SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Creating Stored Procedures in MySQL

I just finished reading your reply regarding creation of stored procedures via phpMYAdmin (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/mysq...ql-713436.html). I gathered that you don't care for phpMyAdmin as a front-end tool since it like so many other front-end tools puts "training wheels" on SQL.

Is there any front-end app that you do consider worth while, or do you prefer that all SQL be created in a straight-forward text editor like NotePad ?

Ps: I just tried creating a stored procedure in Navicat using its Function tool, but it too hid too much of the SQL and then generated MySQL errors in lines it created!
    Last edited by ralph.m; Apr 6, 2011 at 17:25. Reason: removed email address

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    presumably you meant me? because i was the only one who replied in that thread

i much prefer HeidiSQL, but i have not yet used it for stored procedures, mainly because i do everything in sql queries, and i don't have to support a big app, which is where stored procedures are mostly used
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If your on a mac check out Sequel Pro. I used Workbench for quit a while but the new version has always been buggy it seems especially on a mac. I've been using Sequel Pro on my mac for a few months now and am glad I switched. I have also used HeidiSQL and didn't really like it that much in comparision to the alternatives. That is personal preference though of course. I do use workbench though on my PC at work because its not anywhere near as buggy as the mac version.

I normally write queries in a text editor than copy and paste them into those programs to run. Its rare that I will write intermediate - complex logic directly in the desktop app. I haven't had the need to use stored procedures but I imagine I would do the same thing, just like writing a trigger.
    The only code I hate more than my own is everyone else's.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

thanks very much Oddz and r937 for the tips. I didn't know about HeidiSQL and alas, I am using a PC but will also try the good old WorkBench.

This is my first attempt at creating a stored procedure. I want to copy updates from one table to insert into another table on a weekly basis. We'll see how that goes. Thank you both again for your tips!
    najrellim