SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about "becoming" the internet but the way they're going they're going to solidify themselves a freaking massive percentage of it... as time goes and and more and more people join it seems to only be getting more stronger and powerful...

Though then again... myspace was a big baller once too.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a huge fan of Facebook (I probably get on it less than once a week), but we use it at work as a marketing tool.

It's no where near our main marketing tool, but because of our primary audience (7-17 year olds), we do get a surprising ROI, considering how little time is spend on it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true! Instead of displaying their own company name, I see "Find us at facebook.com/<insert company name>". Still, I don't share in the same view as yours. I believe FB is trying to set the norm in today's culture. Much like false advertisements of clothing...where a super models would portray how normal people should look like. They are stating "If you're not in FB, you're a nobody". However... I do see the fall of FB... I'm sure one day or another.. they'll get hit by BIG hacker organization and be on the front page of CNN "Hackers got hold of 100 million FB accounts"... imagine that!!!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should clarify that we don't advertise our Facebook URL, we advertise our site URL. However, we then have links and widgets for Facebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, keep reading this Forum, same in indonesia, FACEBOOK is made not to make friend, but to make mony and traffic, he..he.
    Nice Forum

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A recent study from Social Media Examiner's 2011 Social Media Report noted that 92% of Businesses on the internet use Facebook. That's not an insignificant number. And to those who say listing a social media button at the end of some advertisement is unprofessional for well-known companies, I would say that you should probably get used to it. Facebook might go away, but I very much doubt social media in general will. It is primarily an advertising and engagement platform that no other tool can match at the moment.

As for Facebook taking over the internet... not likely. For those who are familiar with Facebook building mechanisms, you know that you are only allowed a certain degree of customization. This is why all Facebook pages look and perform fairly similarly, there is no freedom in design.

A website however, has no limits. Not only that, there are plenty of people who want nothing to do with Facebook.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoffrey, I would argue that 92% number is skewed and request a basis for the statistic Is it based on a real survey or just some fuzzy math with unrelated figures like # of facebook fan pages / # of sites indexed by google?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transio, thanks for the feedback. I took a look at the report again (I was working on memory) and notice I've misrepresented it, so my apologies on that. The methodology was a survey conducted of 3300 marketers, of which 93% employ social media. Of those, 92% said they used Facebook for marketing purposes. So it's more like 85.6% of marketers use Facebook.

With that in mind it means the survey doesn't represent companies who don't use exclusive marketers, so the results are skewed in that sense. However, I believe the results are fairly significant either way.

You can download the report for free here: 2011 Social Media Marketing Industry Report | Social Media Examiner

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup i think that facebook is not only to become internet but it is an fully internet at this time also and in new future it will get more successes in this area

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that much easy to get into this ... but in these day's more user's are joining Facebook, As i see that facebook is mostly used for the marketing purpose and is the good place to promote anything whatever you like. Most of the id's are fake in the facebook created by some organization's and fake user's.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think your missing the point here.

People are trying to make Facebook the Internet, and Facebook is simply complying.

More and more companies are doing away with websites and are soly using Facebook. It's a free alternative for companies with a very small budget. Eventually facebook will allow domain pointing and redirect which will certainly stir the market up worldwide. Having said this web designers are needed for custom FB pages, as Dom Dick and Harry still don't know CSS and HTML, nevermind Facebook Developer Kit.

I guess the main reason people are using FB is because of it's advertising campaign. For me, I advertised my company and I did get a good response from everybody. Many people liked me. I think I got around 60+ likes from a 55 GBP budget, which was not really that bad. I did get a phone call, even though nothing materialized. Personally I feel FB Adds are more for internet based companies rather than private real world companies. It's all about the mindset of people on FB at the time, and they are more looking for internet based communities services they can relate to.

The big question here is if FB is bigger than Google, or will soon outrank Google. It seems that Google are investing in services which they need not invest. They either come in too soon to a market, and are too eager to drop their services before they pick up speed. I mean just look at Google Wave, and now Google Gestures.

FB seems to get it's timing just right, in every respect. People have longed for years to remove spam. Facebook's new email system (soon to be released) works on that idea. By looking at your social circle they are able to allow to disallow recieving emails. So basically if your friend has a friend, he can send you an email, otherwise he can't. It's not that straight forward, but this is the concept of it. Like with everything on FB, you'll have custom settings to edit these option, so if you're super-trusting, you can allow everybody.

Now, for this to work, you'll need companies to be registered on FB, using their email address. Once this is done they too could communicate with you. So FB would be like a middle-man to this email service. Any abuse will be automatically reported and dealt with. This would really make the Internet a safer place.

Even though companies are using FB as the free web-page alternative, to really get what you need from FB, you'll still require a developer. Nobody really knows the future of Facebook, and people still believe it's something they can do without help.

Without doubt having access to a 500m+ audience is interesting, but if I want information about something, I wouldn't use FB search. I use FB search to find friends. But maybe that's just me?
    I think everybody thinks like this. I've never really searched for a company on facebook.

as someone once said (on their myspace page), "this too shall pass"
    I don't think it will pass. Maybe die down a little, and eventually be used for a different market. I am sticking my guns with web services and community based markets.

I don't use it for personal stuff, but I think that if you are a business that ignores Facebook then you're a fool. The average person uses FB 7 hours per month (as opposed to 1.5 for Google). If you think about the number of people that DON'T use it, then there are a hell of a lot of us using it for WAY more than 7 hours. That is a LOT of advertising exposure.
    Facebook is the most used website in the world., with 1/4 of all US internet traffic being used by this single website.

The trouble is when people are on Facebook they are doing what they did once it was released, friends, chat, social interactions with real people, and now gaming which is doing pretty well. How many hours do you think those people sit and look ad Adds.

I've never looked at a FB add twice, unless it's got a cool picture. So for me, not all those hours are used with your adverts in there face.

Facebook is tryingt to beat out Google - but guess what? What if Google buys out myspace and works on it? It could happen seeing how Myspace is for sale now as well - but quite frankly, I see Google/Facebook dominating the internet for a while.
    I see Google competing against Apple in the mobile market and dominated the web browser area. Maybe even tapping on the OS market, before hitting Apple hard. I see Facebook getting into the email market, and embedding their applications around the web. That's me though. :P
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Facebook has already captured a big market OF internet specially the youth of the world in the very short period of time. Well Facebook can not be become an internet because till yet they are successful in the the limited industries.
    People don't found any valid information or verity in the field of engineering, historical instrument, civil organizations, etc.. on Facebook.
    Last edited by Black Max; Apr 23, 2011 at 08:55. Reason: removed fake signature

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fad, marketing let's just leave it FB there and nothing more.
    IT Rush <my blog

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think FB can't defeat google

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari_chris View Post
    I'm surprised Facebook haven't come up with their own "browser" yet.
    Good God, don't air that laundry... They'll start wearing it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm thinking of that too ^^

Last edited by spikeZ; Apr 25, 2011 at 10:48. Reason: removed fake sigs

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook replacing the Internet is a tall order. Internet is multifarious. Internet is multipurpose. Internet is not just websites. Asking if facebook could replace internet would only be engaging in a futile wishful thinking.
    But what about just websites?

So far small businesses have been using websites to provide their customers information about their products and services. We are not talking about big companies with complex websites and a lot of interactivity. We are talking about small businesses with a bunch of content pages. The only kind of interactivity they offer perhaps is in the form of a humble 'contact us' page. These website are nothing but glorified company brochures.

With the advent of Facebook Pages, can small business owners do away with their stand-alone websites and switch to Facebook Pages? I think they can as long as:
    • A large number of their customers are also in facebook. Businesses flocked to the web in 90s because their customers were on the web. Business will flock to FB if their customers are in FB
    • Facebook pages allow them to do most of the things that a stand-alone website does (FB doesn't do it now but it won't be hard for them to add this feature).
    • It's easier, faster, and cheaper for them to set up a Facebook Pages (Again, FB can do this).
    • If you have a website, only Google is the source of new traffic. If you have a facebook page, both Google and facebook are source of traffic. And FB is too big to be ignored.
    • Facebook Page allows you to have social and viral aspect that comes with having a presence on a social network. Websites are sorely lacking on this one. When a friend of mine likes the facebook page of a product or service, I am promptly notified about it. When a friend of mine goes to a website and loves a product, I do not know it.

It's all speculations at the end but some speculations have better odds than the others.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is a leader on Internet and I think it will be in the future. because Google has so many features as adwords, adsense, google for business, documents, forums, ..... and much more it can not be explain here and all have the huge power. if we talk about google and facebook ads. then what is it? in facebook you can target your ads to specific location, education, and thats it but the system in google is defferent from that. google detect what the specific user searches arround the days and read cookies and display ads so thats why google always have high CTR from others.

Best Regards!
    A niche Blog about Blogger, SEO, Facebook, Social Media
    Blogger Tips and Tricks | SEO Tips and Tricks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, how else could the valuations stay where they are and continue growing?

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Kailash Badu

I don't think it's speculation, I know of more Cypriot based companies that have a FB page rather than a company website. It's becoming the norm here.

There is a reward in having a facebook page, but I feel it's equally important to have a website. Without this then you're locking yourself onto a Facebook community, which like all communities is uncertain, whereas search engines are here to stay. But if the worse comes to the worse they can always develop a company website.

Facebook will always be preferred particularly in smaller markets.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its something like a boom of facebook, and i think it gona explode if not manged well. but its useful nowadays.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook is used by majority of the folks now a days

There is lots of difference between searching from entire web and searching in its network.

So i don't think FB can turn into browser.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good question that is to be asked. Well, in my opinion its really difficult to build a new Search Engine better than google. We are getting the exact results from google and that is the main reason for for google's popularity. If anyone who want to beat google, then they have too work really hard with new ideas and technologies, I don't think there is no new improvement that can be made on a new search.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook is that one name everyone gets excited about and this is what attracting companies to advertise themselves for a good clientèle.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook is consider as top 1 social media nowadays, but I think to become search engine like google is too far compare of top the top3 SE we are using now..