SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Should I go by the HTML Validation Service?

Hello,
    I've been told its good to get your html validated by a Validation Service such as this one. The problem is it finds so many errors in my code - should I really be worried about this? The page displays fine in the browser and so don't really see the relevance of this test. Even sitepoint.com does not pass as a valid html translation and comes up with load of so called "errors"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are interested in coding to the standards (as opposed to coding to whatever will work in IE) then yes, you should use the validator. It is a lot easier than it looks to write valid code, and you'll probably find that once you've got a few pages to validate you will have learnt enough to start writing valid code straight off without even thinking about it. The biggest step is chosing your doctype (if you want to code XHTML I recommend XHTML Transitional, otherwise go with HTML 4 Transitional or HTML 4 Strict). More info on doctypes here: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/doctype/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Skunk - i could not agree more, i spend my time writing only validated code and attempt to encourage others to do the same - in fact on one of my main sites we have specific designers/coders/programmers/scripters listed that code to w3c validated standards and there is an accessibility area too and we encourage ALL to at least attempt to comply

Shortly i will be publishing a few tutorials to another site that i co-manage, again to try to get people to sit up and understand the basic idea behind the validation ethos

not everybody has the latest version of @nybroswer and not everybody can utilise the version to its fullest, therefore we have to code to accommodate these users

cheers

Wicksie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Wicksie
    ... not everybody has the latest version of @nybroswer and not everybody can utilise the version to its fullest, therefore we have to code to accommodate these users ...
    Keep in mind, however, that, for the most part, fully valid (X)HTML coding is nearly 100% backwards compatible.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind, however, that, for the most part, fully valid (X)HTML coding is nearly 100% backwards compatible

good point, and therefore one that can only add weight to the validation campaign

Wicksie