SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist spoondevil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question A Graffiti Wall???

We are currently racking our brains for features to add to our site (bigworms) to make it more interesting and get people to return on a regular basis.

We used to have an OpenBB forum, but got rid of this and opted for a simple message board - due to the small amount of people, and the hassle administring it. We will be adding a a full eCommerce feature to it by the end of the year (Thanks oscommerce)

We have 2 new ideas though:

[list=1][*]Offer free SMS messaging via fonetastic which seems a nice feature, and it's free![*]Have a Graffiti Wall. What I mean by this it to have a really simple Paint package installed and for people to write messages, draw pictures, etc etc and then when they close their browser, it actually saves the info, and when someone else goes to the page, it will show this. I have never seen anything like this before, and don't even know if it's possible. What I could settle for is something where people can draw on it and then save the image to the server. If they, or someone else, wants to add/change it later, they can "load" it up and draw more on it. These saved pictures will be saved in a gallery of their own.[/list=1]
    Does Point 2 sound at all possible? I understand that most of the programming wouldn't be in PHP, but more Java or JavaScript. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I would like to see some examples if so.

Regards
    Ian Gunter

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be very to implement using Flash MX's drawing API and Shared Objects. Have you explored this avenue yet? Contact me outside the forum at louie@irq11.com if you are interested in having someone do it for you.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freddydoesphp said this could be implemented
    using Flash MX's drawing API and Shared Objects.
    This sounded like an interesting idea to me so I did a search and found a webpage that discusses it.

http://actionscript-toolbox.com/saveShapes.php

When I find some free time I'm going to try to see if I can't so something with this api.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey that's my idea! :)

i'm starting to make exactly that at the moment - a user forum that's doodle based rather than text based like this one

but i'm going down the java applet road rather than the flash one:
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=74161

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugghhhh, please go back to flash, its so much more fun.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.