SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me with google.

Hello all. I have a problem with getting listed with google. I first submitted my sites about 8 months back. I used a pay service for inktomi, and got listed there with both domains. I also submitted to google, which after about a month it listed me. I figured google would automatically crawl my sites after that, but one of my domains actually ceases to exist now, and the other is old old information in google cache. Please help me with some advice. I resubmitted the site that is gone, but still no googlebot in my logs. I have two sites, www.rockymountainpc.com and www.cherrypick.net. cherrypick.net is the bigger problem of the two. I also added them to the directory search...DMOZ.

I would appreciate any advice. I have read at least 100 or more articles on search engine optimization etc, but still even have problems getting over 100 users to my site in a month. It's rather pathetic . Thanks again.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need backwards links to be listed in Google. Try getting listed in yahoo or DMOZ first.

Also, it can take awhile to get listed. Google only does a deep crawl/update once a month, so if you hit right after they've done it it can be 7 weeks before you're listed.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aspen

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried to get listed in DMOZ, and got nothing for both sites. I searched on them recently and couldn't find them anyway. I posted them to the exact directories 8 months ago. RMPC posted to web design and development and cherrypick posted to business...biz services...outsourcing. I get the feeling something is just not right, but I can't put my finger on it. I abided by all the "rules", and got the shaft somewhere. I don't spam or cloak. Just did one submission for each site.....arg.

When you say backward links, do you mean me cluttering my page to link to other sites? Or trying to find other sites to link to me? Thanks again Aspen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some reciprocal links with sites with high PR(>5) preferred. I have hundreds linking to my site so it never miss-spiders mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another question about google

I have another question about google. Can I submit Multiple URL's to google. Like cherrypick.net/info.html and cherrypick.net/research.html? If I make static pages on my domain that are linked to my homepage, but my homepage doesn't have links to them, this is the only way to get them listed correct? Since google has no way of spidering to them through the homepage. Let me know if I am way off here. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can submit multiple pages, it'd be a waste of time though since Google will spider an entire site if you just submit one page.

You need to get links to your site. Also try submitted to regional specific categories in DMOZ (find one for your town).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so...

so the spider will find my pages regardless of links to them? so I could submit my homepage....and magically google with find other pages that are static with no incoming links to them? If I had a page called nothing.htm with some text and no links to it...it would be found? That was my real question, I don't think I phrased it correctly before. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No... if nothing points to a page and you don't submit it it won't be found.

Also don't think you can just make pages that link to your homepage and submit them to increase link popularity. It doesn't work like that.

To find out how much a link helps divide the source pages' PageRank by the number of links on the page.

So your source page will have a PageRank of 0, and 0/X is 0. The link would not help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed on your rockymountainpc site

that some of your navigation links are affiliate links leading straight off the site ...... perhaps that isn't helping your cause either.

I haven't checked them out, but if one of these companies is doing something which the search engines don't like, this will really hurt your chances of doing well.

Hope that helps!

Mar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when will google crawl next

Does anyone know when google will crawl next...just need a rough estimate as I may be switching hosts. I don't want to be switching right as it crawls, being how I just resubmitted. Thanks,

Jeremy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally the first week of the month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

finally

So finally google crawled rockymountainpc.com for me. And crawled the crap out of it. Of course there is no reason why it took so long to do it, and why there was a 5 month gap between crawls.

Cherrypick.net still hasn't been crawled even though I submitted them at the same time. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy