SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Colors, headers, and yucky logo...advice?

There is a local business site I need to redesign, and I'm having a devil of a time working out a color scheme. The logo is a simple rectangle, red with a white diagonal stripe. In the stripe are red letters in a serif font similar to Times New Roman The logo will unfortunately not be changing -- I tried to convince them to update it even subtly but the owner designed it himself years ago so of course he loves it, not to mention the logo is now pretty well known locally.

Any advice on how to at least do a header section with this logo? If i can get that down the rest should follow. Any ideas on design/color would be greatly appreciated. The company colors are of course red and white, and I'd like to introduce another color to the site to widen the design options, but in a subtle way so they don't think I'm rebranding their colors. Other than that, I basically have carte blanche to do as I wish with the site.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would it be possible to see the logo? either via link or attachment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iTec, thanks so much for responding I don't want to post the logo here as I don't know that it's appropriate to identify the company here, but if I can send you something or a link via PM, would that be ok? Thank you again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by anam
    I don't want to post the logo here as I don't know that it's appropriate to identify the company here, but if I can send you something or a link via PM, would that be ok? Thank you again
    mate.. is it really important to not to post the logo here ?? it would be nice if u posted it here though.. so that all of us would get the idea of what's ur prob
    Peace.

SitePoint Zealot bizboostdesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could design the header to match the logo, ie: have a white bg logo with a red bar for the menu... just keep the same colourscheme throughout so that a customer can instantly recognise the companies colours.
    Zing Dev! Webdesign and Graphics Firm, coming soon!
    Idoogle.com's Message Boards!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruchir, yeah I really don't want to post it here. But it shouldn't be hard to visualize, it's just a red rectangle with a white diagonal stripe in the middle, red serif text on the white stripe. Tremendously simple (and boring and ugly).

Bizboostdesign, thanks so much for your input. I thought to leave it on a white background since it doesn't seem to go well with anything else, and just put a thin-line box around the entire header (and do as you say using red navigation, horizontal along the bottom of the header) -- but that seems so flat and plain and dead boring, just that red rectangle on white. The only other thing that would probably be in the header is a tag line and their address and phone numbers. All in all, a tremendously boring header. I'm ok with ideas for the rest of the page, thankfully. I just wish I knew how to jazz up a header for it. I'm stumped!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, ok I just had an idea so I may as well share As the entire page will have a white background I don't want the header section to be all white as well...so do you think pale grey would go well with the red? I was thinking logo to the left per usual, and to the right, fading in (i.e. totally faded before it reaches the logo, some pale grey lines or grid. Is that too much of having straight lines?