SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 97

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up My Brand New Website from a 24 year old, entrepreneur

    Hello All,

    Said id share a link to my brand new site that I developed, its Watch This Cam - Chat and watch the world basically its a fun way to watch the world and chat with other people.

    The website is live feeds from camera's around the world. e.g shop cams, beach cams.

    Trying to spread the word get people on it e.t.c who knows maybe even some day make some money of it.

    So please Check it OUT! and of course share it through what ever social mediums you have access to.

    Just a note the camera's dont work in Internet Explorer so please use either firefox or chrome if you are checking it out! Thanks all!

    Please leave a note with any questions, feedback etc

  2. #2
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to let people know had 53000 page views in 2 weeks... ! I know its good.. but anyone got an idea of how much ud get from advertising if I had advertising

  3. #3
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great concept and I love the clean and professional look of your site. Nicely done! I love how you can just click on the button to view the Next Random Cam.

    You should also add like a Browse functionality or categories or something of that nature.

    All the best!
    HolyInsomniac
    HateForFree | The Only Social Network for The Haters!
    www.HateForFree.com

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, one more thing....you should also add functionality if possible to Add a cam to your favorites. But then again, you will need to have the ability to have user accounts and members who can add their favorite cams to their account or whatever.

    Another possible cool idea would be to have Multiple cam viewing on 1 screen, e.g. I would like to watch 6 cams on my screen at the same time. hehehe would that be possible?

    Just throwing out some ideas, its a very nice concept. Love it!
    HolyInsomniac
    HateForFree | The Only Social Network for The Haters!
    www.HateForFree.com

  5. #5
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by holyinsomniac View Post
    Oh yeah, one more thing....you should also add functionality if possible to Add a cam to your favorites. But then again, you will need to have the ability to have user accounts and members who can add their favorite cams to their account or whatever.

    Another possible cool idea would be to have Multiple cam viewing on 1 screen, e.g. I would like to watch 6 cams on my screen at the same time. hehehe would that be possible?

    Just throwing out some ideas, its a very nice concept. Love it!
    Yea I was thinking about this .. only thing with user accounts is it makes the whole site a lot more complicated lol... To be honest i think if i add the browse function.. I think that it would make the site boring.. okay well not boring but.. I think people these days want click and go!

    Rather than say looking through country etc.... I might actually stay away from this ...

    My main new ideas for the site are Top 100 cams, Arrange by week month year..

    Also a "buzz" button.. that buzzes a cam to the wall.. the URL.. it would be like a separate tab.. so it would make more, user connections. See if I go with the browse option, it means its just like any other cam site out there. Which there is only about 2 really

    I think I need more unique cams.. ones that people will find interesting...

    At lease there is a lot more I can do with the site.. at the moment there is only about 250 cams.. so regular users would get bored quite easy.. as they would come across the same cam over and over again.. me personally this would annoy me .. so I can only imagine what others think

    Okay enough typing Thanks though

  6. #6
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer9999 View Post
    Just to let people know had 53000 page views in 2 weeks... ! I know its good.. but anyone got an idea of how much ud get from advertising if I had advertising
    Me and my friends have a picture site, we get daily visitors round about 3000 to 4000, honestly we are make little amount from ads but as visitor increase we will make more and more money. I think you should start advertising program as soon as possible....

  7. #7
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I agree with most here, interesting idea, although the camera page is quite unprofessional in comparison to the home page.

    Also, I think sound makes things alot more interesting - it could get very boring without this.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonz View Post
    Yeah I agree with most here, interesting idea, although the camera page is quite unprofessional in comparison to the home page.

    Also, I think sound makes things alot more interesting - it could get very boring without this.

    Sound, I agree. Sound would make it very interesting. But dont think any camera's have sound. Well the ones I have on my site anyway.

    Will keep an eye out

  9. #9
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by palmer9999 View Post
    Just to let people know had 53000 page views in 2 weeks... ! I know its good.. but anyone got an idea of how much ud get from advertising if I had advertising
    This is impressive! I'm wondering if you can share how you did it. I am in a similar boat, just launched a "one-man" project - <snip/> and I'm trying to figure out how to generate interest and visits.

    But that's another topic... I know...

    Initial observations about YOUR site:

    - The logo has a speech bubble over "cam"... why not a video icon since there's no speech going on? Maybe you're referring to the discussion feature.
    - Click here to start button should be a graphic, and the biggest, flashiest thing on the page. It should say something like "click here to watch a random cam" instead of "click here to start"
    - Once I'm actually in the site, I love it. It's really simple and easy to use. zero thought required
    - I keep going back to my thoughts on the home page though... I think you could do better there. The person by the tree with the rainbow just isn't saying anything about what you site is about.

    Overall... very cool concept. Nice work!
    Last edited by Mittineague; Jun 1, 2011 at 16:02. Reason: removing unnecessary link

  10. #10
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfkouba View Post
    This is impressive! I'm wondering if you can share how you did it. I am in a similar boat, just launched a "one-man" project - <snip/> and I'm trying to figure out how to generate interest and visits.

    But that's another topic... I know...

    Initial observations about YOUR site:

    - The logo has a speech bubble over "cam"... why not a video icon since there's no speech going on? Maybe you're referring to the discussion feature.
    - Click here to start button should be a graphic, and the biggest, flashiest thing on the page. It should say something like "click here to watch a random cam" instead of "click here to start"
    - Once I'm actually in the site, I love it. It's really simple and easy to use. zero thought required
    - I keep going back to my thoughts on the home page though... I think you could do better there. The person by the tree with the rainbow just isn't saying anything about what you site is about.

    Overall... very cool concept. Nice work!
    Thanks some great feedback there. Well I posted in quite a lot of forum's and got some great feedback from people like you. .

    You will notice on the site that I have changed the homepage "Click here to start" to an actual live cam Might do this for the rest of the buttons but it brings with it a whole host of problems.

    Thanks the site does need some modifications and a bit of work, it should get more interesting as I add stuff to it and get quite a good following of people.

    The rainbow I actual removed it and replaced it with an image but it just didn't look very good. I might look to changing it but for the moment I am going to leave it as I think people might recognize it as a "brand" well something like it.

    Anyways thanks again for the feedback will take it all on board.

  11. #11
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concept is rather entertaining, but I'd say before it can get popular some things might need looking at.

    The first is that there are no categories, and there is no formal listing of the cams.

    The second is, whilst the home page seems nice enough, the design on the cam pages is very plain, has nothing in common with the home page etc. I recommend revamping the design of the cam pages.

    The third is that you need an area of contact between you and your users. Some kind of update/news page just to let people know whats going on, what the plans are etc. Also run a few surveys using one of the many surveying websites out there to ask your users about how they would rate the site, how they would change it etc.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  12. #12
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another point is that you mentioned you're an entrepreneur. How are you planning to make money off this website?

    I can't see any advertising on there, so I'm guessing you're going for a sale in the future. In that case a user-system is pretty much essential. People who buy websites are going to be looking for websites with potential to either make money, or reach out to their user-base (to eventually make money).
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  13. #13
    Non-Member ulancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The second is, whilst the home page seems nice enough, the design on the cam pages is very plain, has nothing in common with the home page etc. I recommend revamping the design of the cam pages.

    The third is that you need an area of contact between you and your users. Some kind of update/news page just to let people know whats going on, what the plans are etc. Also run a few surveys using one of the many surveying websites out there to ask your users about how they would rate the site, how they would change it etc."

    I just want to add to this, you need to work more on making the cam more elegant as the site.

    Thanks Ulancer.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Member Jako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the main page of your website with the image and rainbow. It's definitely clean on the eyes and looks well put together.

    Have you thought of adding some design elements to the camera pages? They are a bit bare looking with just the video feed and the chat box.
    Soccer Surfer | Top 10 Soccer Players

  15. #15
    Web Developer stickycarrots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Illinois State University
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks fine, but the page where you can watch the camera is pretty plain.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickycarrots View Post
    The site looks fine, but the page where you can watch the camera is pretty plain.
    Thanks all, some great feedback. Yes I agree the actual cam part is quite plain, My main focus really was just adding as much cams as possible so that people wouldnt get bored. From seeing the same camera's over and over again.

    But yes I am going to revamp the Cam page as well as adding a new group chat feature. I'm going to have a similar layout as on the main page. So as to have it nice and constant throughout the website.

    If I start advertising straight away what would you guys recommend as the best advertising tool?

    Got quite a lot work to do in terms of layout etc but thanks for the advice all.

  17. #17
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by palmer9999 View Post
    Thanks all, some great feedback. Yes I agree the actual cam part is quite plain, My main focus really was just adding as much cams as possible so that people wouldnt get bored. From seeing the same camera's over and over again.

    But yes I am going to revamp the Cam page as well as adding a new group chat feature. I'm going to have a similar layout as on the main page. So as to have it nice and constant throughout the website.

    If I start advertising straight away what would you guys recommend as the best advertising tool?

    Got quite a lot work to do in terms of layout etc but thanks for the advice all.
    Well, you are in right track, I think it is a great concept and you will be successful.

    As many will tell you, google is first among ads but you can also try smowtion or clicksor but as a tip you should consider having more text on every page when you decide to place ads on you website so it get the right context.

    Good job!!

    Regards,

  18. #18
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slukad View Post
    Well, you are in right track, I think it is a great concept and you will be successful.

    As many will tell you, google is first among ads but you can also try smowtion or clicksor but as a tip you should consider having more text on every page when you decide to place ads on you website so it get the right context.

    Good job!!

    Regards,
    Thanks! Yes, I am in no rush really for ads, as the site is only costing me about 10 Euro a year. Plus maybe 5 per month for hosting. But thats unlimited sites on my hosting account

  19. #19
    SitePoint Addict trican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    someplace
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is not currently loading for me?
    Free Image Editing Webapp, includes
    easy to use creative transformations to
    enrich your digital photographs @www.PureRGB.com

  20. #20
    Community Advisor ULTiMATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the design on the main page. The dark theme with the rainbow seems to work quite well. The biggest criticism I can offer outside of that already offered here is that the plain button breaks the aesthetic of the page, and that you should redesign the large button to fit in with the main graphic.

  21. #21
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    I really like the design on the main page. The dark theme with the rainbow seems to work quite well. The biggest criticism I can offer outside of that already offered here is that the plain button breaks the aesthetic of the page, and that you should redesign the large button to fit in with the main graphic.
    Great idea! Didn't even think about the button. Thanks

  22. #22
    Non-Member buzzerchat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent idea for watching live cam online. I must say you must put requirements to watch cam online it will be good for everyone.

  23. #23
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trican View Post
    i tried again and it's still not loading. I'm using the latest version of Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzerchat View Post
    excellent idea for watching live cam online. I must say you must put requirements to watch cam online it will be good for everyone.
    Trican, no idea why its not working, I never had any issues with anyone using chrome. Maybe try firefox, if that doesnt work are you using an old computer? Maybe flash is not installed

    Buzzer, what do you mean put requirements?

  24. #24
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with someone else. The homepage is looking brilliant. But when I click on watch a camera it looks as if its messed up. I'd use the homepage design there as well. Makes the website feel more complete.

  25. #25
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanjo View Post
    Agreed with someone else. The homepage is looking brilliant. But when I click on watch a camera it looks as if its messed up. I'd use the homepage design there as well. Makes the website feel more complete.
    Yup its incomplete at the moment, but didnt want to take it offline. Updating it as we speak. Check out United Kingdom, Saltash Pig Cam Live! - Watch This Cam

    Thats the new layout, im just updating the other 290


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •