SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wireless accessibility

I'm writing an online calendar (PHP) with all the usual features, I want to add accessibility for mobile phones and PDA'S and can see that WML is my solution.

WML looks pretty straightforward to allow wireless access, but my question involves the 3G technology soon to explode over here currently massive in Japan. Does anyone know anything about it? I understand the operating systems are written in Java, but what I want to know is if WML will become redundant or not.

Basically I don't want to learn another technology to find it has no use in 12 months.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've never seen a G3 phone but they can play films so I dont see why they wouldnt have a web browser. This will probably make WML go bye bye

However that said WML in its basic form is simple and you would put little effort into learning it if you are already familiar.

If your site is accessed by others away from Japan I think it would be a good idea to use WML.

Of course if these G3 phones can read WML why would you create a page for them to access instead of letting them into your normal site page.

I've gona all over the place sorry

So all in all, WML is easy at first (WML script is when it gets tricky) and if you know HTML wml wont be hard to pick up at all!
    Back Again