SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Access 2007 DB with linked tables to a sharepoint site's lists

I have an ASP classic 1.0 application written in vbscript. This application connects through code to an Access 2007 Database which holds Linked SharePoint lists in tables.

When I run the application on my development box within the network that the share point site is on, everything works as expected and Iím able to query the DB and thus the SharePoint lists.

The problem is that our website is ultimately hosted by an outside hosting company. Since the host server does not reside within out network, the access DB needs to supply credentials to the Sharepoint Site to gain access to the lists.

This works fine if I open the DB directly and deal with the tables as access will prompt me for credentials. When I try the same using VBScript, the application hangs because it never prompts for credentials.

How do I either of the following:
    - Tell application to prompt for credentials.
    - Hard code credentials into the application either in Vbscript or in the access DB itself.

I understand that I can redirect the user of the application to a page served on my dev box here within the network, but that does not help when the user is offsite (Say I was to work from home).

Michael

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to the Access 'linked tables'? If I recall correctly, you can save credentials in the linked table manager when you create the linked tables, you might re-create the linked tables and look for any checkbox to save credentials or something.

[disclaimer]I haven't used access much since around Access 2003[/disclaimer]
    Doug G
    =====
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the view is always the same - Anon

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually created the database by viewing the calendar in Sharepoint and selecting "Open with Access" from the toolbar. I was given an access 2007 database with a table in it that is linked to the sharepoint calendar.

I've looked around access and have fund no way to enter the access credentials for the sharepoint site that the table links to. If someone could help me figure out where to store the site login I'd be ever so greatfull.