SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

javascript on a server???

can someone please tell me why javascript can't be used as a cgi/scripting language like perl? i've used perl to handle forms submissions to perl pgms on a server, but can't make javascript pgms work in a server cgi-bin. is it about unix vs. NT, or maybe javascript doesn't understand cgi, or WHAT??
    thanks.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In short, it can. You can write ASP in JavaScript. In ASP you set your scripting language at the top of the page. As long as your server has the drivers to know what to do with it you can pretty much use any scripting language.

Also, by adding runat="server" to your script tag you make the server process it anyway -- though that's not really what you're after. Bit of a side point.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also server-side javascript... But I don't think it is even supported anymore. It wasn't very popular because it was slow and the code was hard to read.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: javascript on a server???

Originally posted by theodo
    i've used perl to handle forms submissions to perl pgms on a server, but can't make javascript pgms work in a server cgi-bin.
    Also, I'm not sure what you mean by this, but don't forget that all the clever stuff like sending email, uploading images, etc. is handled by third party apps anyway. You can do that no more with JavaScript than you can with Perl (Perl usually piggybacks on to sendmail for email purposes for example, whereas ASP might use ASPMail, MS SMTP, etc.)

G