I should stick around and explore? I recommend that you answer that question explicitly.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this website about? I don't know. Some nice-looking images, some prices (cannabis doggy: 38 and 23 $ on July 11). An online store? Auction? No clue, at the same time - no temptation to stay there.
    Maybe I am noob, but things like "we have experience from PayPal" makes little sense. Experience to deposit money or withdraw it?
    "About us" - nothing that would explain me how does it work. Please note: maybe you have a unique, state of the mind idea, maybe your site is the best ever...but your content does not represent it. All I am told - "wait untill price fall, but doing so you do risk". That's not enough. Well, I found one sentence...in "register" site. Wait a second - if I want to know something, I won't go to register. I would like for "help", "faq", "support", "ask a question", "contact us"...
    Design: not found.
    emails: found.
    What can you do:
    1) since you have experience at eBay - have some design.
    2) introduce help. Yes, size does matter - the bigger the help, the more things it covers, the better.
    3) introduce content.

Overall impression: as stated above - bad. No thoughts about returninng (ever) back.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. Some of the sites I look at for inspiration were Ebay, Craigslist and Etsy but they can probably get away with little explanation because they are no longer new.

I think I was assuming that visitors would at least click on one item and see the price schedule. Or see the significantly discounted amount and date next to each price on the home page which might pique their interest. I have probably leaned too much on "showing" and should probably do more "telling". But thanks for having a look.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I like the concept of pricetack. As mentioned in other posts, a quick introduction of how pricetack works is usually useful for new users. I found that introduction by clicking on 'register' but there should be a link somewhere on the front page to 'learn more' or 'how does it work'?

It's missing a search box. I guess this is because the site is early in dev but that's a feature that would be needed very quickly as you get more product in the marketplace.

There's two types of users, right? Buyers and Sellers. How do you sell stuff? again, maybe a description on how to achieve this would be useful.
    "We only plan on charging a modest transaction fee." When reading this, it looks like you haven't thought about your business model. I would recommend to decide already for a price model. Sellers may worry about how much the fee would be (I know, you specify it will be free in 2011), a 'pricing' page could help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Explanation of the homepage is needed, I only see images with prices under them. I'm not too sure what it is all about. The site itself is well blended and seems very neat but like I said just unsure of the main function of the site.

Overall the site is confusing but with a little more design and info it would benefit greatly.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi had a look at the website it looks ok but there does not seem to be many categories,also if i was a seller the price drops seem too far apart,some are 30 days,if i was selling i would not to be waiting up to 30 days to sell 1 item.I would definitely have it no more than 7 days,hope this helps thanks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sellers get to specify for each item the time between drops and how much the price will decrease. The current minimum time period is 1 day although we think in the future some people might want to sell even faster than that.

blog_world, we will provide more "how does this work" content. I think we might have relied too much on "showing" and need to more "telling".

The lack of search and categories has to do with the limited number of items available now since we have only just put out this preview. In the beginning, we expect sellers to drive their own traffic since we won't be able to drive much traffic. And that they will drive traffic to their own custom stores like this: http://cheekob.pricetack.com (linked to from http://cheekob.com).

Thanks for the feedback.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert (close to newbie) but have following critiques:

home page needs at least a very brief description of what this site is about and how it works

I'm using Chrome 11.0 and the 'learn more' button (top of page) is on top of the logo so that needs to be fixed.

Theres alot of white space on page so can't the text, especially categories on left of page be bigger?

7 of the items on page (more than 1/2) are dog related right now so if I am not into pets, good chance I'd sign off. Can you fix it so more popular items go on front page?

Good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I right in thinking that its effectively a "Dutch auction " ?

If so then you need to get people who are willing to set vey low end prices. Think how ebay works - the things that get the best prices normally start low so that people get sucked in to watching and bidding. The same with a Dutch auction, if theres a zero end price then people will start watching and may buy when their nerve goes and they fear losing a bargain - you'd need to show the number of hits on each item so people can get a sense of competition and tension.

If the seller sets a start price of 30 dollars and end price of 20 then noone will get excited by that

Sorry if this sounds negative - I like the idea and think that if well presented you could be onto a winner

Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been intrigued with the dutch auction model. I think ebay or another online auction use to have the option to do this years back.
    I see DutchList.com is available. Not sure with new items how it would monetize well. A dutch auction would work better for used items and rare items where the value of them is kind of fuzzy and hard to nail down.
    It would be interesting to see a site like this kind of like craigslist but supported from site advertising and a nominal listing fee. The site would be better to stay out of the transaction process of something like that. You just provide the platform for someone selling their living room set and they want to get rid of it this week because they are moving soon! The lister would pay you 4 bux or something. The lister enters a start price and an ending price. The site just does the daily or hourly reduction in price. Make it drop a penny every few minutes so the site users sees some real action happening. I can think of plenty of times I would of used a service like that. Good for local pickup as apposed to shipping items. So have a location by city search.
    The buyer never knows what the bottom is. So if they want it they better act soon. That is the nitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are right, the design is too simple please add some background color and animate your logo so people remembers it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dutch auctions are a bit different. In a Dutch auction, there are usually multiple quantity of the item available, everyone bids what they would pay and then the lowest price at which everyone would be willing to pay to clear the inventory would be the price that everyone pays.

Pricetack is better described as "automatic markdowns" or "falling price schedule". There is typically only 1 item available and the price goes down until the item sells. The urgency to buy now is both for immediately delivery and to avoid losing out to another buyer.

I agree that it may work well for local, face-to-face transactions like Craigslist. We are currently mainly supporting shipped items so it's more like Ebay but we don't really preclude buyers and sellers from arranging to meet. We have just added location information to the listings.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much of a review here, but only wanted to say that the idea is great!
    Although, a pretty sparse site at the moment, but I'm sure it'll fill up as it gets popular!
    Paradise belongs to the innocent,
    Which is why it is and will forever remain . . . empty,
    And that is what makes it . . . Paradise.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. We are definitely relying more on the concept at this point although we do prefer clean, simple design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks really nice and I like the concept a lot. While I like the simple design maybe it's a little too simple? Could you add some more content to the home page to make it more interesting? It took me awhile to understand how it works so maybe you could provide a video or graphic that demonstrates how to buy and sell an item. Good job!

SitePoint Member
    Over Wyre, Near Blackpool, NW United Kingdon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New on here, and have decided not to read the feedback above me because I would probably be left with nothing new to say! (no offence to the reviewers above, I'll read them after I've posted!)

From your initial description above I thought sounds interesting, on landing on your homepage and looking for a while it was not clear to me how the concept worked, so I clicked on the learn more and all was explained nicely,.. maybe this explanation should be on the homepage to make it clearer to new visitors to your site. The only other problem was because the "starting price" is in bold, I assumed this was the current price for sale, yet it was cheaper in plain text with an old date next to it? Obvious now, but Confusing at first. Maybe the current selling price should be in bold text and dates of when the "sale" started also included so people can see how often things reduce etc and hopefully avoid the confusion I came across. Just one other thing, how often do the prices drop? looking at the dates its seems they drop a lot, but not very often, if you made it drop by a penny every day/hour or minute etc visitors would be more likely to stay or come back, from memory I think this is what madbid.com do, it just makes the website seem more "live"

I like the logo, the simplicity of the site, maybe a little more colour/background would be god. Think the general concept is Great, Good Luck with your venture.

Kind Regards
    DIY John

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the site!

I like the design, the simplicity is good. the logo is good... maybe style up the side menu a little more, but keep it simple!

I personally think you should have two separate informational boxes up top. A buyers box with your helpful images and a short explanation, and a sellers box with that information also, so that people can tell immediately what the benefit are for both.

I think also you need more content, but thats a given, and will come with time (maybe)

Good luck!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. We have just re-arranged the home page to include a "how it works" section both for buyers and sellers (thx, brandontw).

DIY John, yes, we are finding that users do not immediately understand how the pricing works. The first price (now green) is the current price that you would pay if you wanted to checkout now. The second price on the right is would be the future price of the item after a mark down (and if it's still available!). Right now the seller specifies the price schedule and it can be up to 6 drops from 1-30 days between drops. But I like your idea of having the prices change more quickly, perhaps even like an odometer on a car.

cali_dev, yeah, it's a pretty simple design and we are looking to punch it up a bit more.

Please keep the feedback coming!

SitePoint Member
    Over Wyre, Near Blackpool, NW United Kingdon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lovin the modifications, lots clearer info on how it works etc...(just tested it on the wife n she got it!)

Keep up the good work, i'll be looking for bargains!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey!

I really like the website design, nice and minimalisitic but looks professional. I like the colour scheme and everything looks in the correct place. I like the foundations for the navigation bar but i'd like to see how that extends out as more is added to it. The whole layout of the homepage is very nice. I also really like the logo, looks very professional.

I dont like the "try it now" button in the center, looks kind of tacky and cheap and i think it would put off alot of visitors. I'd recommend making it look more like a button by making it stick out. Another recommendation might be to add some sort of border round the each bit of content, but i dont know how that would look. Im just trying to think of a way to make the content look a little more independant.

I'd certainly consider using your website service and i looke forward to seeing how it pans out. Thank you,
    -GG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi pbreit,

When you get to the item for sale and it lists future prices, there is a question mark icon.

I know you want people to either hover or click on this to get an explanation. When I did this, nothing happened. I'm running Safari on a Mac.

When I inspected the source code I see you have a "title" attribute that says: "The price of this item will automatically decrease on the dates listed. However the item may not be available if you wait."

I know that for IE on a PC this will show you a hover effect. Better to use a javascript library so all those iPads and Macs out there can see the message.

-- Aaron Rosenzweig
    Last edited by ralph.m; Jul 29, 2011 at 23:19. Reason: removed faux signature
    -- Aaron Rosenzweig
    Chat 'n Bike