SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with you, Rudy, that FB needs lots of improvement if it wants to become the internet. Not sure if they want to. It is incredibly successful without becoming the internet. But I guess there would be so much more money if they were... I don't particularly like facebook although I do enjoy one or two games and, of course, getting to know how things go to people that I don't talk to everyday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I agree with you, Rudy, that FB needs lots of improvement if it wants to become the internet. Not sure if they want to. It is incredibly successful without becoming the internet. But I guess there would be so much more money if they were... I don't particularly like facebook although I do enjoy one or two games and, of course, getting to know how things go to people that I don't talk to everyday.
    Like what improvements? I know they have a lot of problems with spammed links - profile viewer and things like that.
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook, is no wonder the most popular social media site. When it comes to being an SE,I guess it's far from what they want. Though being one,wouldn't be impossible!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook is consider as top 1 social media nowadays, but I think to become search engine like google is too far compare of top the top3 SE we are using now..

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    facebook is already a primary route to the wider 'internet' for most people and does nothing different from other mediums before it, .. even back to ye-old days of directories. It cannot become THE INTERNET, but a building block of the sociality of it all, certainly that's proven already? Control over the personal data collected via social media usage is the real hot potato....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facebook - The end of Websites?

I saw a group of youngsters discussing about how one of them was going to open a Super-Market.
    It caught my attention when one of the guy said " To Promote a Business. you don't need a Website anymore, all you need is a Facebook".
    This thing got me thinking about "The End of Websites". Do you guys think that facebook is the end of websites ?
    Thanks.
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin
    Softaculous Virtualizor - The Next Generation VPS Panel
    Softaculous AMPPS - WAMP Stack with Perl and Python

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by softaculous View Post
    I saw a group of youngsters discussing about how one of them was going to open a Super-Market.
    It caught my attention when one of the guy said " To Promote a Business. you don't need a Website anymore, all you need is a Facebook".
    This thing got me thinking about "The End of Websites". Do you guys think that facebook is the end of websites ?
    Thanks.
    Merged two similar threads into one...
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll tell you what I think... Facebook is becoming AOL from 1999.

They'll slowly add features and bloat to the user experience, trying to be everything to everyone, until the concept of "Facebook" becomes overwhelming to the average user, and the top-heavy behemoth capsizes a la Vasa. This is the way of business when intricately tied into human culture. The only thing that might save them is the Connect API, which could artificially support them on the coat tails of other smaller websites, similarly to how the US dollar is supported by China et al. Of course, the long term play on that is acceptance of a lower level of symbiotic integration into the world landscape (possibly a #2 spot).

If this all goes down, though, there will be a period between FB's IPO and topple, when you'll be able to make a killing on the stock (every new feature they announce will be a new high)... and once they topple, you should have a sticky downward, which will be an amazing short opportunity with a decent time period where you can spot the avalanche ahead of time and ride the wave all the way down! Steve's stock pick of the day lol.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In its current guise, Facebook isn't going to take over from real websites as a business' online presence. Facebook offers very limited content, customisability or functionality for pages, and for anything beyond the most trivial of companies, that isn't going to be enough for them to effectively market themselves.

A savvy business, particularly one targeting a younger audience, will have a website, a Facebook page, a Twit feed ... and will use them all differently, finding the strengths of each one. It does seem that there are a lot of businesses jumping on the Facebook bandwagon just because it's a bandwagon, without really having the faintest idea what they want to achieve or how being on FB will help them.

Maybe that will change. Maybe Facebook will develop proper mini-sites where business have more control over the content, structure and presentation. Maybe Facebook will fall from grace. Whatever happens, as more and more of the world goes online, I don't see 'proper' websites dying out any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Whatever happens, as more and more of the world goes online, I don't see 'proper' websites dying out any time soon.
    Me either. If facebook will really kill the use of "proper" websites then it should have already happened years ago. Companies venture on facebook of course because its where they can get a lot of people to know they exist, that they have a web presence but on their fb pages you can see links to their site, don't you? and it's always been the case.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook will destroy many sites but not the hole internet, it will be cool for 2 or 3 years after that.......how many pictures can u add...... everybody will grow tired of that stupidity

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    Maybe, because there's a lot of people or considered as consumer as well who uses facebook, that's why many business minded uses this website to promote their businesses online.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notcathy View Post
    Maybe, because there's a lot of people or considered as consumer as well who uses facebook, that's why many business minded uses this website to promote their businesses online.
    Ya but don't you think because of facebook, people promote their business only through facebook. And slowly people are now least interested in making his/her own websites.
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin
    Softaculous Virtualizor - The Next Generation VPS Panel
    Softaculous AMPPS - WAMP Stack with Perl and Python

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardcosbyson View Post
    Me either. If facebook will really kill the use of "proper" websites then it should have already happened years ago. Companies venture on facebook of course because its where they can get a lot of people to know they exist, that they have a web presence but on their fb pages you can see links to their site, don't you? and it's always been the case.
    It can't have happened years ago... it can't happen today. It can only happen when Facebook increases the amount of tools available to business pages (including more powerful search) that will make "proper websites" an obsolete. unnecessary expense for most.

That day will come... Facebook is not decreasing the amount of tools they provide to the world. It's only a matter of time before they introduce a more powerful search bar for business, more powerful business pages with increased functionality, e-commerce for business pages (FB Commerce?), possibly a paypal competitor for FB Commerce (FB Pay?), and on, and on, and on, until it all becomes too overwhelming and the world must decide to either become mindless FB Minions or collectively move on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya but don't you think because of facebook, people promote their business only through facebook. And slowly people are now least interested in making his/her own websites.
    Yeah you are right, nowadays, some people are now least interested to make their own websites. But, you also think of this, why people make a websites? because they have a business to promote right? So, in my opinion why they bother making a websites if they have an option and that is facebook.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you miss a point that everything that is on Facebook is owned by Facebook. No serious business will give up exclusive rights to their online presence to another company. This model doesn't even make sense.

And they never had this model - the fan page registration page is plain and simple, and assumes I even understand what they're offering. If they're trying to make people use this instead of creating real websites, they're doing a terrible job at it.

Compare that to their advertising and developer pages and their priorities become very clear: gain exposure by offering web developers tools to integrate on their existing websites and sell the eye balls to advertisers. That's their model.

Getting people to use FB is not becoming the Internet. Getting developers to use FB tools for their websites is not becoming the Internet. Getting businesses to use FB to connect to their customers and prospects is not becoming the Internet.

The smart thing to do would be to continue focusing on what is working. The stupid thing to do would be trying to become the Internet. Unless FB is run by two mice.
    Saul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Businesses wouldn't trade their business website for a FB site. They only use the FB for exposure purpose.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Some of you miss a point that everything that is on Facebook is owned by Facebook. No serious business will give up exclusive rights to their online presence to another company. This model doesn't even make sense.
    For a free website, many businesses would give up their copyrights to the content they post. Regarding e-commerce or other more complex web technologies... if Facebook goes that route, you can be sure they would revise their T&C to reflect the proper terms a business would expect from such a relationship.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just copyrights to the content, it's about the ownership and control. Having another company being able to shut you down at their whim is not good business sense.

Free hosts exist but there's a reason why no serious business would use one. I don't see why that would change with Facebook if they offered something like that.
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    It's not just copyrights to the content, it's about the ownership and control. Having another company being able to shut you down at their whim is not good business sense.

Free hosts exist but there's a reason why no serious business would use one. I don't see why that would change with Facebook if they offered something like that.
    I couldn't agree more. However, IF it will "really" happen - that facebook will try to make pages more personalized for e-commerce use then I think only business owners with no experience on building or running websites for their business (online or offline) will buy for that. Consider it my stupid theory for this subject.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also don't use facebook for advertising. I think it is only better for communication and connections. Google still has the best advertising mechanisms.
    $1.69/month Unlimited Web Hosting
    Unlimited space, bandwidth. FREE 30-day Trial
    FREE Blog Setup

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not FB that's trying to become the internet, but Wikipedia.
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

SitePoint Enthusiast Chronister's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are already seeing Facebook compete with Google ads and now Google has responded with Google Plus One. I think that Facebook more then Microsoft is a bigger threat to Google.
    Freelance Machine | Accelerated Freelance
    Freelance Jobs | Spokane Marketing Spokane SEO

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook, Wikipedia, Google, YouTube, Amazon, and Twitter are unique services with little overlap.

I don't think we'll see any of them replace the others in the near future.

What we'll see is them competing in other spaces that aren't well established yet (e.g. the Coupon space, which Google, Facebook, and Amazon have all gone after recently),

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook will die; just give it time. It will go the way Geocities went, etc.

For me, few things are more unprofessional then when I see some multimillion dollar well-known company end a commercial with "Follow us on Twitter" or "Friend us on Facebook". Excuse my "French", but that makes them sound like whiny little *****es.

The mass majority of people I've met have no concept of what the internet is. At our office environment, when you tell ANYONE to open ANY file, they open Microsoft Word and THEN try to do a FILE > OPEN on the file they want.

It doesn't matter if people don't comprehend the technology. If they can muster a way through it and find some semblance of success, they will continue to use the exact same process over and over. The worst comes from people who don't want to learn the right process when someone offers to show them.