SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Earthlink's Pop-up blocker

By default, Earthlink's new anti-pop up software kills every link on a page that opens a new window, including banners if you have them.

Write to them at presslink@earthlink.net and tell them that links that are clicked to open a new window should not be considered in the same manner as un-requested pop-up advertising.

I applaud what they are trying to do, but we all know that the majority of users will be incapapble of figuring out how to change the default.

I don't know how many users this will translate into for my site, but it would seem elementary that clicking on a link should open it.

Eric V. Orange (EVO)
    http://www.LocalWineEvents.com
    http://www.WineFederation.com
    281-240-2264

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, kinda. Most users who are clued up enough to use the software would be able to turn that feature on IF they want it. On the other hand, if a new valid window is going to spawn from a link, I find it polite that the person who made the page tells you in text before hand.

Popups annoy me, horrible malarky with no need if you ask me, but if you know its going to happen then its no big deal to me. I can see both sides of the argument.

Would recommend Mozilla to anyone looking for a BROWSER with a popup killer, but only in the sense that itll block and new windows you havent invoked yourself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >Most users who are clued up enough to use the software would be able to turn that feature on IF they want it.

I couldn't disagree more with this, glenplake. I recently installed a way for folks to post wine events to my site via email. On the face of it, it's pretty darn simple and the few intructions (I started with) were very clear. You would not believe, absolutely would not believe, the number of ways people have messed it up. Some repeatedly.

As for opening a new window, from the standpoint of offering links to other sites, but not willing to just blindly send traffic away, I think it's only sensible.

But that is just my opinion.
    Eric V. Orange (EVO)
    Local Wine Events.com
    *A schedule of events in your city*
    http://www.LocalWineEvents.com

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by EVO

As for opening a new window, from the standpoint of offering links to other sites, but not willing to just blindly send traffic away, I think it's only sensible.

Yes, I agree, but only find it reasonable if the user is told that a new window will open when they click, AND they dont find themselves in a framed window, thats one of my pet hates.