SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FTP folders on Windows like you can have on Linux?

Despite being a Linux fan, I develop on Windows because of Corel Graphics Suite and other compatibility issues. One thing I really miss about Linux is the ability to effortlessly "mount" a remote FTP site, making it behave just like a local folder in terms of being able to save things directly to it, etc. I have looked around for a program (preferably open source) that would emulate this behavior on Windows, but have not yet found the ideal candidate.

Anybody got any suggestions? All this save-to-desktop/reconnect Filezilla/drag-to-Filezilla/make-changes/repeat stuff is taking years off my life.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you double click to open a file in filezilla, it will upload your saved changes after closing it.

[edit]: And a quick google search brought up an app called netdrive, but it's not free.

http://www.netdrive.net/

And a few possible free ones: http://alternativeto.net/software/ne...atform=windows
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am familiar with Netdrive, but it seems to me there must be an open source one somewhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally did get around to installing a trial of Netdrive and using it to modify some images on a remote FTP. All the images I modified got corrupted, which doesn't exactly infuse me with confidence in Netdrive. I looked at the alternatives page to which you linked, but nothing on there appears to be what I am describing.

Anybody got any other ideas? In my case I cannot use Filezilla's edit feature, because I am mostly re-exporting graphics [i]to[i] the remote site, not editing the copies that are already there.

EDIT: Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but Windows does have basic network drive mapping that is compatible with FTP. I'll try this and see how it works out.