SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zeldman: 99.9% of Websites Are Obsolete

And you thought Nielson was extreme! But yep, that what he says. :-)
    (99.9% of Websites Are Obsolete--Digital Web) An equal opportunity disease afflicts nearly every site now on the Web, from the humblest personal homepages to the multi-million-dollar sites of corporate giants. Cunning and insidious, the disease goes largely unrecognized because it is based on industry norms. Though their owners and managers may not know it yet, 99.9% of all websites are obsolete.

These sites may look and work all right in mainstream, desktop browsers whose names end in the numbers 4 or 5. But outside these fault-tolerant environments, the symptoms of disease and decay have already started to appear

These practices ["versioning" and coding to browsers] waste time and money. Neither commodity has ever been abundant; both have been in especially short supply since the Western Economy began its millennial downturn. Worse still, these costly practices fail to solve the problem. Sites are still broken. Users are still locked out.
    The article's a fairly interesting little diatribe from the Z man, excerpted from his upcoming book, Forward Compatibility: Designing & Building With Standards. It focus on the fundamental problems of coding for implementations with a special emphasis on the cost of it all. He also harps on "fault tolerant" browsers that allow substandard code, thereby encouraging bad HTML coding practices.

Also today, a new article from the W3C's Quality Assurance group on how to achieve Web standards and quality on your Web site, stressing the importance of validation. :-)

~~Ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Zeldman overreacts sometimes... I respect him very very very much, but he can overreact in certain situations (this being one of it ).
    zweistein.web - tips&tricks for webmasters, music, programming, computers, Python, etc. new!!! English version, too!
    email | ICQ: 161202879 | AIM: zweistein2169

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian, you need to get a blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually he (Zeldman not Ian ) speaks to much twaddle for me to read.. maybe its just me but reading his article he started off by saying we only code for 4 & 5 type browsers and slightly mentions whats misisng and then totally changes tack and goes on to how we code badly in all version mainly 4 & 5 ... ??

was it just me or is there 2 points in there that got merged totally into 1??

I agree that people should use css not font tags which basically is all that was said - and he took how many lines to say that !!!

anyway I shouldn't read him I think he just confuses me and then I miss the point totally

shame really as a book like that could be really helpful but interpersed with his commentary - I think I'll give it a miss.
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing - he needs to be more concise. The basic point that I got out of it is that if you author to standards you don't have to worry about browser-specific hacks and your site will work right for everyone. I don't know why he needed 10 pages to say that and I really wonder why he needs a whole book to say that...
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I do respect Zeldman's ideas - and in a perfect world he's right.

I'm actually working on an article on this very subject
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good crowe just as long as its not in true zeldman written style
    Regular user