User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Ideas For SitePoint Books

It's that time again... we'd love to hear what subjects you'd like to read about. Do you have an idea for a SitePoint book? Now's your chance to let us know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been spending a lot of time learning social media API's. It's worth the effort, because every home page deserves a collapsible chromeless youtube player and custom twitter feed, but it took me ages to figure it all out. A Sitepoint book (or even just a small pdf guide that changes as the API's do) would save a lot of time for a lot of developers who are building applications like this.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentEmberson View Post
    I've been spending a lot of time learning social media API's. It's worth the effort, because every home page deserves a collapsible chromeless youtube player and custom twitter feed, but it took me ages to figure it all out. A Sitepoint book (or even just a small pdf guide that changes as the API's do) would save a lot of time for a lot of developers who are building applications like this.
    This is a great idea, and exactly what I came to suggest.

Social network APIs, like Twitter's OAuth and Facebook, Foursquare, Google, etc, including best practices, like ready made scripts that most people use versus recoding your own.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Django 1.3, Ruby on Rails 3.1
    Freelance CSS and PHP developer. Using CakePHP and jQuery.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Django and Python would make for a fantastic book, although my knowledge of both is limited it may be better to wait for when Django can use the newest version of Python.

One book I would love to see is one covering the latest version of ASP.NET MVC. There are a ton of guides out there, but there is definitely a gap in the market for a extensive book (especially as an ebook) covering everything a novice would need to know for writing a MVC application.

In addition to that idea, WordPress gets a lot of love on here, but there are plenty of other fantastic CMS's out there that deserve some much-needed attention. Hell, in the .NET world the likes of Sitecore and Umbraco have huge communities and a book on building a full website in Umbraco would be extremely profitable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, someone beat me to it, I will go with ASP.NET MVC3. Or, a Flash and/or Silverlight book. For that matter, RIA's in general. Coving all RIA's.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see a book on how to make a good news site on any specific subject I want, possibly how to integrate a forum with the site too.. I'm a newb though and this is probably basic.. (or there is already a book, if so point me there! )

I always come across many threads (not just here, many places) of people wanting to code their own login/registration system in PHP too.. something along those lines would be great..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything on Zend Framework would be cool... Especially using it to implement a RIA.
    Scott

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ecommerce using Magento or something similar

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    full application development in Drupal, rather than the usual boring web site stuff, how to create full blown/featured apps, like hotel reservations/room bookings, building a portal to allowing individual customers to see all their previous bookings and history, embedding drupal with windows live services (you can do it with Moodle so why not Drupal). you have a list of 30 things to make the site do and you build it out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In-depth Joomla and Drupal. I've seen books on both at the bookstore but not impressed.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All of the above

But I was going to say Drupal or Joomla

Social Media APIs sounds good too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebDonkey View Post

Let me change my mind. I agree with this guy, an E-Commerce book would be sweet. I can be written for ASP.NET MVC and PHP developers with code examples in both languages. I think that book would be a hit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see a ASP.NET MVC3 book and one around Webpages (Razor) & Sqlcompact.

Also working with and managing php on an IIS server.

Website life management, how to upgrade and not lost search engine placement, move from html to extensionless urls and all the other redesign issues in one place would need to cover url rewriting on apache & IIS.

Source code management & backup guides - maybe around git

and lasty HTML5 & CSS3 in the real world guide, what todo now and things to watch for.

Hope this list gives you a few ideas

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Building your own MVC Framework with OOP in php!

Also a course on this avaliable in the courses section would be tops!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Form processing with PHP.

It might, at first glance, seem like a small topic; but judging by what I have thus far discovered in my very long-running attempts to understand PHP and properly solve this question, I am sure that it could fill a book.

I would love to read a book that could take me through everything that is directly related to form processing, including: structuring the script, creating a well-formatted e-mail, sanitising the data, dealing with security exploits, filtering spam, example regular expressions to copy (and advice about modifying them), managing errors, dealing with Unicode… It is a long list and most of it is much harder than it ought to be.

Please plug this gap in the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A coffee table book about coffee tables.
    (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to Design a Website That Works

I've had an idea brewing in my head for a long time to write a "usability" book that deals with actual use-cases, conversion optimization, and overall site usefulness for a long time. I have a good concept for it, a good basis for the concept with real psychological research, and a good plan to write it...

I've also got some good real-world techniques I've been using that have afforded me up to 80% conversion rate on PPC traffic!!! This is an astounding figure that can be obtained by anyone with the right knowledge and tools, and I think a book is a good tool for sharing it (as it could profit me for giving away my techniques).

What I don't have is time to write a book! Do you guys have a basic outline or plan for book writing that simplifies it for prospective authors?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_stfc View Post
    Building your own MVC Framework with OOP in php!

Also a course on this avaliable in the courses section would be tops!
    I've been doing just that for the last few years... would love to make a book out of it!!

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Website advertising. What all the terminology means and step-by-step instructions on how to set up advertising on a basic website, and common blog and CMS platforms.

The most I usually see on this topic is watered down to "just put ads on your site" or "just sign up for google adsense" without much explanation beyond that (ie, what makes adwords good/bad to use? What makes other ad networks good/bad to use?)

I'm not sure if it would make a good book topic or not because it would be so specific and possibly time sensitive if you're comparing services, so it might be more appropriate for an article/blog post.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Some great ideas - thanks all. I'll be taking them to our brainstorming session.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Some great ideas - thanks all. I'll be taking them to our brainstorming session.
    If Kevin, Cameron Adams or Paul O B writes it I'll buy it.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a title for one already:

"Your digital invested powers - abusing them means you don't have them"

Recently, I've seen a niche for a digital boom era info-social book. Lately, a social digital awareness movement can be observed outlining the changes in our digital connected society looking at the way we communicate.

A book to prepare forum staff, for example. Administrator, moderators, on how to handle the power they receive. I've seen cases where this power can be too much for some.

True story. There was another forum I frequented. And there were some established users there making the forum successful. A moderator asked something in a forum, DEMANDING.

One of the more knowledgeable established users told him it's just not possible. That green mod simply didn't understand, it didn't had the proper training for it, so he took the advice as a personal offense. He started grilling the particular established user, using abject language and behavior and abusing his power to ultimately ban the user that didn't comply with his absurd wish.

The administrator of the forum didn't took any action against the mod's bad behavior, even more, supported this behavior.

That lead to a chain reaction among a number of highly contributing users to leave the forum, of course, all being banned for expressing their support for the user that told the mod that, by just being a mod, that's not grounds in real life to get anything he wishes. But his behavior lead to the death of a forum.

Putting the lid on situations occurring in your forum doesn't mean you solve them, it means you just hide them.

TRUE STORY!

For those interested, I can PM the link for that forum, where the whole discussion is still there to be read.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebDonkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USPaperchaser View Post
    I agree with this guy, an E-Commerce book would be sweet. I think that book would be a hit.
    It's odd that the only eCommerce sections in books have been occupied by either a PHP & MySQL eCommerce system or implementing an open-source solution. How about a book dedicated to both the theoretical and practical side of eCommerce Website Design, Development, and Production? It could also go into detail into say, OSCommerce, Magento, and something else.

Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    If Kevin, Cameron Adams or Paul O B writes it I'll buy it.
    If Kevin Yank, Tommy Olsson, or Paul O'Brien writes ANY book in the future I'll buy it.

And lastly a couple of my own ideas:

# Canvas / SVG Web Graphics Design and Development
    # Web Browser Game Development [HTML 5, CSS 3, JS, and whatever appropriate technologies, etc.]
    # I've tried searching for the last time you did a thread similar to this one because I'm sure I made some suggestions back then...Oh wait!
    # The Ultimate HTML Reference, 2nd Edition
    # The Ultimate CSS Reference, 2nd Edition
    # The Photoshop Anthology, 2nd Edition

See what they say about them suggestions / ideas If it helps, my #1 would be the eCommerce book.

Andrew Cooper