These comments are in regards to the SitePoint.com article \'Boxes and Arrows: Defining Information Architecture Deliverables\'.

Great article on Information architecture, it's not really something that's taught very extensively at most schools, although the IMM post graduate course at Sheridan College came pretty close. The Information architecture part was built into the Project Management class within the course so and we had design and coding to do as well so it didn't get that extensive coverage. It's a really fascinating subject and I'm mapping out a portal site right now using suggestions on the deliverables neccessary for a successfully "designed" site. Your suggestion of getting end-users to define the categories is priceless, we could committee that to death or fight over our preferences, but we as developers are too close to the topic and would have natural biases. "No that belongs in consumer electronics!, no that belongs in toys!...etc etc."

Since I'm the site "designer" and there is no explicit Information Architect person, I tend to draw concept models/flow charts and doodle interface ideas into my hand-drawn diagrams, I realise this sometimes "locks" you into an inflexible position, what are your thoughts? should interface be left completely to the end of the process and not mixed in with the architecture? As a visual person, it's sometimes difficult to not design a "look" for the site at the beginning.

-Sean