User Tag List

Thread: SSL and frames

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSL and frames

What is the best way to implement SSL for a web site based on frames?

Third party content - requiring SSL - will be displayed within a frameset within our domain. I need to know the best way to do this so that the customer is aware of being in a secure mode - padlock is visible and a security alert.

A previous example of this with another company does not show the padlock despite the page being https within the frameset. Also i do not get a security alert prompt to indicate im switching from insecure to secure mode, or that the page contains both insecure and secure items. Have these been suppressed somehow? In other words the customer will not realise that the page is secure so this is not a good model.

Opening a new window is not an ideal option as it is required to maintain our branding around the content.

Will it be necessary to secure our domain too (the frameset) or not?

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe that this depends on what frame is in "secure" mode. If it is the page with all the frames within it then the padlock will be displayed. However if it is only one page within the frameset then the padlock will not be displayed.

regards

Si

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the content in the frame that is secure infact encrypted while being include by a page that is not secure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you will need to secure you domain to fully have a secured website. Otherise mixing secure & non-secure items will cause most browsers to issue a warnig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was more worried about my C/C details being unsecure on a page where just the frame was secured.