SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copyright question...how does this site do what it does >>

Hey, I was wondering if I could use articles off of sites that I might find useful to my own site for users...and reference the domain and publisher of the article. I'm assuming this isn't legal? If so, how do sites like www.theregister.co.uk do what they do? Their entire site is news copied from somewhere else. Any ideas?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need permission and most likely a signed agreement between both parties in case any legal issues arise.

You cannot just start copying articles from sites and even if you provide a link back to the web site, you still do not have permission.

Forum Mathematics Geek Agent Dwarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably have to pay a chunk of money to do that legally. I think your best bet would be to link and have a quick summary with a "read more..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair use

there is something called "fair use". If you use less than 400 words of an article or a "small portion" of it for educational purposes and you cite the source, you can do it without asking. i've been doing that at work for an educational site. the "small portion" of it can be discussed at length, but really it's common sense. get copyright permissions for anything you use in entirety. the reason i mentioned "small portion" is b/c 1 article that we have an except of is 35 pages long!!
    The Internet is prettier on a Mac.