User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    If Kevin, Cameron Adams or Paul O B writes it I'll buy it.
    So if I write a book you wouldn't buy it? I'm sooo disappointed now

So good that I'm not writing any, eh'

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one become a SitePoint author? I've wanted to write a book for a long time, but not sure how to get published. Does SitePoint publish books from community members?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transio View Post
    How does one become a SitePoint author? I've wanted to write a book for a long time, but not sure how to get published. Does SitePoint publish books from community members?
    Do you have proof you can write and have experience in that field? I sure wouldn't hire you if you said you we're good, but can't back it up.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about book about books?

There are zillion technology books already written but it's hard to know what are the popular technology and what books are recommended.

So, I propose a book like "Road to being a Java Enterprise Programmer"
    Chapter 1. Java - do a simple hello world sample and point to recommended books
    Chapter 2. Servlets & JSP - do a simple sample and point to recommended books

Another book can be called "Road to being a Web Designer". At least this would be the kind of stuff I would read. Mostly to find out other popular technology I've missed.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go to the bottom of this page

Write For Us

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Go to the bottom of this page

Write For Us
    Really? You wont except .NET articles? Way to squash the .NET developers on the SP Forums. Yes, their are some of us. This is my favorite Forum, but your guys bias is showing full force...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USPaperchaser View Post
    Do you have proof you can write and have experience in that field? I sure wouldn't hire you if you said you we're good, but can't back it up.
    I would assume that submitting a book for review would be proof enough of one's ability to write a book.

And I assume, as with any first-time author's work, its quality would have to speak for itself!

As for my expertise, I would be a fool to write a book in a field in which I have no experience, right?

And while my CV doesn't read like Bill Gates', I think it'll do.

Molona, thanks for the link... I'll check it out!

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Really? You wont except .NET articles? Way to squash the .NET developers on the SP Forums. Yes, their are some of us. This is my favorite Forum, but your guys bias is showing full force...
    Where did you find that they don't accept .NET articles? The list on that page only states what kind of articles they are currently looking for, it does not say that they won't accept anything else. To be more specific, that page also states:

If you’ve got an idea for an article or a book we’d love to hear from you!
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScallioXTX View Post
    Where did you find that they don't accept .NET articles? The list on that page only states what kind of articles they are currently looking for, it does not say that they won't accept anything else. To be more specific, that page also states:
    Enlighten me, how many .NET articles have you seen lately? Or, how many employees are hired for .NET article writing? I know SP has had a .NET Guru in the past, then he just vanished, and never heard from again. As I said, I like SP, for the Forums only, and not the articles, which sucks, because it eliminates a group of people, you could also target.

Anyways, thanks for your time.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know SP has had a .NET Guru in the past, then he just vanished, and never heard from again.
    You mean Wyatt? wwb_99? Who's viewing the .net forum as I write this?

He stepped down from staff because he got very busy with real life. But he's here, and he's active.

If you've got ideas for .net articles, then please, by all means submit them. I'm guessing they'd jump at getting someone with interest writing articles for that topic.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I echo USPaperchaser's comments in that the .NET community could be better served on this website, although .NET tends to have some seriously strong communities within Microsoft's online communities and on sites like Stack Overflow.

Like many others on here I would firmly put myself in the "would love to write stuff, but don't know enough or have enough experience" section. Nevertheless, I may look into submitting an article or two now and again when something comes up at work that would be worth more people knowing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SP Admins, if I write a couple of .NET articles, and you approve the quality, would you post them on the website? Hell, I would do this for free. I think PHP developers should know their is an alternative to their chosen language, and why .NET is superior and offers more features then what they are using now.

You have nothing to lose, but .NET developers to gain. I tell you what, I will market SP's .NET content for free to other websites, to get the word out.

Just give me the green-light.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SP Admins, if I write a couple of .NET articles, and you approve the quality, would you post them on the website? Hell, I would do this for free. I think PHP developers should know their is an alternative to their chosen language, and why .NET is superior and offers more features then what they are using now.

You have nothing to lose, but .NET developers to gain. I tell you what, I will market SP's .NET content for free to other websites, to get the word out.

Just give me the green-light.
    The forum has nothing to do with SP or whoever looks after the articles but I am sure that they will publish them if they are of good quality.

Although you may think we do, we don't favour PHP in detriment of .NET. Some people like PHP better and .NET, some like .NET better than PHP. But many .NET lovers prefer to hang out in Microsoft's related forums. And it is natural, they have more info there and that info is of higher quality.

We are lucky enough to have Wyatt but he has a live too, you know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The forum has nothing to do with SP or whoever looks after the articles but I am sure that they will publish them if they are of good quality.

Although you may think we do, we don't favour PHP in detriment of .NET. Some people like PHP better and .NET, some like .NET better than PHP. But many .NET lovers prefer to hang out in Microsoft's related forums. And it is natural, they have more info there and that info is of higher quality.

We are lucky enough to have Wyatt but he has a live too, you know.
    Yeah, whatever makes you feel better, since you are an "advisor". I don't come to SP just for the .NET forum, but for all of the topics related to web design/development. So, do you suggest all members leave, and go to an industry-specific website? Such as .NET pandering websites? I just wish SP would be open-minded to all people, and not just a sub-set. And yes, SitePoint does favor PHP...

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, whatever makes you feel better, since you are an "advisor". I don't come to SP just for the .NET forum, but for all of the topics related to web design/development. So, do you suggest all members leave, and go to an industry-specific website? Such as .NET pandering websites? I just wish SP would be open-minded to all people, and not just a sub-set. And yes, SitePoint does favor PHP...
    That's not what I meant. There are members that use SPF but visit a specific .NET site to get .NET information because those forums are more active and have more information about .NET.

Regarding SP favoring PHP... I don't know if the HQ do. As I say, the forums are completely separate of SP. Our only relationship is our administrator who does work for HQ but we have never been told what to do. They don't interfere.

As staff members, we like all area of the forums to be highly active, filled with terrific debates and learning stuff. As a staff, .NET is as important as PHP or any other area of the forums such as Javascript, Flash, Facebook or, maybe in the future Adobe Air.

Now, in a personal note, of course we can have our personal preferences!

But the forum itself does not favor any area. It is the people who shows more interest in one area and makes the forum active.

I hope that this time is more clear.

Yet, if you want to discuss this further, we better do it in another thread. I've been drifting a bit too much from the goal of this thread which is getting new ideas for SP books

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not what I meant. There are members that use SPF but visit a specific .NET site to get .NET information because those forums are more active and have more information about .NET.

Regarding SP favoring PHP... I don't know if the HQ do. As I say, the forums are completely separate of SP. Our only relationship is our administrator who does work for HQ but we have never been told what to do. They don't interfere.

As staff members, we like all area of the forums to be highly active, filled with terrific debates and learning stuff. As a staff, .NET is as important as PHP or any other area of the forums such as Javascript, Flash, Facebook or, maybe in the future Adobe Air.

Now, in a personal note, of course we can have our personal preferences!

But the forum itself does not favor any area. It is the people who shows more interest in one area and makes the forum active.

I hope that this time is more clear.

Yet, if you want to discuss this further, we better do it in another thread. I've been drifting a bit too much from the goal of this thread which is getting new ideas for SP books
    Agreed.

My final book idea would actually involve hardware, with software. Try, build your own Development PC, that can handle Adobe CS5 and Visual Studio at the same time without lag. It can inform the web designer/developer to create their perfect development environment.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I say, the forums are completely separate of SP.
    I find it odd then, to ask a question about SP business in SPF.

Our only relationship is our administrator who does work for HQ but we have never been told what to do. They don't interfere.
    Why is then so much brown nosing around the SP liaison with the forums?
    I can almost smell a cult. As in behind the Iron Curtain cult. Those unfamiliar with those times and these terms, feel free to ask your fellow forum grandpas. Like me.

That's why I still stand behind my proposal: given the SPF long and rich history, a comparison between former and current forum staff, the challenges of maintaining a forum, the changes, and the power you have to control and dominate, rather than let it dominate you.

Also, I believe users, long time users, have unique insight as to what once was and how things evolve. Using SPF as a study case throughout time, could make history. It could became a classic, studied in schools.

Twitter, facebook, also, modern examples of "Your digital invested powers - abusing them means you don't have them".

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonnope View Post
    I don't know if you noticed but sometimes we don't know the answer

Brown means a SP author, either because they wrote a book or articles.

SP staff use black badges

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure you've understood. Google "brown nosing".

You are SP stuff? Or SPF staff? The question is asked in behalf SPF or SP?

I was wondering, if SP and SPF don't mix, how come they mix now? How come SP mixes with SPF to find out about books?

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    USPaperchaser, stop whinging and post the darn articles

So if I write a book you wouldn't buy it? I'm sooo disappointed now

So good that I'm not writing any, eh'
    You know I love your work too
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCooper
    Canvas / SVG
    Good suggestion, I'd be interested in this too.
    Also info on what's happening with Canvas 3d / WebGL.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not sure you've understood. Google "brown nosing".
    I'll google it.

This is the last time I answer a question in this thread. I'm very happy to answer any question but this thread needs to answer a question and I don't want to drift away from it.
    I'm SPF staff and the question is asked on behalf of SP staff

I was wondering, if SP and SPF don't mix, how come they mix now? How come SP mixes with SPF to find out about books?
    I wouldn't say that we don't mix, we're simply not related. Yet, the forum space and maintenance, and the programming time to add new features to vBulletin are paid by SP HQ. They also pay for other things (like all the expenses to host the forumcast) and SP HQ pays for all the prizes we give in our contests. As far as I know, they have never said no to anything we asked from them.

And now, enough of this. Any questions you want to ask, either pm them to me, or put them in another thread. Thanks

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see a good Ruby book that focuses on developing web sites and applications WITHOUT using rails. Rails is only a framework, and only one method of building a website using Ruby. I'd like to see a book focus on Rack, simple web frameworks like Sinatra, and getting down and dirty with simple but relatively low level concepts like setting HTTP headers, handling sessions, etc. People who learn Ruby and Rails at the same time are limiting themselves, and they lack understanding of fundamental concepts which would allow them to make better decisions.

Such a book may be beyond the scope of Sitepoint however.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    I echo USPaperchaser's comments in that the .NET community could be better served on this website...

Whoa! Guys! There is no bias here. I'm an ex .NET dev myself! This community is only as strong as it's members. We don't do anything to promote the PHP forum over the .NET one.

SP Admins, if I write a couple of .NET articles, and you approve the quality, would you post them on the website? Hell, I would do this for free... Just give me the green-light.
    I don't actually have any control over what we publish. Please email editor@sitepoint.com with your proposal and they'll go through the process with you. Either that or follow the link at the bottom of the page as Molona suggests.

I'm not sure how much of this is serious... brown nosing around me?? I am the only SPF staff member that works for SPHQ. That works well for us. If there are SP related questions here on the forum I answer them or take them to my colleagues. Otherwise, all my staff here are volunteers and they do an amazing job. From where I sit there is no brown-nosing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like a book(s) on...

1.) Hosting a Website

2.) Server Administration

3.) Hosting/Server Security

4.) Website Security

Debbie

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with web security. Most of the time you see some articles here and there but that's about it.