User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[LAYOUT] Design for Holiday Park

I was asked to design a website for a relative of mine, who works at a holiday park, and even though I don't have a lot of experience in web design, I took the offer.

So far, I came up with a design, but I'm still quite unsure of it. I'm sure about the structure (so the flashbanner + 2x3 columns), but not the part with the red background. Even though they asked for all this space on the front page, maybe one of you has better ideas how to organize it.

Furthermore, I'm afraid that the current layout is too business-like. Families with children need to be attracted by it aswell, and right now it's just a bit too strict in my opinion, but I don't know how to fix it.

Any other general ideas/critiques/suggestions are very welcome!

Screenshot
    ARTR.nl - Dutch Digital Artcommunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like a tone of content that they need to put on the front page.

I would recommend getting rid of the red boxes and putting the article name and a short sentence of what the article is about. Seperating the articles with a sort of gray line that doesn't stretch the full length of the box that the article titles+short description are in.

Or

Ign.com has a similar type of "top story navigation" bar on its site and you could try something more similar to that.(Article name over thumbnail image under the image bar with a short summery of the article on the side of the picture)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with mike-z, a little intro with the rotational banner is a good idea. I guess we have to be strategic about the front page. But there is only so much that you can include.

This is why I suggest you include a search box. This way your visitors will be prompted to search for whatever they are looking for, and your boss won't feel like he has to jam EVERYTHING in the front page.

Plus, with the search statistics you guys will get an idea of what are your visitors looking for, and perhaps this will give better select what to place front page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search box is a great idea.

About the photo - you want families with children to be attracted by it, it looks like a website for lovers who look for romantic places... I think you should use more photos and relevent ones.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make your links little closer to box. provide 5 to 6 links about site at top and there is so many boxes at bottom provide a nice footer. if you have so much content then provide a search box at top.

SitePoint Enthusiast drownedbeaver's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its for a park? I think you are missing some element.

If I will going to a park what does the park can offer to me?

I believe you have the idea of the layout but the total content of the website that's what your missing.
    at least have an address, or have some map...... reservations maybe?

I think its like wordpress.com with a lot of blogs.

Take the shoes of your target visitor and what are you looking for if you are looking at a park website.