User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many pages is Ideal for a website?

I was wondering. How many pages do you think is ideal for a typical website? How does the number of web pages help you in SEO?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmsptyltd View Post
    How many pages do you think is ideal for a typical website?
    How does the number of web pages help you in SEO?
    it doesn't
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    it doesn't
    Then 1 would be ideal. Less work, same effect!

Nice hitchhiker reference.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no "ideal" number of pages for a website. Add as many pages as you need.

In terms of SEO, it'll help to have more pages because it would mean there are more pages the search engines can index. In other words, the more content you have, the greater the chance of ranking.
    Los Angeles SEO Consultant

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    but each page would rank for different keywords, so if "the more content you have, the greater the chance of ranking' is true, then your best strategy would be to have as many pages as, say, wikipedia
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you increase the number of pages in your website then it will good for SEO. If you increase the website pages then it will also increase your website contents. Search engines loves website those who have good contents. And we cannot stick with a specific number or pages it varies according to the website topic.

********* user
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The greater the number of quality pages the better if there is good navigational structure and internal linking between pages in your website.

Some more info can be found here:
    Perfecting Keyword Targeting & On-Page Optimization | SEOmoz

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infonote View Post
    The greater the number of quality pages the better
    the better for what?

and where do you stop?

seriously, all you seo experts seem to be making a logical case for increasing the size of your web site to wikipedia proportions

and that's just silly

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no limit of pages, but i guess it would be better if you have more pages in your site. Your site will be content rich and that is something Google really love. Try to make proper internal linking and this thing also give you benefit from SEO point of view.

SitePoint Enthusiast PiontekMedia's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The number of pages is practically irrelevant. What really matters is the CONTENT of those pages and the quality of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john orton View Post
    ...Your site will be content rich and that is something Google really love...
    Seriously, that is like trying to say in order for you to get to the top your site has to be the one with the most pages against 345,000 something competitors, right? No. Having more pages than the rest doesn't guarantee you anything in Google's eyes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The number of pages does not necessarily help with SEO at all. It is not the # of pages a website has, but the website's footprint across the world wide web.

There is no idea number of pages, but it certainly helps to keep in mind which kind of website you are starting. A personal website typically contains 4-10 pages, a corporation's website might have anywhere from 10-50, and an e-commerce website might have anywhere from 25-(unlimited) number of pages based on the number of products/services/feature.

Hope this helps!

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The search engines consider each page separately so as far as SEO is concerned it doesn't matter whether you have one page or ten million pages.

A web site should have one page for each piece of information that deserves to be on a separate page.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think number of pages doesn't matter. Google look at the page not in the entire website.

SitePoint Enthusiast AsifOglacs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

There is no Limit for number of pages, But Navigation of URL have to be done good. It is Necessary!!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well what you do ideally do is to limit # of pages on your main site to 5-10 and then create a separate sub-directory and set-up blog, and then keep adding 1-2pages/week to your blog.

This prevents the PR to flow from your homepage to new pages of blog!

I guess this is what all the corporates do, and it makes a lot of sense!
    Consult the best indian seo company to get Page1 Rankings!

Check out smoking hot scarlett johansson pictures

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by omthoke View Post
    Well what you do ideally do is to limit # of pages on your main site to 5-10 and then create a separate sub-directory and set-up blog, and then keep adding 1-2pages/week to your blog.

This prevents the PR to flow from your homepage to new pages of blog!

I guess this is what all the corporates do, and it makes a lot of sense!
    No, that is not what the corporates do, and I have to say, it is a thoroughly unhelpful suggestion.

The answer to the original question is there is no answer. Different types of sites will have different requirements. You can't say that sites should keep adding new pages to their blogs, because many sites don't have blogs.

Splitting your site over multiple domains and subdomains is not usually a good strategy, it dilutes your brand, confuses people as to what site they are looking at and makes your site maintenance much more complicated. A prime example is Design Festival, which is a branch of Sitepoint, although you wouldn't know it from a first or second look.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See designfestival is NOT a sub-domain or directory of sitepoint, so how on earth is anybody going to figure it out?

However, if you have xyz.com and then xyz.com/blog, with SAME theme, it's quite obvious that's they're SAME! (very few ppl know that if you install wordpress or any blogging software on a separate directory, it's treated separately by search engines!)

And, I didn't mean that everyone should do it!

There's definitely no clear answer to this question, but I suggested a work-around since updating your site weekly helps in keeping content fresh, and in turn getting better SERP, provided you do good KW research and link building!
    Consult the best indian seo company to get Page1 Rankings!

Check out smoking hot scarlett johansson pictures

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have as many pages as you want but one thing for sure, these all pages should have to have unique contents. Similarly I think according to your business services you have pages. ...

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by omthoke View Post
    See designfestival is NOT a sub-domain or directory of sitepoint, so how on earth is anybody going to figure it out?

However, if you have xyz.com and then xyz.com/blog, with SAME theme, it's quite obvious that's they're SAME! (very few ppl know that if you install wordpress or any blogging software on a separate directory, it's treated separately by search engines!)
    Sorry, I misread your post, I thought you were talking about setting up separate sites.

In terms of SEO, if you have a subsite, using a subdomain or directory, that is essentially self-contained and without a lot of links to and from the main site, search engines might well treat it as a separate site, because that's the way it's behaving. On the other hand, if your navigation goes essentially across both sites, search engines will treat them as one. (That's true whether you're talking about blog software or any other type of pages).

But why would you want to set up a subdomain that was deliberately designed to keep the link juice from your main site out? All that means is that people will be less likely to find the subdomain/blog...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmd View Post
    More number of pages attract more visitors for your website.
    This is clearly wrong, but I welcome you to clarify this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmd View Post
    As every page contains a keyword of its own.The number of backlinks also can be increased by Submissions.
    I would have thought that adding new links would always increase links, so that's a pretty redundant statement. However, to make another redundant statement, adding hundreds of weak links will still make your site weak.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering. How many pages do you think is ideal for a typical website? How does the number of web pages help you in SEO?
    More is better. Facebook has 2.6 billion pages in Google index. Of course the content must be good/unique.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokra View Post
    More is better. Facebook has 2.6 billion pages in Google index. Of course the content must be good/unique.
    That's misleading as I wouldn't characterize Facebook as a typical website, and the content isn't related to a specific topic. That'd be like counting each of SitePoint's thread topics as pages - it's flawed logic.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search engines are like fresh content. If you have update more pages with unique content regularly then it's very easy to crawl your website with daily basis and produce more traffic.

Thanks
    Last edited by DaveMaxwell; May 13, 2011 at 06:29. Reason: removed fake sig

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you can add many pages.Search engine index your page if and only if your content is unique.And you can get the best traffic if you proper optimize your all the pages of your website.