SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[LAYOUT] Home Page Web Layout

I would like some feedback on a web layout I am working on. What are its strengths and weaknesses? What can be improved?

The main box in the center is a video - it's right column contains images that, when clicked, will play the corresponding video.

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put your top links more in the middle of the lighter wood if you know what I mean so they're not blending in with the darker wood. Other than that nice design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall I think it looks wonderful! Great job, creating an up to date church website that is modern and will also appeal to a younger audience. Love the slider and the social media graphics in the footer!

Just a couple of suggestions, purely my opinion:
    1. I would maybe decrease the width as users on a 1024x768 display (such as myself) have to scroll horizontally (never a good thing).
    2. Tightening up some of the blank space above and below the slider would allow more content to be displayed above the fold.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice design. i think the text of the links at the bottom could be bigger. same for the logo at the top if you move the video and slideshow a bit lower.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

First of all I really love this mockup! A few small things that I would change is a bolder and softer font for the nav links. Also reduce the space between the video and the horizontal slider (my eye keeps being drawn to the empty space).
    Overall this is a very nice design and great use of depth.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move the video section vertically down to give more space for the navigation, it is a nice page, good focus on textures. Some sites can stay on theme while others have to go 360 to be more effective. For example you want to sell a 'soft candy' site as in a tattoo parlor, the name comes across as a under 15 audience but you want adults who want 'badass' tattoos so when someone goes to softcandy.com - softcandy Resources and Information. This website is for sale! you may have told them it's a tattoo site but they forgot, once they visit, they will say to them-self 'ohh' then hopefully I want a tattoo from softcandy, understand ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the light gray background. I agree with Siberian's suggestion to move your video interface down, because you will be able to use the space better.

Another option is to continue the woodgrain background and have it gradually fade out, like a gradient. That way, instead of a solid edge to the header's background you'll have a softer edge that blends in with the design.

Or you could continue the background and make it semi-transparent.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would decrease the size of your main images. Go with the width/height of a youtube video for your video portion. This is kind of an industry standard for videos anyhow. Then, scale down your three images on the right side. I don't think they have to be as large to still be visible and effective.

Develop some content around what your website is about and have it on the front page. It doesn't have to be anything lengthy. 100-200 words would beneficial. Allow the pastor an opportunity to say something to people who have never stepped foot into your church and give him an opportunity to tell people what his vision is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks excellent.

Maybe just a few small improvements to the navigation bar (maybe get a green background for the button that represents your current page?).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you havn't already done so, perhaps green text or green box on rollover for the navigation.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your design but you can provide more space between logo and video area and increase the size of links in footer also put a nice mouse over style to your links. there is so much at bottom part disconnecting the design. put a line or two describing the purpose of site. Overall very good design especially the social media icons area.