SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47
  1. #26
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    ... so I may have completely missed the point.
    I just checked your answers. You understood what to do and you are very close. Only one error
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  2. #27
    Non-Member bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Keene, NH
    Posts
    3,760
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only error I can think of is the ONE thing I ... well... I won't give it away, but pretty sure that still works on inline-level elements.... though it's something I would NEVER do in code in the first place.
    Last edited by Paul O'B; May 1, 2011 at 01:53. Reason: spolier tags added

  3. #28
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    I won't give it away, but pretty sure that still works on inline-level elements.... though it's something I would NEVER do in code in the first place.
    You're saying too much
    Last edited by Paul O'B; May 1, 2011 at 01:53. Reason: spoiler tag added
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  4. #29
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,342
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry koblentz View Post
    Actually, I'm starting to think that I should have asked a native english speaker to write the question for me as it seems the way I worded it has confused many people. Even though I thought it was pretty straightforward.

    Thanks for participating!
    lol - Don't worry I have the same problem in the CSS quizzes here as it's always hard to phrase something without giving too much away but still make it clear what needs to be done.

  5. #30
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,276
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Actually, I'm starting to think that I should have asked a native english speaker to write the question for me as it seems the way I worded it has confused many people. Even though I thought it was pretty straightforward.
    It totally wasn't, maybe because we're CSS people who assume

    a) CSS is supposed to Do Stuff
    b) someone (a user) was expecting it to Do Stuff
    c) we're supposed to fix it so that it does Do Stuff

    So I'd been trying to think of how to make the thing work, and that wasn't the point.
    Next time I would say, "This element has these styles (below). These styles are in order (if you're going to list the same property twice, then just answer this question for participants right away). Remove any rules which can be removed without changing how this element displays."
    (so, nothing about rewriting them, because that's when we start thinking "oh, that means we should fix them"). I think that's what threw many people off, and why they asked for context.

  6. #31
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,342
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    lol - I just realised that my submission had one too many rules

  7. #32
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul O'B View Post
    lol - I just realised that my submission had one too many rules
    Yes, but in the spirit of this quizz I consider you the winner

    Because you're the only one who spotted the possible issue with the last declaration. Even though it is a edge case which is more related to "behavior" than "display" it is the kind of thing that gives you bonus point.

    fyi, I think only 4 or 5 people out of a hundred said the whole rule could be removed and I believe one of them just guessed it as he listed himself as "beginner". Either that or the guy is really modest ;-)

    Also, there could be a false positive in there. For example, some people have removed the z-index value because they said the value was too high (only true for Safari 3 I believe), not saying it was because the element was not positioned.
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  8. #33
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,888
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It seems the quiz is now closed.

    For posterity, any chance you could re-post it here with the correct answer and rationale?

  9. #34
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry koblentz View Post
    some people have removed the z-index value because they said the value was too high (only true for Safari 3 I believe), not saying it was because the element was not positioned.
    I can't believe I put one too many digit in there
    I just noticed that I have 2,200,007,253 in the rule and not 200,007,253 as I thought. In this case the value is too large as the maximum is 2,147,483,647 (32bit signed integer)
    This does not change the answer for the quiz though, but it gives bonus point to people who removed it because of the span not being positioned and for being a too large value anyway.
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  10. #35
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm planning to write something and put it up on my site. I'll put the link here when that's done.

    Thanks
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  11. #36
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,276
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Which site? There are 3 in your sig.

  12. #37
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either tjkdesign or css-101, in any case I'll make sure to post the link here.
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  13. #38
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is: CSS Quiz from April 28, 2011: results

    Thanks to all who participated!
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  14. #39
    Non-Member bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Keene, NH
    Posts
    3,760
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your "explanation" is flawed, as for the 50px padding you say:

    This declaration cannot be removed as it would make the box shrink.

    It's overridden by the second one -- which applies NO side padding, so the net result would be NO padding applied; there-in BOTH paddings could be removed as NO padding is actually applied for positioning.

    So your answer is wrong. BOTH paddings should be removed as zero padding is applied when both are present. Removing it will make it render 100px wider than it does with it in there!

    Though Pauls response does raise a point; of the two paddings only the second one is applied -- and that would render in some browsers without changing the actual height of the element, so the second one DOES do something while the first one is overridden.

    Though I could have sworn text-indent worked on display:inline elements... NOT that I would ever apply text-indent in that manner in my code as that's an outdated/broken/half-assed method for what is likely trying to be an image replacement.

  15. #40
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,342
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Thanks Thierry for an interesting quiz which sparked some interesting debate

    As the screenshot below shows, anonymous online quizzes are troll magnets ;-)
    lol - where do they come from

  16. #41
    SitePoint Addict EarlyOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sector R
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny. I'm a rank amateur with CSS, and had the right answer. But for the wrong reason. My thought was that, since there was no content, and nothing being displayed, you could eliminate all the CSS. There would then still be no content, and still nothing would be displayed.

    By analogy, if you had a page of HTML, but specified that the page would never be opened in a browser, how much of the page could you delete? All of it, obviously. If a tree falls in the forest...

  17. #42
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,276
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There would then still be no content, and still nothing would be displayed.
    Not if you fixed it:

    background: url(theimage.png) no-repeat;
    padding: 50px;

    Zero content, something displayed. A (badly implemented) sandbag.

    But because the background-image property was screwed up, it wouldn't have appeared, so then yeah, nothing appears. If there were text content then possibly the padding changes (assuming Crusty is right and that was the CSS order, even tho 50px padding was overridden by 10px 0 padding, adding text would indeed give the thing a content-width).

  18. #43
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    Your "explanation" is flawed, as for the 50px padding you say:
    This declaration cannot be removed as it would make the box shrink.
    But at this point, the author has no knowledge of any other padding declaration. We could even say that he should not even expect another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    It's overridden by the second one -- which applies NO side padding, so the net result would be NO padding applied; there-in BOTH paddings could be removed as NO padding is actually applied for positioning. So your answer is wrong. BOTH paddings should be removed as zero padding is applied when both are present. Removing it will make it render 100px wider than it does with it in there!
    Did you read the description for the last rule? It says:

    The rule already includes a padding declaration. Because of the cascade, the first one (above) is ignored. As mentioned earlier, top and bottom values do not change the dimension of the box, thus this declaration can be removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow60 View Post
    Though Pauls response does raise a point; of the two paddings only the second one is applied -- and that would render in some browsers without changing the actual height of the element, so the second one DOES do something while the first one is overridden.
    It is a valid point, but the quiz was about display, not behavior. Besides, it would not really break anything. It would rather "fix" something that is already broken. Unless that padding (I'd say the top padding) is used as a hack to prevent user interaction. But in this case I'd expect some serious commenting around that rule

    Anyway, I edited the page to add to both descriptions (see bold text):

    This declaration cannot be removed as it would make the box shrink (make sure to keep reading though).

    As mentioned earlier, top and bottom values do not change the dimension of the box, thus this declaration can be removed as well as the first padding declaration in this rule.

    Thanks a lot for your feedback!
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  19. #44
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul

    Regarding trolls, I suspect this one came from reddit.
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  20. #45
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyOut View Post
    My thought was that, since there was no content, and nothing being displayed, you could eliminate all the CSS.
    Who said there was no content?
    The box does exist on the page and it wraps some text.

    In the background declaration, remove no-repeat and see what it does
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org

  21. #46
    SitePoint Addict EarlyOut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sector R
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry koblentz View Post
    In the background declaration, remove no-repeat and see what it does
    I thought the rules of the quiz were that no declaration was to be fixed, only removed or not removed.

  22. #47
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyOut View Post
    I thought the rules of the quiz were that no declaration was to be fixed, only removed or not removed.
    Removing that part of the rule would fix the declaration, but would fail the test as this would change the look of the page

    I only suggested to do this to see that the box (the span) was not empty. That unlike the original quiz, the article contains both the styles and the markup.
    Thierry :: @thierrykoblentz
    tjkdesign.com | ez-css.org | css-101.org


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •