SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful website! The functionality is spot on and I enjoyed visiting. I will plan on recommending to others!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XmINiX View Post
    Beautiful website! The functionality is spot on and I enjoyed visiting. I will plan on recommending to others!

Thank you!

I am glad you enjoyed it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the service you are providing is excellent, i suggest you to have advanced chat on your server.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicbox View Post
    the service you are providing is excellent, i suggest you to have advanced chat on your server.
    I agree! Any recommendations? Might do it for my group chat.

SitePoint Enthusiast purple skunk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha...people love watching people. Good idea. Nice layout. I'm using Chrome but most times the cameras take a little while to load. Not sure why or if it's a network issue on my end but maybe you can look into that.
    Also, you said they don't work in IE? I would look into trying to get that working since quite a number of people still use IE...as in the majority of web users I think.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Skunk,

Yes it still doesn't work in IE9. If you have any idea's how to fix it I would be glad to hear!!! But thanks for the feedback

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a pretty cool idea you've got here, and it looks like you've implemented some of the suggestions since your first post. I would still recommend a couple of things. It might be a good idea to have a solid navigation somewhere, so users can always go from cams to wall to home, from the same place on every page. I would also recommend making the "start here" link into a fully designed button and make it larger, to make it more obvious where users should go first. Also, it might be a good idea to have a list of all the cams where you can click on one to preview it, instead of loading them all at once. That could help performance dramatically and also have a cleaner look, but I'm not sure how much javascript work you do. Anyway, always keep rethinking and improving! Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an EPIC idea. Your website made me really happy

A few suggestions:

You should probably put your Google+ and Facebook stuff in one spot instead of separating them.

You should keep your nav bars consistent throughout the site -- I don't have an easy way of returning to the homepage while watching a camera.

Also, the 'random camera' button is way too big -- I think either you should either make the text in it larger, or make the button itself smaller.

Throughout the website, you have slight misalignment issues (at least for me (using Firefox 5)) -- consider going through it carefully and fixing the layout? For example, the cameras in the wall are sort of huddling towards the left instead of being in the middle, and the section where you get to choose another camera needs to be centered in the screen.

Finally, you need to work on consistency -- the nav bar keeps changing as I move from one section of the site to another, the facebook/google+/social stuff are in different places, and the blog needs to be tweaked to resemble the rest of the website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great tool but some cams does not loading. I am using Ubuntu 11 with Chrome.

But site has a point I think and it would be great if you make it stable.

By the way you definitely need a new page design
    --
    Harun Baris Bulut
    CEO @ H2B Internet Tech.
    http://h2b.com.tr

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deflect View Post
    This is an EPIC idea. Your website made me really happy

A few suggestions:

You should probably put your Google+ and Facebook stuff in one spot instead of separating them.

You should keep your nav bars consistent throughout the site -- I don't have an easy way of returning to the homepage while watching a camera.

Also, the 'random camera' button is way too big -- I think either you should either make the text in it larger, or make the button itself smaller.

Throughout the website, you have slight misalignment issues (at least for me (using Firefox 5)) -- consider going through it carefully and fixing the layout? For example, the cameras in the wall are sort of huddling towards the left instead of being in the middle, and the section where you get to choose another camera needs to be centered in the screen.

Finally, you need to work on consistency -- the nav bar keeps changing as I move from one section of the site to another, the facebook/google+/social stuff are in different places, and the blog needs to be tweaked to resemble the rest of the website.
    Hi thanks for the feedback.

Moved the +1 button next to the Facebook button thanks.

I agree about the navigation. I set up the page without a header file as a result changing this will mean changing 300+ webcams. I will get around to it eventually. The layout also needs work as you suggested. Planning a whole revamp maybe next month.

The blog is only been up about 2 weeks so that will take sometime to resemble the rest. I want to kind of make this separate to the rest of the site.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakari View Post
    This is a great tool but some cams does not loading. I am using Ubuntu 11 with Chrome.

But site has a point I think and it would be great if you make it stable.

By the way you definitely need a new page design
    Yes unfortunately some camera's are turned off at times need to look into this at a later date maybe add a "Camera Offline" image.

New design probably will come over the next few months. Stay tuned

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had a very nice idea with this site.
    What I found to be nice to have about it:
    - a list all the cameras in order the user to be able to select whatever he finds more interesting. I've seen that you have a sitemap but a more organized one (e.g. on countries) would be better.
    - a back button from the camera page would be useful as well (from camera page I couldn't get back using the site elements)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by l_monic View Post
    You had a very nice idea with this site.
    What I found to be nice to have about it:
    - a list all the cameras in order the user to be able to select whatever he finds more interesting. I've seen that you have a sitemap but a more organized one (e.g. on countries) would be better.
    - a back button from the camera page would be useful as well (from camera page I couldn't get back using the site elements)
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I will be working on adding a better sitemap at a later date when I have a more comprehensive collection of webcam's

Not sure if you saw but there is actually a "next camera" and a "go back" on each camera
    Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer9999 View Post
    Hello All,

Said id share a link to my brand new site that I developed, its Watch This Cam - Chat and watch the world basically its a fun way to watch the world and chat with other people.

The website is live feeds from camera's around the world. e.g shop cams, beach cams.

Trying to spread the word get people on it e.t.c who knows maybe even some day make some money of it.

So please Check it OUT! and of course share it through what ever social mediums you have access to.

Just a note the camera's dont work in Internet Explorer so please use either firefox or chrome if you are checking it out! Thanks all!

Please leave a note with any questions, feedback etc
    Very cool - That whole IE issue is kind of a pan for us IE users. Congrads on the huge traffic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer9999 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I will be working on adding a better sitemap at a later date when I have a more comprehensive collection of webcam's

Not sure if you saw but there is actually a "next camera" and a "go back" on each camera
    Thanks
    I saw the "next camera", "go back" and "random camera" but what I meant in fact is a "back to the main page" in other words "back to http://www.watchthiscam.com/"
    I would also rename the existent "go back" to "previous camera" and "go back" to mean go back to the main page.
    I hope it makes sense now
    have a nice day!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done on the clean look that you have attained. The concept of itself is brilliant and quite helpful in knowing what's going on in other parts of the world. The color scheme consistency is good as it keeps a flow going from page to page.

What I would like to see?
    For one, you should always have a visible home button preferrably located to the top of your page. I clicked to visit a camera and then I clicked a couple times on the random camera button. I then decided that I wanted to inspect your homepage and click to Go Back and it took me back one page. A visible clickable link or house image/ button would be appreciated. The tiny link at the bottom of the page is not appealing at all. It took me a good many minutes to actually spot it.

The Random Camera Button could probably by tinted a dark blue with a hover over effect of the light blue that you have and not that somewhat garish silver button that reminds me of a button on dialog boxes.

Nice Blog and It's great to see that you do have a privacy policy. It shows that you understand that people may try to harrass/attack you because of the nature of the website and you have employed fore thought in the site's setup. One tip I'd suggest is that whenever you mention the name of the site, you write it as in the title and if possible put quotes and or Bold the information. For example it should be like this "Watch the Cam".

You did not explain what that red tab to the right of the screen was for. I discovered that it was some type of members area. You should really state what that button is for.

Other than that ...nicely done. keep on going.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, i'm new to sitepoint and this is my first review. I'm not an expert of php or other stuffs required to create a website but i think to have same graphic skill.

I spend some time to view your website with google chrome and mozilla firefox and i don't see any format errors.

Dark layout in my opinion is good to relax eyes specially in the night surf sessions, i see more an more dark website and probably dark background will be the future !
    I don't like blue overlapping with dark but it's a personal taste.

Your logo is cool but probably could have more impact fitting all space of your header, there is too much empty space under logo.

Idea of webcams is good but you need to work to improve usability of site. First impact is a little dispersive. I don't find quickly how to access to cams and it's seems that cameras don't have a categorization or menu to choose one based on geolocation for example. I think geolocation category could be useful.

Overall quality is good. Best wishes for the future !

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yogohard View Post
    Hi, i'm new to sitepoint and this is my first review. I'm not an expert of php or other stuffs required to create a website but i think to have same graphic skill.

I spend some time to view your website with google chrome and mozilla firefox and i don't see any format errors.

Dark layout in my opinion is good to relax eyes specially in the night surf sessions, i see more an more dark website and probably dark background will be the future !
    I don't like blue overlapping with dark but it's a personal taste.

Your logo is cool but probably could have more impact fitting all space of your header, there is too much empty space under logo.

Idea of webcams is good but you need to work to improve usability of site. First impact is a little dispersive. I don't find quickly how to access to cams and it's seems that cameras don't have a categorization or menu to choose one based on geolocation for example. I think geolocation category could be useful.

Overall quality is good. Best wishes for the future !
    Hey there,

Thanks very much for the great review. Yes I agree I am going to add some sort of a carousel on the main page just under the logo. Seems the space is just to open.

I will eventually be adding more search options to the site. If I have country locations the only problem with it is I would only cover maybe 30 countries. I will add this when I have more camera's. Thanks for your feedback and I wish you luck in your internet ventures as well.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shawna-lynn View Post
    Nicely done on the clean look that you have attained. The concept of itself is brilliant and quite helpful in knowing what's going on in other parts of the world. The color scheme consistency is good as it keeps a flow going from page to page.

What I would like to see?
    For one, you should always have a visible home button preferrably located to the top of your page. I clicked to visit a camera and then I clicked a couple times on the random camera button. I then decided that I wanted to inspect your homepage and click to Go Back and it took me back one page. A visible clickable link or house image/ button would be appreciated. The tiny link at the bottom of the page is not appealing at all. It took me a good many minutes to actually spot it.

The Random Camera Button could probably by tinted a dark blue with a hover over effect of the light blue that you have and not that somewhat garish silver button that reminds me of a button on dialog boxes.

Nice Blog and It's great to see that you do have a privacy policy. It shows that you understand that people may try to harrass/attack you because of the nature of the website and you have employed fore thought in the site's setup. One tip I'd suggest is that whenever you mention the name of the site, you write it as in the title and if possible put quotes and or Bold the information. For example it should be like this "Watch the Cam".

You did not explain what that red tab to the right of the screen was for. I discovered that it was some type of members area. You should really state what that button is for.

Other than that ...nicely done. keep on going.
    Hi there. Yes sorry the red thing on the side displays how many users are online at one time. So if it says 3 then there are only 3 users online etc.

I will add "quotes" around my site name thanks for the advice!!!

I haven't had time to update the button as I will have to do this for 400 different pages. Will do it eventually. Thanks for the feedback.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by l_monic View Post
    I saw the "next camera", "go back" and "random camera" but what I meant in fact is a "back to the main page" in other words "back to http://www.watchthiscam.com/"
    I would also rename the existent "go back" to "previous camera" and "go back" to mean go back to the main page.
    I hope it makes sense now
    have a nice day!
    That does make sense great point Thank you! When I have time I will update them all along with a few other things.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just said I would post a quick update on my progress since the original thread was posted.
    I have changed the home page by adding relevant links to relevant pages. I have started a blog, which has been quite successful. I have been posting mainly about the weather i.e Hurricane Katrina etc I have gone from maybe 50-100 hits a day to 100 - 500 depending on blog posts, website updates. I still have yet to find a solution to Internet Explorer issue. If anyone has any I would be glad to hear!!!

I also am going to change the buttons eg the next camera and previous camera. Just takes a bit of time to do.
    I have been making a lot more money recently from Google ads, affiliates and my mailing list hope this will continue to grow.

Apart from that I am quite stumped as where to go from here. I don't want to add to many more camera's yet and I am running out of things to blog about lol. So if anyone has any new ideas I am welcome to hearing them.

Thanks all
    Watch This Cam - Random Web cams From Around The World

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clicked "watch random cam" and it seems to take forever to load. I'm using Safari on a mac. I do like your concept, though.

EDIT: It's been about a minute now, and it still is not loading...

I'll try it on firefox and see if it works better.

EDIT: alright I'm back to add more again. I opened it in firefox and it didn't load there either. Maybe your website doesn't like macs? Ideally it should be compatible with as many different browsers and operating systems as possible.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, That is one option I need to change. When a camera is not on then it will not load and no default image comes up.

Its something I didn't think about when I was making the pages. It works in all mac browsers believe me i have tested it. If a camera is not working simply click next camera or random camera The only browser this doesn't work on is IE
    Watch This Cam - Random Web cams From Around The World

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh ok. I didn't see an explanation on the website. Does it explain that somewhere? Did I miss it? If it's already there, find a way to make it more prominent and easy to see so viewers don't miss it, get confused when the videos don't show up, and then leave.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a twitter page I can follow you on?