SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUT WILL IT SELL MORE PAINT?! Tell me all the ways a website can make $.

My husband pitched a marvelous sales presentation to his uncle about why he should upgrade his website. He showed him an intial redesign, and told him the benefits of having a more professional online presence. His uncle would say after each brillant point, "Wow, that's great! But will it sell more paint?" My husband innately knew that a better site would help the company greatly. However, he was unsure of how to pin down how the site would make the company more money.

I am about to start approaching prosepective customers in various industries myself and I want to answer their bottom line question of how we can make their website make them money.

Can you tell me ALL the ways that websites are used to generate their users money?

So far I know:
    1. Write a newsletter to which people subscribe and then use it as a vehicle to promote the business to potential and old customers.
    2. Sell products using a shopping cart.
    3. Offer online customer service, which encourages repeat business.

I would appreciate any creative suggestions you have or other posts and articles to which you could direct me.

Thank you kindly,
    Rebecka
    -------------------------
    Rebecka Christenson
    Highly Inspired Web Development
    Connecting Web Developers to their inspired life! www.highlyinspired.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - Ill give it a go :-) - been awhile so bare with me ill try not to rant...

There are a few main types of websites:
    Business (online sales)
    Business (brochure style)
    Business (services - Online)

Business's who have online sales:
    These sites need a fully functional, inuitive design thats easy for even the most inexperienced surfer to peruse. These sites also need to look incredibly professional - would you buy something online on a site that looked like some frontpage hack thru together on a geocities site?

Business that sell services online:
    These sites are pretty much the same as above, however their income is not generated directly via online sales - instead they are generated by people utilizing the services designed and inplemented on the website.

Brochure style websites:
    By far the most common and most effective method of websites for business, these sites typically have absolutely no direct method of judging their generated sales.
    These sites are designed as an enhancement to ones business portfolio whose sole purpose is to inform and expand on services or products from a business. Think of these websites as a huge, full colour brochure and shoudl be presented as such.
    Business's typically spend hundreds of dollars on a single one shot ad in a local newspaper. By using minimal (inexpensive) advertising that points to a well designed website then the business has expanded on its advertising to its maximum potential.
    With more and more people expecting a URL - and actually visiting a website for a service or to check for pricing/info.

This is how the brochure website is best marketed:
    It doesnt sell paint - you sell paint - a website allows people to know you sell paint and can present your paint in the best possible manner.

The main obstacle i've found in brochure style websites is the business owners inability to recognize that a direct sale isnt the end all be all of websites. Once you overcome that and they accept that a websites inst just about direct sales but rather a tool to generate sales - then it should be an easy ride.
    myNovaScotia.Net
    Nova Scotia Communities online
    http://www.mynovascotia.net

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fools rush in, so here I am.

Once upon a time, I was in a lumberyard buying a bunch of stuff and I picked up a paint brush. I looked at it and wondered, "How the heck do they make all the curves in that wooden handle?"

Once upon another time, much later, I worked for a company that made the handles and now I know. In fact, I ended up designing many of them.

What I'm suggesting is that your husband's uncle's website could become known as a resource for all esoteric data related to paint.

Did you know that the best professional paint brushes are still hand assembled right here in the US?

Ask your husband's uncle how many whites there are. I bet he'll laugh and shake his head. Color mixing and matching is a fascinating subject.

Of course, if he's running a small retail outfit and wants to spend $250 on a website, this won't be practical.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website is a cross between your store front and your salesman. You wouldn't purposely run a store in a rundown old building with chipped paint and rusted fixtures. And you wouldn't hire a salesman who came in late, stinking of beer and with dirty clothes on.

So why do you have a website that doesn't look professional? The quality of your website reflects on your business and if it doesn't look professional, neither does your business.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    Your website is a cross between your store front and your salesman. You wouldn't purposely run a store in a rundown old building with chipped paint and rusted fixtures. And you wouldn't hire a salesman who came in late, stinking of beer and with dirty clothes on.

So why do you have a website that doesn't look professional? The quality of your website reflects on your business and if it doesn't look professional, neither does your business.
    I like this.... can I use it
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also an option to point out to him how having a website can save him money. Ask him how much he spends if he places an ad in the local newspaper, and how much money that brings him. Usually, the cost of a website is far less than a print-ad advertising campaign.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good point Peter, but one thing to take into account is that for the website to be truly succesful, it probably needs some print advertising pushing it.

Saving money by way of online Customer support is a good pitch, however.

I love the comments so far. (i'm Rebecka's husband).

When telling a customer WHY they need a website tho, the biggest reason you want to display is how it will generate an income for itself. How will it pay for itself?

What sort of things can be said?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iwinweekly.com

I like this.... can I use it
    Go ahead. I thought up a variety of that axiom a couple years ago.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums