SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by html5
    ATTENTION: THIS PAGE IS Valid HTML 5 AND IS BEST VIEWED WITH HTML 5 - Please upgrade your browser or download one of the HTML 5 compatible browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Opera or IE 9 (March 14, 2011 or later).
    Hello, 1990's! I've missed you so! BEST VIEWED IN THE SOFTWARE OF OUR CHOICE!
    I'm waiting for them to add in the CSS3 replacement of the animated gif for the Best Viewed In badge.

Because the web should be fractured, with some people allowed to access content while others cannot... cause that egalitarian nonesense from Tim Berners-Lee about device independence and software independence, for a Free Web and all... well that's just a silly hippy dream. I say, let's just get on with it and have some people get a better experience if they pay a little more to their ISPs too. That also sounds like an excellent idea. I'm 110% behind it.

The point of HTML5 was to first update forms, then fix problems in HTML4 and make it more semantic... instead, here it's clearly just another reason to stuff your tags with more tags and more tags... you know, the more code the better. Like a burrito.

CODE BURRITO! I'M IN!!

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awasson View Post
    Are you seeing anything similar here?
    Interestingly, the only browser that's showing up here for is IE. In Opera and FF it's just showing:
    xenforo.com/community/ - Cached - Similar

So that's browser specific? That's really silly... No wonder I'm not seeing what you're referring to. Ok, so it is pulling that data in some cases.

It's a cute idea, but the way it's handled in the code is the dumbest thing I've ever seen -- endless pointless attributes for what should probably be a SINGLE attribute on the UL. (of course, FORCING people to *SHOCK* use a list for a list of choices that way endless nested span run-on bull like Xenforo itself wouldn't work)

Think about it -- how stupid is it to have to use attributes and an extra span to say an anchor is a URL and the the text inside it is the title? Am I the ONLY one seeing that as redundant/pointless bloat? Much less the absolute URL on EVERY blasted parent of the anchor? ... and to think people still piss and moan about a full doctype having the full URL on it.

That's the most bloated nonsense I've seen since the last time I poked my head into a turdpress template. It's the same idiocy as the people who fail to grasp the "cascading" part of CSS and vomit up nonsense like this:

Code:
    <div id="nav">
    	<ul id="navUL">
    		<li class="navLI"><a href="#" class="navA"><b class="red">Home</b></a></li>
    		<li class="navLI"><a href="#" class="navA"><b class="red">Forums</b></a></li>
    		<li class="navLI"><a href="#" class="navA"><b class="red">Links</b></a></li>
    	</ul>
    </div>
    EXACT same type of stupid nonsense. STANDARDIZE the parent wrapper, and inherit off the parent!

All of that microcode stuff REEKS of that level of stupidity and/or ignorance. All that garbage bloated extra markup 99% of users will NEVER see on the page, just for something that could have been implemented a lot easier if they just made it one attribute on UL to say "these are breadcrumbs".

It's literally like the people behind HTML 5 missed the point of STRICT, fail to understand separation of presentation from content, and want to make the SIMPLEST of things as absurdly complicated as possible.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, the only browser that's showing up here for is IE. In Opera and FF it's just showing:
    xenforo.com/community/ - Cached - Similar
    Works here in FF without JS: it's just not the first result. There are a few Xenforo results and I see just one with the breadcrumb in it. But I do see it in all my browsers.

Come to think of it, I recall seeing this a few times before, but it hadn't meant anything to me. Maybe I'd have seen more of it if Google was my default search engine. : )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Works here in FF without JS: it's just not the first result. There are a few Xenforo results and I see just one with the breadcrumb in it. But I do see it in all my browsers.
    Yup. Shows up that way in FF, Chrome, all versions of IE>6. But let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good session of frothing at the mouth.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    /*continues frothing*/

: )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I wasn't referring to you. You actually stay on topic, and you're just an amateur when it comes to bloviation and gasbaggery.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    and you're just an amateur when it comes to bloviation and gasbaggery.
    I'm working hard towards Pro tho! : )

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awasson View Post
    Really? So for all the fan fair and discussion about HTML5, nobody has come up with a set of specifics on how we can integrate it into the real world without leaving the majority of web users in the dust?

That sounds like a golden opportunity for a new Book
    Well, it looks like I'm not the only one who thought this was a good idea: http://www.sitepoint.com/books/htmlcss1/
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development