SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loading external files with attributes (frame question)

I'm currently redesigning the whole of my website. Currently I have a 3 frame system. TOP - main nav bar, INDEX - left scrolling section index, MAIN - individual sections. It works very well as everything loads quickly and I have over 700 sections in the index so a scrolling index on the left is really the only way to go.
    As I have set up some javascript to load the TOP and INDEX frames when someone accesses the MAIN frame as an orphan from a search engine, it has caused problems with the back button if people come via a sesarch engine. Also creating 'favourites' of individual sections is impossible 'cos it only saves the main original frameset.

I would like to have the MAIN sections as individual pages specifying the 2 other frames independently of the original 'index.html' frameset.
    e.g anyone accessing a section through a search engine will in actual fact load all 3 pages. Sooo, what I really want is a way to set up a frameset without having a separate frameset file. I could set up a frameset for each section - but do I really need to do that??

Any other suggestions very gratefully received! It's prob very simple - but it's driving me mad, the more I think about it the more I can't think about it!

(****** or Deleted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you perhaps use some sort of Server Side Include to instead of using frames, have each page as a seperate file that has a command to include the top/menu parts for each page?

Is pretty easy to setup, but the way you are asking, I do not think it is possible, one of the (many?) drawbacks to using frames...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks!! - looked into SSI and found it's just the thing I thought must be possible, but couldn't work out how. Just waiting for my server to enable SSI and then let the fun begin!

(****** or Deleted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know if it worked