User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow changing my meta tags and titles

Hi -

I'm redesigning my site and my meta tags have remained the same for a few years now since I first created my site. Some words are no longer applicable and I've added some new sections that aren't included in my current tags.

My question is, is it ok (for search engine ranking, etc.) to change all/part of my meta tags? Will this hurt my current search engine ranking? I'm getting great results right now from google that I don't want to affect.

Also, what about my page <title> tag? My site's (ActorPoint.com) tag line is "Real Actors building a Real Community" and my current title tags are simple "ActorPoint.com [1-2 word page title] - Real Actors building a Real Community." Should I adjust it to include more keywords? I know google, for example, doesn't care about title but what would benefit me the most in the title tag?

Thanks for the input. (My biggest question is the changing/editing the meta tags!)

Josh

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be taking my word for it as I'm no expert, but of friend of mine who is was saying that nowadays your meta tags don't make a massive amount of difference to Google so I guess you'd be ok.

G

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google don't read no meta tags. At least not the Keywords tag for sure.
    Having keywords that don't apply to your site no more is worse than a change might ever do to your ranking. It shouldn't be too hard to create a good keywords tag. (for engines that still read it)
    In any case, the importance of these tags is minimal. What counts is the content of your page and possibly how it is optimized for search engines. Sites about web ranking often blab and blab about these tags because they are obvious. But they are mostly useless these days imo.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)