SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does your site use a template?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 21.43%
  • No

19 67.86%
  • A modified template

3 10.71%
    Web Genius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of you use a template?

How many websites do you have that use a template?
    It seems more and more sites I visit I've seen them around before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... my site uses a template, but I made it myself and I've not given it to anyone else, so yea, it does!

Doesn't yours??

Douglas
    Hello World

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Templates

Code:
    Templates is the only way to go in my opinion.
    "A Successful man is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using, Templates .. it depends on what site you want to make and all..Using templates is no big prob ... but i use it after modifications or making my own.... i don't ( and so wouldn't many) prefer using templates available free to thousands of people... and ways templates make the site design look good, without them, usually, the site looks dull !!! and it shouldn't be added, that most of the site designs can be categorised as templates.. so using templates isn't bad, unless its ur own or its modified !!
    Peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about all sites with more than 1 page use 'templates' (per se), it makes it easy to update, keeps everything in order and means the site is more or less the same all of the way through.

But it you mean a template from one of these template sites that is not origional that another 8000 people have as well, no, that is a horrible way to go IMO.

it's all about being unique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't templates the easiest way to produce a consistent design? (Without going into the WebApp arena).

I always start my sites by building templates(I've never plagiarised, yet!), how many designs depends on the elements of the site.... but it's like building library objects in DW, if you're used to it, it becomes habit... if not you'll need convinced before you start...
    You know that somewhere,
    there's someone who's out there,
    who thinks like you do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people are getting a bit confused... a template is simply what you base your site around... wether is bought from a dodgy template site for $5 or custom designed by a professional web design company for $5,000 -- it's still a template either way!

all a template is, is the general look and feel of the site REGARDLESS of where is was bought from and how many people use it.

But why would you bother buying a template that other people can also use, chances are if you buy one you won't be changing it, so when someone visits your site they just think "cheap!, i've seen that on 8 other sites today". How are you going to market it properly, really, imagine if TV companies sold advertisments, which were all the same except for changing the company name -- wouldn't be worth it really, no one would be able to make the difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use templates, but I always make my own.
    Lauren and Auster

The dog is a reflection of his master. - Max v. Stephanitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used a template made by someone else. It's been tempting at times as I am frustrated at my own limited graphical skills, but in the end I do not want to publish anything I did not create myself, whether for myself or someone else. It's like wearing someone else's clothes to me. They may be better clothes than my own, but they just aren't going to feel right to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all designs can be termed as templates !!! in whatever sense or form.. if it's a design or layout.. its a template
    Peace.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I allways use templates. It's my favorite thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use templates on all the sites i build mainly for speed over anything else, but i dont use them on my own site cuz it only has four pages and so i thought i'd do somin a little different...

on the same subject has anybody ever seen the same template (from a dodgy templates site) used on more than one site in any given day? does that make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use templates per se, meaning that i write the code myself, i have a set way of organizing my code and commenting it, i have a set way of how things are placed and how they function. i believe that if you have a site, you need to keep some continuity with it, i don't believe it is professional by any means to use other peoples templates, or steal code from them.

that's just my opinion. plus, how many websites are there anymore? of course some sites are gonna look identical to others.. we still code in rows & columns.... it's all about the "square" we see when we look at our monitors... :\
    Steve v3.2.2 running on LocalSuck port 80

(****** or Deleted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what ramprage is asking is who uses bought templates? Considering the poll options this is what it seems to me... And personally, not a hope in hell...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i recommend using PHP learn it and it can do wonders..... it saved me about 30 hours....
    www.php.net